Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: once a Cowboy, always a Cowboy

Re: once a Cowboy, always a Cowboy

There's a pretty simple solution; turn in the guy whose pipe it was. If he won't do that, I have a hard time believing him.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    There's a pretty simple solution; turn in the guy whose pipe it was. If he won't do that, I have a hard time believing him.
    Come on, if this was a friend of yours would you turn him in? Cause if you answer yes then I'd lose a lot of respect for you.

He needs to pee in a cup - and if I was his attorney you can bet your butt that I would have told him "If Dan Patrick asks you whether you are going to pee in a cup or not, you throw it back on me, cause you don't want to commit to something that might become unnecessary."

And I wonder - if this turns out to be true (and I have no dog in this show - I am a Giant fan so Irvin was no friend of mine, although I like him on ESPN) then will all of you who have convicted him already be just as quick to admit how wrong you were??
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I can't really say that I have "convicted" Irvin of anything at this point. He is guilty, however, of being terribly ill-prepared for a nationally syndicated radio interview put together by his employer for the sole purpose of rehabilitating his shaky image.

For what it's worth, I don't give up the friend's name. But I sure as hell make it clear that he better be prepared to give himself up--instead of forcing me to commit career suicide.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Why didn't he throw the pipe away? That would have made more sense than putting it in his car.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    For what it's worth, I don't give up the friend's name. But I sure as hell make it clear that he better be prepared to give himself up--instead of forcing me to commit career suicide.
    Oh, this I agree with - the friend should step up on his own.

But if I'm Irvin I wouldn't release his name cause thats not what friends do.
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

I think Patrick asking him to submit to a drug test is great. That's the question that he should be asked, and if he refuses to do so, he can blame it on his lawyer or whatever he wants to do, but, IMO, a refusal to clear his name in the only conclusive way available means he's still using drugs.

No other reason to avoid the only truly conclusive way to prove you aren't still using drugs (IMO).

I think he's still on dope. I heard his little diddy with Stewart Scott and he sounded like a liar to me.

Why hesitate to take a drug test when you know everyone either secretly or publicly suspects you are drugged up unless you know the results will be bad?
    Last edited by WMR; 11-29-2005 at 05:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Why didn't he throw the pipe away? That would have made more sense than putting it in his car.
    As the guy who sits beside me at work asked today, "was he afraid his kids would go through the garbage?"

Some day, some celebrity will be arrested, admit guilt, and the world will collapse in on itself and disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    I think Patrick asking him to submit to a drug test is great. That's the question that he should be asked, and if he refuses to do so, he can blame it on his lawyer or whatever he wants to do, but it means he's still using drugs.

No other reason to avoid the only truly conclusive way to prove you aren't still using drugs.
    Dude, you're in Law School - you think him not committing to a drug test on National TV "means he's still using drugs"

Come on, use those skills they are teaching you in class. There are many reasons why you don't commit to such a thing on a national radio show. Privacy issues, employment issues, etc. Never commit to anything until you HAVE to.
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

His story was that he didn't throw it away at his house because he's had people go through his garbage before and didn't want someone to find it.

He was going to throw it away later in the day at a grocery store dumpster, but after eating turkey he took a nap and forgot about it.

For the record, I happen to believe most of Irvin's story. I think he is clean, and is protecting a friend. I think the pipe was his friends. I have a hard time believing that he "forgot about it" after eating turkey and taking a nap, however.

If I knew I had a crack pipe in my car and I didn't want to throw it away in my trash, you can bet I'd be thinking of how to get rid of it non stop until it was actually thrown away and disposed of.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

He "didn't want it around his kids."

As if he doesn't have a plethora of spots in what I am sure is a mansion where he puts stuff he wants kept "out of his kids reach."

The only type of person I can imagine driving around with a crack-pipe in their car is a, well, um, crackhead.

He said he patted his friend down as he came into his house for Thanksgiving and found it while searching his person. puh-leeeease. Not to mention it has come out now that he gave a statement to police officers contradictory to what he has said publicly.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Dude, you're in Law School - you think him not committing to a drug test on National TV "means he's still using drugs"

Come on, use those skills they are teaching you in class. There are many reasons why you don't commit to such a thing on a national radio show. Privacy issues, employment issues, etc. Never commit to anything until you HAVE to.
    If he is clean, why hesitate?

I know that if I got caught with a crack pipe that belonged to a friend and had been convicted of numerous drug offenses, I'd be doing more than just SAYING "I'll do whatever it takes to clear my name."

If he was going to say such a thing--which he did--he shouldn't hesitate for a second to jump at the chance to take a drug test.

It's the same reason spouses often jump at the chance to take a lie-detector test when their husband/wife has been murdered. They aren't forced to by law, but if you know you are innocent, why hesitate to do it?

I actually want to believe him. He's more entertaining than most commentators, and I'd like to see him stick around. But at this point, I'm so jaded about this sort of thing that I don't think I'd even believe a protest of innocence out of Sean Casey if he were arrested.

I'm just tired of it all.

What I heard.

He patted his friend down as he came into his house for Thanksgiving dinner (as WMRocks said). He didn't want a confrontation in his house so he took his buddy out to his car to discuss the issue. He put the pipe in his car at that time because he didn't want it in the house with his kids there, and didn't want to throw it in the trash because people (neighbors, strangers) have gone through his trash before. He went back inside and they ate dinner. He layed on the couch and fell asleep after dinner. The guests left. He went to bed. They got up the next morning and he and his wife went furniture shopping. They were pulled over for speeding and he had an outstanding warrant. The police officer told him he had to book him for the outstanding warrant and that he could pay the fines and leave. He consented to the officer searching the car (dumb) and forgot the pipe was still in his car. The officer told him it wasn't a big deal, just a possession charge and that he could pay that fine along with the warrant fine and be released. Another one of his friends paid his way out and he was released.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

To be honest Pedro, his story was waaaay too elaborate for me to repeat accurately. But, heck--I'll give it a stab on the condensed version:

You see, this "friend" of his was placed in rehab the weekend before last. Michael gets a phone call on set of NFL Countdown that informs him that said "friend" has decided that rehab sucks and has flown the coop. :thumbdown "Friend" shows up on Michael's doorstep on Thanksgiving Day and is welcomed with open arms.... only after Michael's arms are used to pat him down. Whadayaknow? "Friend" is holding crack pipe--but no crack. Michael says to him, "Friend, I understand your demons but you cannot bring that thing into my house on Thanksgiving." Because Michael is a public figure in Dallas, he fears that people are constantly searching through his trash. Thus, instead of throwing the pipe in the trash...he puts it in his glove box. Next day, Michael decides it would be a good day to surpass the posted speed limit in Plano, Texas and is pulled over. Zoinks! Michael has a bench warrant out on him for unpaid tickets. :fineprint Do not pass go...do not collect $ 200.00. But first, officer asks if he has Michael's consent to search vehicle. "Sure officer, what could possibly go wron...." Pipe is found and now it ain't about speeding or unpaid parking tickets no mo.

Whew....my head hurts.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    you think him not committing to a drug test on National TV "means he's still using drugs"
    Sorry about that, JMO, I edited my post accordingly.

Turn Off Ads?