Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds new ownership to leave 700 WLW?

Reds new ownership to leave 700 WLW?

I heard on 700 this morning around 8:30-9AM that one of the new owners, is pursuing the possibility of buying a radio station in town to air the Reds games. The contract between WLW and the Reds ends after the 2006 season. According to the report, it was stated that this potential move is similar to what the Cardinals did last year.

They only aired this once. Matt700WLW, what are you hearing?

I would really hate this because most AM stations in Ohio have the broadcast power of a plastic toy walkie talkie at night. WLW is the flame thrower. Perhaps this is a move to get all of us on XM or Sirrus?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Reds new ownership to leave 700 WLW?

Regardless of the truth to this particular rumor, hopefully that is a sign that they understand and are addressing the vast potential market instead of the "small market" blues that we've heard as an excuse from this regime.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

It might be a blessing in disguise. The new owners might set up a more far ranging radio network. They might actually try to get some of the games on local TV too.

As far as I'm concerned, they have free reign to change anything in the "status quo".. Allen has done just about everything wrong.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    It might be a blessing in disguise. The new owners might set up a more far ranging radio network. They might actually try to get some of the games on local TV too.

As far as I'm concerned, they have free reign to change anything in the "status quo".. Allen has done just about everything wrong.

I agree. Probably the worst thing they could do would be to leave things the way they are now.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I agree change is needed, but how many of you grew up with Marty and Joe, listening to them at night, as you fell asleep? If you take that away you will lose both young fans and old people who don't have satellite or cable.

The new owners might set up a more far ranging radio network.
    That may be true, the problem is that once nightfall happens people in outlying areas get cut off because AM stations must lower the power of their signal. I live 15 miles from Sidney, 20 miles from Bellefontaine, and 25 miles from Lima and I cannot get a signal on my best radio from any of them after dusk. 700 WLW is one of the few stations that can broadcast at full power after dark. That is why they are called "The nation's station."
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Put em on 1360

Go Gators!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck
    I agree change is needed, but how many of you grew up with Marty and Joe, listening to them at night, as you fell asleep? If you take that away you will lose both young fans and old people who don't have satellite or cable.

That may be true, the problem is that once nightfall happens people in outlying areas get cut off because AM stations must lower the power of their signal. I live 15 miles from Sidney, 20 miles from Bellefontaine, and 25 miles from Lima and I cannot get a signal on my best radio from any of them after dusk. 700 WLW is one of the few stations that can broadcast at full power after dark. That is why they are called "The nation's station."
    You have a computer, so mlb radio is a very inexpensive option, about $15 a year. I would hope that if they go to a lesser signal for the flagship, that they would have more affiliates, which doesn't solve you problem, necessarily, but may bring more fans in.

And I grew up listening to Marty and Joe, but I won't quit listening when both of them are gone. Marty needs to retire, anyhow
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Just so this thread doesn't go in a direction it shouldn't, a point needs to be made. Marty is an an employee of the Reds, not WLW. If the broadcasts leave WLW, it doesn't necessarily mean Marty will no longer be part of the broadcasts.

Heck one of the posters here told me about WKKI fm in Ohio,so i get the crystal clear FM radio Reds games.Listen live on the net for free.

If it weren't for WLW, I might have become a Cards fan.

With the new ownership coming over from St. Louis, I'm sure they've heard all the arguments pro and con for owning their own radio station.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD
    If it weren't for WLW, I might have become a Cards fan.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    With the new ownership coming over from St. Louis, I'm sure they've heard all the arguments pro and con for owning their own radio station.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit.
    Yep, having a media outlet that you run and charge ads for beats the snot out of paying a 3rd party to do it for you, all whilst you get aligned to the Furmans and Cunnigham's of the world.

No thanks, real money is to be made in this business, that's why Powell Crosley started WLW, the Crosley of the 30's wouldn't let the Reds be in a poor media contract, but the older Crosley would... Lindner is alot like the older Crosley was.

Time to change more than the players.
    Last edited by westofyou; 11-25-2005 at 08:40 PM.

They keep leaking out little crumbs of hope, hints that some new thinking is on the horizon.

I hope it's not a mirage.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

RE: WLW...

The good thing about it would be the loss of Tracy Jones and Andy Furman post game shows (and pre-game shows). Drives me nuts.

The bad thing about replacing WLW is the loss of the 50,000 watt station that carries the Reds through about (I forget how many) states. XM is wonderful, but not everyone who would miss the WLW signal has XM. I think you would lose fans instead of gaining them. Up until about five years ago, we always had a local station carrrying the Reds. No more. It's WLW or XM, and sometimes I'm not near an XM radio. I would miss those games.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?