Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are there any guitar players lurking about?

For a Level Playing Field

Re: Are there any guitar players lurking about?

Quote Originally Posted by ghettochild
    dunlop 1mm picks, ernie ball super slinkies for bass strings...which is why i went with boiling because bass strings are like 20 bucks each.
    Ah... that makes sense with the expensive bass strings! Of course they don't break like guitar strings, but a rusty string sounds like crap regardless of the instrument. I must admit that I thought I knew almost everything about little "guitar nuances" ghetto, but the boiling thing is new to me. I need to try it. And I will be sure to tell the friend who currently plays bass with me.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Good stuff guys.

Being a bass player, I have never actually broken a string - but I've played around enough that I do know what I'm doing when I change them - every few months.

I personally have a softspot for Fender Flat wound strings, they just feel fantastic. However, they really don't return a sharp sound, almost shall I say kathudy type of beat that isn't real impressive or distinctive.

I play the air guitar, I'm pretty darn good too.

But seriously, I'm a huge fan of accoustic guitar playing. The more I listen to Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds recordings (together and Tim solo), the more I want to learn how to play. My plan was to learn this past summer but I ran out of time. So now the new plan is to buy something cheap and learn accoustic either next quarter, but probably summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21

But seriously, I'm a huge fan of accoustic guitar playing. The more I listen to Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds recordings (together and Tim solo), the more I want to learn how to play. My plan was to learn this past summer but I ran out of time. So now the new plan is to buy something cheap and learn accoustic either next quarter, but probably summer.
    That's my plan for this winter.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21

Did you happen to catch Matthews on PBS the other night. Great stuff.

You want to hear some impressive Guitar work Check out Pat Metheney.

Caseyfan and paintmered,

Are you guys planning on taking lessons, or learning from a book/video?

IMO, it all depends on your personality type, but for me, taking lessons when I just started out was very frustrating. I made better progress learning the basics from a book first. I found one that taught finger patterns for chords and practiced for 20-30 minutes a day. Also, I picked two or three songs simple songs I liked and learned them, because "Yankee Doodle" got a little old.

After I got comfortable with chords, I took lessons and they went great.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75
    Did you happen to catch Matthews on PBS the other night. Great stuff.

You want to hear some impressive Guitar work Check out Pat Metheney.
    I catch everything Dave Matthews and Dave Matthews Band Some might call me obsessed but it certainly provides stiff competition to my love of baseball. I'm actually going to the show tomorrow night in Detroit, it will be my 7th Dave Matthews Band concert of the calendar year.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Caseyfan and paintmered,

IMO, it all depends on your personality type, but for me, taking lessons when I just started out was very frustrating. I made better progress learning the basics from a book first. I found one that taught finger patterns for chords and practiced for 20-30 minutes a day. Also, I picked two or three songs simple songs I liked and learned them, because "Yankee Doodle" got a little old.

I was planning on just teaching myself chords at first, then maybe take lessons if I find I really enjoy it. I have a long history with music (almost all of my twenty years on this planet). I've played trombone for 9 years, my dad is a band director, and my mom and sister also play instruments. I know quite a bit about music and chords. It's obviously different from a guitar, but my best friend, and both of my girlfriend's brothers have all played for several years. They all have tried to get me to start multiple times offering to teach me and whatnot. The thing I do want to do is get a book and learn the basics behind it, not like most guys I know that just go online and get their favorite songs. My roommate last year could play just about any current song and any DMB song, but he couldn't tell you the first thing about notes or theory. He couldn't even read music. I want to avoid that.

I have a 1961 Supro Belmont, a 1970 Hondo "Strat", and a 2004 Epiphone SG, im in a band, but we dont play anywhere yet
    Let's make some noise!

Caseyfan and paintmered,

I'm planning on learning from a book. I have a fairly solid musical background so the technique will be the biggest hurdle for me and not the theory.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

The thing I do want to do is get a book and learn the basics behind it, not like most guys I know that just go online and get their favorite songs. My roommate last year could play just about any current song and any DMB song, but he couldn't tell you the first thing about notes or theory. He couldn't even read music. I want to avoid that.
    It's the opposite for me. I started off trying to learn theory, but it got very frustrating -- I wanted to play cool songs. A few years later, I learned how all those songs fit into music theory. It makes more sense now.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

It's the opposite for me. I started off trying to learn theory, but it got very frustrating -- I wanted to play cool songs. A few years later, I learned how all those songs fit into music theory. It makes more sense now.
    I've always been the exact same.

Funny thing is, my fiance is a guitar player, and is the opposite of me.

I can listen to any thing, and usually pick it up quickly. But I'm a total and complete novice when it comes to theory. I went the same route you did, I wanted to play cool songs so I skipped the middle man.

Playing catchup now, years later, is not so fun. I can do a sizable library of entire songs and read tab but I can barely read the Bass Clef - at least slowly anyway.

WAGS

same as above posters.

i started out playing basic stuff, blink 182, green day, etc. i can read tabs no problem, its actually quiet simple lol, but sheet music? i don't think so...lol.

i understand some theory and how it all goes into place and how it flows and everything but other then that nahh.

i can usually listen to a song, and pick up the bass riff within the first couple bars, and have it down by the end of the song.

Turn Off Ads?