Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Headscratcher...

Re: Headscratcher...

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    I would have to agree with you. The only difference is that I get most of mine from dead animals.
    Some apes pinch the heads off the bugs first rendering them dead.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Some apes pinch the heads off the bugs first rendering them dead.
    Yummy

I'll have to add those DVDs to my list. I'm always looking for a good show to add to the library, especially considering there's very little new programming I find worthwhile.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Northern Exposure is the greatest show ever! Hey Crash, could you point me in the direction of the boots?
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer
    Northern Exposure is the greatest show ever! Hey Crash, could you point me in the direction of the boots?
    Check out this thread on actsofvolition.com.

http://www.actsofvolition.com/archiv...r/1000northern

Start about half-way down and read the posts that go to the bottom. This is the guy (Art) that does the boots. It seems that there have been some complaints (or just hecklers, as the case may be) since I purchased mine. Here's my report card on Art's work:

- The quality is not close to what you're going to get from store bought DVDs. I had some problems playing them on an old DVD player. I also have a newer DVD player, and that one plays them fine. Be aware that the discs themselves are not the highest quality, and you could have problems depending on your DVD player.

- It seems that he's no longer selling the seasons that have been released on DVD, but you can still get the other seasons...and it looks like he's dropped the price by 75-80 cents per episode. I'm not sure I'd want to go the bootleg route if I didn't get the whole series -- just my preference as it was nice to have all 110 episodes in similar format.

- I had a strange experience with "Art." We had several pleasant e-mail exchanges while we were making arrangements for payment, shipping dates, etc. He sent the discs in 3 or 4 shipments, which was OK by me. However, upon receiving my final shipment, I noticed that I was short one disc. I didn't have Season 4, episodes 2-6 (5 episodes per disc on Art's boots). I e-mailed Art to tell him I never received disc "I", and he just flat-out didn't believe that it wasn't sent. I'm not one to haggle over a few bucks here and there, so I believe we settled on something like an additional $8 fee for him to re-send disc "I." Upon receiving the disc, I probably waited a few days before I got around to sending in the $8 check. The day I sent the check, I received a very unpleasant e-mail from Art basically lecturing me on upholding my agreements and calling me a fink. That was a very odd experience. Art likes his $8 checks to arrive promptly when he forgets to send his discs.

- Overall, I'm happy with the discs. My girlfriend and I watch them all the time, and it's kind of become a routine of sorts to pick out an episode to watch at the end of the night while we're going to sleep. We both feel like we've gotten our money's worth out of the deal. I'd say it's only worth it if, like me, you absolutely have to have every episode...and you have to have them right now!
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Thanks. The last time I checked I believe only the first season was available and it hadn't even been released yet. I did find a bunch of episodes on LimeWire but it would be sweet to have 'em all.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Gotta agree about Northern Exposure. I watched it when it ran on network. Maybe my favorite show ever.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Anybody catch Mr. Tony on the radio this morning?

Fantastic interview with renowned author David Halberstam.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

I had him on, but I didn't listen to much due to meetings. I heard the Mel segment and a ranting about some biker who hates people who drives SUVs.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis
    Anybody catch Mr. Tony on the radio this morning?

Fantastic interview with renowned author David Halberstam.

Yes, it was outstanding. Too bad they didn't have more time, I can't say that about many sports talk radio guests.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed
    Yes, it was outstanding. Too bad they didn't have more time, I can't say that about many sports talk radio guests.
    Have you read any of Halberstam's books? I haven't checked out the Belichek one that they were talking about today because I was waiting for the paperback.

I've read a couple of his baseball books and The Fifites & The Best and the Brightest. I can't recommened his works highly enough. Whether your interest is history, journalism or sports, he's right there near the top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis
    Have you read any of Halberstam's books? I haven't checked out the Belichek one that they were talking about today because I was waiting for the paperback.

I've read a couple of his baseball books and The Fifites & The Best and the Brightest. I can't recommened his works highly enough. Whether your interest is history, journalism or sports, he's right there near the top of the list.
    Ditto on the Halberstam recommendation. Another hidden gem is his "The Breaks of the Game" about the 1979 Portland Trailblazers with Bill Walton, Jack Ramsey, Maurice Lucas, Lionel Hollins, etc.

And back on the base note, Dan Patrick is from the town I live in (Mason OH). With my sister and family, we went to a local Gold Star Chili last Christmas and Patrick was there with some friends. My nephew goes to Florida State and is a huge sports fan and was completely bedazzled that Patrick was there.

Pay attention to the open sky

If you get a chance read The Reckoning, awesome piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Ditto on the Halberstam recommendation. Another hidden gem is his "The Breaks of the Game" about the 1979 Portland Trailblazers with Bill Walton, Jack Ramsey, Maurice Lucas, Lionel Hollins, etc.
    I've looked for that book in the past, but I've not been able to find it. I've read that it's one of the best sports books ever written. One of these days I'll check it out...the library is probably my best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    If you get a chance read The Reckoning, awesome piece.
    That's the one about the auto industry, right? I haven't had a chance to read that one yet, but I'll add it to the list.

woy: while I've got you on the line, I have a question for you: remember that thread from last year (or so) about Dylan...5 favorite Dylan songs or something like that? I've tried to find that thread a few times in the past because I wanted to see if anybody saw the Scorcese special on PBS about Dylan a month or two ago. Did you happen to catch it? That was great television.

Also, I just recently found out that (mostly because she was in the PBS special) Joan Baez' "Diamonds & Rust" was written about Dylan. What a great song!

Well, you burst on the scene, already a legend
    The unwashed phenomenon, the original vegabond

Now you're telling me, you're not nostalgic
    Then give me another word for it, you who are so good with words
    And at keeping things vague, because I need some of that vagueness now

Turn Off Ads?