Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owens' suspension upheld by arbitrator

Owens' suspension upheld by arbitrator

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...ball-headlines

BY BOB GLAUBER
    STAFF WRITER

November 23, 2005, 8:51 AM EST

An arbitrator is expected to rule later today that Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens' suspension will be reduced to one or two games, and that he will immediately be reinstated. However, that won't be the end of the story.

A league source familiar with the Eagles' situation said this morning that the team is prepared to release Owens if he decides to return to the team and create a distraction.

If Owens' suspension is reduced, he would be permitted to return to the team to work out at the facility. However, the Eagles have stated they plan to de-activate him for the remainder of the season. Owens has said he wants to play for the Eagles again, but if they don't want him, he'd rather be released.

If Owens is released, he would be subject to the league's waiver system, where teams with the worst record would have the first chance to put a claim on him. It's uncertain which teams, if any, would claim Owens, who makes $3.75 million in base salary this season.
    Last edited by savafan; 11-23-2005 at 03:57 PM.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Owens' suspension will be reduced

Can you imagine if this whole thing went down and Owens made it all the way through waivers without being claimed.

Would he then be a free agent, or could the Eagles then just de-activate him and force him to miss the rest of the season?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

There's some kind of a clause in his deal where he has to pay back his bonus if he's suspended for more than 2 games or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

If he is released, I hope that the Ravens sign him ....and then put him on the bench for six games without catching a pass. Just make him sit there and endure their fan abuse.

A guy can dream can't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    If he is released, I hope that the Ravens sign him ....and then put him on the bench for six games without catching a pass. Just make him sit there and endure their fan abuse.

That would be simply beautiful.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Retired

Some team will take a chance on him. With all the publicity over this he'll be on his best behavior for the remainder of the season. With his history of throwing hissy fits I'm not sure if any team will give him a fat deal next season, if anything I would guess it would be an incentive laden contract with multiple conduct clauses.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie

You forgot the part about scrimmaging against the Ravens defense - Ray Lewis in particular.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    You forgot the part about scrimmaging against the Ravens defense - Ray Lewis in particular.
    Coach: "Let's run that pass over the middle one more time just to make sure we got it right."

I actually like to watch TO's game, so I for one would be glad to see him suit up somewhere in '05, but new reports seem to indicate he has lost his appeal.

Retired

Reports are saying the suspension has been upheld.

Edit: Yup, confirmed. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10087982/

Bradley C Bower / AP

Wide receiver Terrell Owens was suspended four games by the Philadelphia Eagles for conduct detrimental to the team.

Updated: 2:04 p.m. ET Nov. 23, 2005

NEW YORK - Terrell Owens’ season is effectively over after an arbitrator ruled Wednesday that the Philadelphia Eagles were justified in suspending him for four games.

Arbitrator Richard Bloch wrote that the Eagles clearly proved that the suspension was justified, and were within their right to pay their All-Pro receiver but not allow him to return “due to the nature of his conduct and its destructive and continuing threat to the team.”

The Eagles did not immediately comment after the decision was announced.

“We are pleased that the arbitrator has upheld the right of a club to suspend a player for conduct detrimental to the club,” said Harold Henderson, the NFL’s head of labor relations. “The ruling makes clear that Terrell Owens and his agent engaged in conduct that was disruptive to the Eagles and that coach Reid’s decision to suspend the player was appropriate.”

Bloch heard more than 13 hours of testimony last week. Owens’ side argued the penalty is excessive and the Eagles’ decision to deactivate him is too severe. Owens wanted to be reinstated to the Eagles or released so he can sign with another team.

Owens was suspended Nov. 5 after he again criticized quarterback Donovan McNabb, called the organization “classless” and fought with former teammate Hugh Douglas, who serves as team “ambassador.”

Two days later, the Eagles extended the suspension to four games and told Owens not to return. The reigning conference champions are 0-3 without Owens and 4-6 overall, last in the NFC East.

Owens has five years remaining on a seven-year, $48.97 million contract that he signed when he came to Philadelphia in March 2004. His problems started when he demanded a new contract after an outstanding season in which he caught 77 passes for 1,200 yards and 14 touchdowns, helping the Eagles reach the Super Bowl.

With Owens, the Eagles are 17-5 over two seasons. Without him, they’re 2-5, including two meaningless losses and two playoff wins.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
    Last edited by Reds4Life; 11-23-2005 at 02:12 PM.

What the crap?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Somebody at Newsday is going to have a real long afternoon.

Bob Glauber to be exact.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Somebody at Newsday is going to have a real long afternoon.

Bob Glauber to be exact.
    Rosenhaus was probably his source.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Good ruling by the NFL.....maybe Rosenhaus' antics will finally be eliminated

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Good ruling by the NFL.....maybe Rosenhaus' antics will finally be eliminated
    If I were a client of his, I'd look for different representation. If I were looking for new representation, I wouldn't be looking at him.

Nice job, Drew. What's 20% of nothing?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?