Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Clark Griswold asks for HELP with Christmas Lights!

Clark Griswold asks for HELP with Christmas Lights!

Ok I am trying to get my outdoor Christmas Lights up. All of my lights are less than 4 years old. 5 sets (3 of icicles, 2 straight) have issues. On three set only half the lights work. The others 2 are just toast. Why are these things made so cheaply? When I was a kid it seemed like we had the same light sets for decades. I have already checked all the lights and the fuses I don't know why they aren't working. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Clark Griswold asks for HELP with Christmas Lights!

I thought they were "Holiday Lights."

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck
    Why are these things made so cheaply?
    So people like you and me will be forced to buy them every other year.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    So people like you and me will be forced to buy them every other year.
    Also so you could just toss em in the landfill like so many others do.

You take 'em down?
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Why are these things made so cheaply? When I was a kid it seemed like we had the same light sets for decades.
    We live in a disposable society where things are no longer designed to last or have any enduring factor. That way you are constantly in a state of buying. Some call it consumerism.

I have already checked all the lights and the fuses I don't know why they aren't working. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I quit putting them up years ago. But when we did - my wife would always throw them out after the Holidays - because you know something is gonna happen to them in the course of that year where they arent gonna work the next time - and then go down to the stores in January and buy new ones when they were giving them away for .50/box.

We love to drive around and look at the lights, and the various ways that people decorate their houses. We even have a contest here. And people are very inventive.

I'm just glad it's their houses, and not mine.

IMO - Christmas lights are alot like Christmas cards. A huge waste of time and money. If you really want me to have a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays - send me cash!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Victory is mine! I managed to fix 3 of the sets. Pulled all questionable bulbs, and found a couple loose bulbs. Saved myself about $12 in lights. Small victories.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Saved myself about $12 in lights. Small victories.
    How many man hours did it take you to find the problem that saved you $12?

Now ask yourself if it was worth it.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    How many man hours did it take you to find the problem that saved you $12?

Now ask yourself if it was worth it.
    He saved the pain of filling up the earth with plastic... good man Logan.

You should be proud, Logan. I remember long hours trying to find the one bad bulb that kept the whole string from working.

Some people here are decorating their FEMA trailers with Christmas lights. I think the local newspaper or TV station should have a contest for the best decorated FEMA trailer.

Almost 2 hours, but I was more satisfied fixing the lights than I would have been to drive 20 miles to Lowes each way. ($5 gas+time spent)

Sandy that is so sad on so many levels. I made sure that my son (3.5 years old) picked out a toy to buy for a child that was affected by the Hurricanes. He and my infant son, are the only grandkids on either side of my family, so they get inundated with gifts. I was afraid he was missing the good side of Christmas. He was so excited to get a RC Car for a "boy that doesn't have any toys, because the Wurricane took his."

Remember to kick in a few extra bucks this year for charity everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    He saved the pain of filling up the earth with plastic... good man Logan.
    He only delayed the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    He only delayed the inevitable.
    Pretty much!

I enjoyed putting lights up when the kids were younger (and so was I). I did it more for them then anything else.

And we love going out and seeing various Christmas light displays. I guess it's all part of the Holiday spirit/tradition.

There is a housing development south of Springfield where all the houses go all-out in decorating. People from all over go there during the season just to see the various displays. Also, the Clifton Mill, down by John Bryant Park, does a very nice display.

Turn Off Ads?