Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deters wants to make example out of fan who ran onto field

Deters wants to make example out of fan who ran onto field

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...WS01/511220337

Greg Gall, who ran onto the field at Paul Brown Stadium during a Bengals home game last month, faces an opponent tougher than he probably expected: Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters.

In an unusual move, Deters fired off a letter Monday to Hamilton County Municipal Judge David Stockdale urging him to impose jail time for the rogue fan.

"Unless a strong message is sent, our ability to enjoy our football stadium is compromised," Deters wrote. "It is for these reasons my office seeks at least 30 days of incarceration."

Gall, 31, of Mount Washington, ran onto the field and snatched the football from Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre during a Bengals home game Oct. 30. Security quickly tackled Gall and arrested him on charges of criminal trespassing, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct while intoxicated.

"I feel very strongly about this," Deters said. "We need to hold people personally responsible for this type of behavior. If we don't, stupid acts like this will inspire copycat actions and result in increased limitations and restrictions for everybody."

Gall, who is free without bond, faces up to four months in jail and up to 30 hours of community service. However, no jail time is mandatory. After a meeting last week, an assistant prosecutor left believing Stockdale would not impose jail time, Deters said.

Deters also pointed out that Gall has a prior conviction from 1995 on a charge of aggravated assault stemming from a drunken bar fight in which he beat somebody with a pilsner glass.

Scott Rubenstein, Gall's lawyer, said he had hoped to work out a plea deal Wednesday in which Gall would plead guilty to criminal trespass in exchange for the dismissal of the more serious charge, resisting arrest.

Such a plea deal could mean no jail time, Rubenstein said. A disorderly conduct conviction does not carry a jail term.

"I'm hoping for probation," Rubenstein said. "I hope the judge still sees it for what it is - an otherwise responsible, law-abiding citizen who made a bad decision. He's got a lot at stake here."

Rubenstein said he understands that county officials and the Bengals want to prevent others from following in Gall's footsteps.

"I don't think jail time will have the intended affect," Rubenstein said. "People who have followed this case and seen what's happened to him absolutely understand this is not a funny thing to do, or a heroic thing to do.

"It's not worth it for 15 minutes of fame."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Deters wants to make example out of fan who ran onto field

I'm all for detering this kind of thing, but 30 days in the pokey seems like a lot.
    Makes all the routine posts.

How on earth do you beat someone with a pilsner glass? Those things break the first time you crack someone over the head with them.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Jail time (other than maybe 1 day), is way too extreme.

Does the prosecuter honestly think that a drunk guy thinks through all the legal precedents and wieghs the possible punishment before running out on the field?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I think the fines and court costs are enough. Besides, I thought it was funny to watch on TV, especially when the guy got drilled by security.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

624 hours of community service, roughly 1 year and 6 months of 8 hour Saturdays, the State doesn't have to pay for his upkeep and they in return get 624 hours of labor.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    How on earth do you beat someone with a pilsner glass? Those things break the first time you crack someone over the head with them.
    You could hit them with the bottom of the glass while holding the other end. That's pretty thick down there and you could really hurt someone with it.

As for jail time, I think that's a bit much. It's not going to deter anyone drunk enough to go out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I understand the gent was intoxicated to no end and therefore not at all thinking clearly, but I'm in great favor of the penal system making examples. As a society we've decided that things like this are cute or funny and it abolishes every bit of societal integrity we have. The decay of our country in terms of situations just like this is getting to the critical point. If control isn't already lost it soon will be. Now I don’t mean to blow this out of proportion any further than I already have, but as a rule if we don’t keep a level of civility and in doing so a degree of crime and punishment, then the country and the world will continue to degenerate.

It’s the first step, the slope is slippery.

All that said, WOY is pretty well on, do something severe like a year or more of community service, or weekends in jail for a year, anything that will deter further peoples from doing this and not looking at it like it’s a harmless and amusing prank.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    I understand the gent was intoxicated to no end and therefore not at all thinking clearly, but I'm in great favor of the penal system making examples. As a society we've decided that things like this are cute or funny and it abolishes every bit of societal integrity we have. The decay of our country in terms of situations just like this is getting to the critical point. If control isn't already lost it soon will be. Now I don’t mean to blow this out of proportion any further than I already have, but as a rule if we don’t keep a level of civility and in doing so a degree of crime and punishment, then the country and the world will continue to degenerate.

All that said, WOY is pretty well on, do something severe like a year or more of community service, or weekends in jail for a year, anything that will deter further peoples from doing this and not looking at it like it’s a harmless and amusing prank.
    Weekends in jail for a year?

IMO, Imposing jail time in a case like this is inappropriate. Giving him a huge amount of community service is sufficient. Maybe, like someone else mentioned, a ceremonial day in jail. Anything beyond that is excessive.

For reference, what did Morganna the kissing bandit ever get? What about the guys who assaulted the Royals' third base coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph

I'm not saying the guy who ran out on the field is blameless but security there was the bigger culprit. It's their job to keep that from happening and not stand around watching the ball game. I'll bet you that this guy wouldn't have gone out there if he were sober either. This guy could have been a pillar of his community, good husband and father, excellent worker and just does dumbass things when he gets drunk.

You could give people severe jail time and make it a felony and they would still do it because they are drunk and aren't thinking rationally.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

So the solution is to stop tailgating and to cut off beer sales.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    You can't legislate behavior. I'm sure the Bengals price their beer not only to make a handsome profit but to restrict demand. Restricting demand keeps them from running out of beer and it gives fans pause before buying a 2nd or 3rd or 5th beer. If beer were only $1 a bottle they couldn't keep it in stock and you'd have a helluva lot more drunks than you have now.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Ladies and gentlemen the owner of the Worcester Ruby Legs!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I think the fines and court costs are enough. Besides, I thought it was funny to watch on TV, especially when the guy got drilled by security.
    That security guy should be on the defensive line.

Turn Off Ads?