Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: once a Cowboy, always a Cowboy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

once a Cowboy, always a Cowboy

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...g-charge_x.htm

DALLAS (AP) — Former Dallas Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin was charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia after Plano police officers searched his vehicle during a traffic stop.

Irvin, an ESPN analyst and semifinalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, told The Associated Press late Sunday that the drug pipe found in his car belonged to a friend of 17 years who left a Houston rehab center and came to Irvin's house in Carrollton for Thanksgiving. Irvin wouldn't reveal his friend's name.

Irvin said he put the pipe in his car because he didn't want it in his house where his children might find it. He said he planned to drive somewhere the next day, like a grocery trash bin, and throw the pipe away but forgot.

"It's a situation that is not as it seemed," said Irvin, whose voice was choked with emotion during the telephone conversation.

"I know the type of demons they have to fight and I am going to help them, because it's the only way I can keep them from getting to my family. I have to clean up my friends because they are around my boys. It's upsetting."

Irvin was arrested on an outstanding warrant for speeding in Irving after being pulled over Friday afternoon for speeding in Plano. Irvin said he thought he had paid the outstanding ticket.

Irvin paid a fine on the speeding ticket and posted bond on the drug paraphernalia possession charge. He was released about an hour after he was pulled over.

Irvin was a member of three Super Bowl championship teams with the Cowboys. Asked how this kind of publicity might affect his chances of induction into the Hall of Fame, Irvin said his helping his friends are more important.

"The whole thing means such a great deal for me, and hopefully one day it will be there," Irvin said. "But my friends and my family mean a little more. I would rather be helping them, even if it hurts that."

In 1996, Irvin pleaded no contest to felony cocaine possession in exchange for four years of deferred probation, a $10,000 fine and dismissal of misdemeanor marijuana possession charges. Irvin said Sunday he's always been transparent and open about his issues in the past, and now wants to help others through those same problems.

Irvin holds Cowboys records for catches (750), receiving yards (11,904) and 100-yard games (47), including a team-record seven in a row in 1991.

ESPN said it has spoken to Irvin, who will still appear on the network Monday as an analyst.

"We've talked to Michael, who explained the situation to us the way he did to the AP, and we will continue to talk with Michael," ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said. "But you can expect to see him on Monday Night Countdown on Monday evening."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Re: once a Cowboy, always a Cowboy

Well, that explains some of his "analysis."
    Makes all the routine posts.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    I swear on one of the pre-game shows a few weeks ago he looked stoned, his eyes were glazed over and he was slightly slurring his words. :thumbdown

And most of his wardrobe choices.

"I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

For a Level Playing Field

"It's a situation that is not as it seemed," said Irvin, whose voice was choked with emotion during the telephone conversation.
    Uh, umm... okay. Reminds me of "The Shawshank Redemption" when someone says, "Don't you realize that everyone in this prison is innocent?"

So what if Irvin has prior convictions relative to drugs? Hey... it is not as it seems. Spoken like a true drug-addict in denial who thinks everyone else in the world is dumber than him (and that is pretty stupid).

I am shocked that a man who is "college educated" would make such stupid decisions. I would have thought those high-level academic classes that he surely took while at the Univ. of Miami would have made him smarter. Imagine that...

So Rush gets let go from his football analyst gig. Will Michael get released from his? Two different circumstances, but both deserve the same end... YOU ARE FIRED. Do not be shocked if the ending is not the same. But try to remember the words of the honest & upstanding citizen Michael Irvin, "It is not as it seemed". What a great person...

I'm no fan of Irvin and am pretty skeptical of his story, but the whole story isn't out yet and it seems like we should wait until it is before we convict the guy. If the person who's pipe it supposedly was surfaces and admits to it, then I'll believe him.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

But when two cheerleaders are accused of a crime, they get fired immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    But when two cheerleaders are accused of a crime, they get fired immediately.
    Life ain't fair, is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Not usually. But that was the first time I noticed chesty womenfolk getting the short end.

Oh oh oh!!......but he's from "The U." Nothing like that ever happened/happens at "The U."

"Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I'll bet that Irvin was taken aback yesterday when one of his homeboys (Dan Patrick) put him on the spot and asked him to submit to a drug test. For those of you scoring at home, Michael claimed that he would have to "consult his attorney first"

Uhm...Never mind, Mike. I think we're pretty good on this end.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    I'll bet that Irvin was taken aback yesterday when one of his homeboys (Dan Patrick) put him on the spot and asked him to submit to a drug test. For those of you scoring at home, Michael claimed that he would have to "consult his attorney first"

Uhm...Never mind, Mike. I think we're pretty good on this end.
    Imagine that! I am sure it has to do with Michael's secret love for Sammy Sosa. They are both "non-users" who just need to make sure they are not being setup... of course. Drugs? Those two? Cannot see it...

SWAMPLAND FOR SALE! COME AND GET IT!

Why would Dan Patrick make that statement? I used to like him, but it seems like everytime I see SportsCenter he is being extremely rude to whoever he is interviewing by raising his voice and getting personal if he doesn't get the answer he wants.

I understand wanting to ask the "tough questions." But it just seems to me that Patrick goes over the line an awful lot and that he thinks people are watching him, not the person he's interviewing.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

In my opinion, it's all about the ratings. I believe his show even teased the appearance as "the exclusive first interview with Michael Irvin since his arrest."

The pipe wasn't his. It belonged to Miguel Tejada.

Turn Off Ads?