Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox, Playstation2, or Game Cube

Xbox, Playstation2, or Game Cube

I searched for this but came up empty- wasn't a thread on here about thisa a while back? I am considering buying my kids a system for Christmas. I know there are these 3. I am not interersted in DVD playing abilities, or playiong on line, or downloads. They are ages 8 and 4. I wouldn't play much, except with them. I don't know the difference between these 3, and I am not ointerested in 360 or PS3. Any advice or opinions? Thanks.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Re: Xbox, Playstation2, or Game Cube

I'd say Playstation 2. That platform has tons of games available and new releases typically come out for PS2 sooner than XBOX.

For kids that young go with the Game Cube. Nintendo aims for that age group quite a bit, and it shows with their games. Lots of kid friendly stuff that doesn't suck.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I have the PS2 and I love it.

There are games for:
    Spongebob Squarepants
    Lemony Snicket
    Harry Potter
    Polar Express

I'm sure there are other kid friendly games as well
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

The Gamecube is definitely aimed more at younger kids - without a doubt.

But the PS2 just has many more game choices.

Honestly, you really can't go wrong with either of those two.

The Xbox is something I wouldn't give too much thought too, it's aimed at older teens/adults.

They can grow into the PS2!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    They can grow into the PS2!
    By the time they grow into it the ps3 will be half price
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    For kids that young go with the Game Cube. Nintendo aims for that age group quite a bit, and it shows with their games. Lots of kid friendly stuff that doesn't suck.
    WE AGREE ON SOMETHING! DID EVERYONE FEEL THAT?

But RF is right. Especially for the volume of games that are age appropriate. My kids have two, and played such game variations as Sonic and the Hedghog and others. Pretty tame stuff.

Just be prepared, as the parent (pusher) to introduce your kids to something that is very, very addictive. It's too late for my kids, because they are older; but if I could do it all over again, I'd strongly regulate it because that is all my kids ever want to do - sit on their butts, get little exercise, and play video games.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    WE AGREE ON SOMETHING! DID EVERYONE FEEL THAT?

But RF is right. Especially for the volume of games that are age appropriate. My kids have two, and played such game variations as Sonic and the Hedghog and others. Pretty tame stuff.

Just be prepared, as the parent (pusher) to introduce your kids to something that is very, very addictive. It's too late for my kids, because they are older; but if I could do it all over again, I'd strongly regulate it because that is all my kids ever want to do - sit on their butts, get little exercise, and play video games.
    My 13 year old son lives for three activities: Playing sports, watching sports on TV, and playing videogames (mostly sports) on his PS2. He is extremely addicted to the PS2.
    My 14 year old son will play his PS2 on occasion, but he isn't addicted, prefering to hunt, ride motorcycles and see his girlfriend.
    My 8 year old son sometimes plays an old Nitendo.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I just went through this 919191.. My kids are roughly your age. They're getting a gamecube for Christmas. There was far more age appropriate games that were readily available, IMO.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

University of Cincinnati

for kids that are 8 and 4 id go with game cube u cant go wrong when ur that age with Super Mario games
    THE University of Cincinnati

We bought our oldest son a GameCube two Christmas' ago. He never really seemed to cling to it (not that I mind). He plays it about once every month or so. We have SpongeBob, Mario, Tony Hawk, SSX, SSX2, SSX tricky, a bunch of motorcycle-motocross games, and a BMX game.

He enjoys them when he plays, but like I said, he doesn't play often. Your usage may vary.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

WAGS

gamecube for the kids, the controllers are more suited for the kids, as are the ps2 controllers.

for the xbox though it seems like you're holding a freaking watermellon in your hands its so huge.

most console systems usually carry the same games, but to me its all about controller size...which is where i'd probably chose the gamecube.

I went with the Game Cube- got the Mario Game Cube Game Bundle- has a Mario game and an extra controller for 99 bucks. All this from the comfort of my seat here- I like on line shopping! I still need to get a memory card, but there's plenty of time for that. Thanks for all your advice!
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Myers had a nice mem card (over 1000 blocks) for about $17, it was on closeout at least at a Columbus store.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?