Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: once a Cowboy, always a Cowboy

Re: once a Cowboy, always a Cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Marijuana pipe changes things. Who cares about a little pot. Not me! Make it legal already.
    I concur with your opinion if it indeed was a marijuana pipe.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Fair enough - but that is a little different than your first post which stated the only way you'll believe him is if he gives the name of his friend.

I am still of the opinion that he is going to need a drug test to prove his story. And yes, if it came down to jail or turning over a friend, well there is no easy, or correct, answer there. But thats a long way away.
    That's what it sounded like by what I wrote, but I didn't mean it so literally. One way or another, if he wants to "clear his name", he's going to have to provide some kind of proof. But honestly, it really makes no difference at all if I, or anyone else, believe him.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Hey, thanks a lot for that advice.

I guess like a few other people have said, we hear this same refrain over and over, and I definitely probably jumped the gun a little bit.

(maybe also b/c, as you so aptly described it, law school is so much about refusing to take a side, it's a little fun to get on here and play the merciless prosecutor sometimes)

Hey man, I had that problem with Labor Law. I keep reading these cases and thinking there is no way the Employer loses this case, they did nothing wrong, and bang, the ALJ completely does the opposite of what I thought, and I'd go to class furious. And then the professor would explain it (and he was a bit of a jerk, but funny as all heck - he actually walked out of the last day of class cause nobody raised their hand to discuss a case. Didn't discuss the final, nothing, just said, if you guys don't want to volunteer you're on your own and responsible for the material), but anyway, I would be flabbergasted at the cases cause I couldn't believe the decisions.

Anyway, sometimes you gotta divorce yourself from your presuppositions and just look at what you can prove and what you can't, and go from there - even if its against everything you feel.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

According to the smoking gun website, Irvin told cops the pipe belonged to his brother and then told the AP that it belonged to a friend of 17 years.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1128052irvin1.html

NOVEMBER 28--Michael Irvin fingered his brother when Texas cops discovered a drug pipe during a traffic stop Friday afternoon in Plano. According to a Municipal Court citation obtained by TSG, cops found the "multi-colored pipe w/ marijuana residue" inside a Versace sunglass case that was tucked under the driver's seat of a 2005 Mercedes Benz coupe driven by the former Dallas Cowboys star. Cops noted that the sunglass case also contained a silver lighter and "plastic baggies w/ marijuana residue" and quoted Irvin, who was charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia, as saying, "It's my brother's. He left it in there." Irvin, who now works as an ESPN analyst, yesterday told the Associated Press that the pipe belonged to a friend of 17 years who had just left a Texas drug rehab facility. Irvin, who would not identify this supposed friend, said that he had confiscated the pipe from the crony, with whom he was celebrating Thanksgiving. Irvin, a semifinalist this year for the NFL Hall of Fame, claimed that he simply forgot to discard the pipe. Irvin, pictured below in a Plano Police Department mug shot, was traveling with his wife Sandy when pulled over for speeding. Since the court citation, a copy of which you'll find on succeeding pages, had not yet surfaced, Irvin was not called on by the AP to explain why the pipe was hidden inside the Versace stash case (along with the lighter and those pot-infused baggies) and safely tucked under his seat. Irvin's rap sheet includes a 1996 no contest plea to felony cocaine possession and an August 2000 marijuana bust, though that pot charge was later dropped. We tried to reach Irvin via his cell phone (sorry, we had to redact the number from the citation), but all we got was a recording announcing that his mailbox was full and was not accepting new messages.

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    According to the smoking gun website, Irvin told cops the pipe belonged to his brother and then told the AP that it belonged to a friend of 17 years.
    Boy, oh boy... Michael's version(s) keeps getting fuzzier by the moment. Perhaps this is a side-effect suffered by crack smokers? Maybe he meant that his crack-smoking friend is like a brother to him. I am sure that is what he meant. Let's ask his lawyer...

To his defenders.... SWAMPLAND FOR SALE!! COME AND GET IT!!

He said on ESPN radio that if ESPN requested he take a drug test that he would.

Step up to the plate ESPN.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Not to bring race into this, but when a black man says brother, how many times does it mean a biological relation?

Let the fallout begin...

ESPN suspends Irvin for one week
    / Associated Press
    Posted: 12 minutes ago

DALLAS (AP) - Michael Irvin says he has been suspended by ESPN for one week for not telling the network about his arrest last week, when police found a drug pipe hidden in his car during a traffic stop.

Irvin, who has maintained that the pipe belonged to a friend, told The Associated Press on Thursday that he won't return to the air until Dec. 11. He was arrested Friday in Plano, Texas, for an outstanding warrant on an unpaid speeding ticket but was charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia after police searched his car.
    ESPN did not learn of Irvin's arrest until reporters began calling the network Sunday night. Irvin said he didn't tell the network about his arrest because he was scared.

"I was just scared, hoping and praying that maybe it would go away," Irvin said. "I was told that I paid the fine and it was over. I was hoping it was over."

ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said the network doesn't comment on specific personnel records. On Monday, the network had said it expected Irvin to appear on the air Sunday for NFL Countdown.

Irvin, a former wide receiver with the Dallas Cowboys and semifinalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, said he had no problem with the suspension.

"Being an employee and not giving them the information, certainly it's fair," Irvin said.

Plastic baggies with marijuana residue were found in a sunglasses case along with the pipe in Irvin's car. Irvin said he put the items there after finding them on a friend who arrived at his house in Carrollton, Texas, on Thanksgiving. Irvin said he planned to throw the items away but forgot.

Irvin had said his friend, whom he's known for 17 years, had checked himself out of a Houston rehab center earlier in the week.

Irvin was driving with his wife in the car Friday afternoon when he was pulled over for going 78 mph in a 60 mph zone. Irvin was released after paying a $335 fine for the arrest warrant and a $256 bond. The paraphernalia charge is a Class C misdemeanor, punishable by up to a $500 fine.

Irvin said Thursday he's been in "shutdown mode" since the story broke, not checking phone messages or watching television. He said the arrest won't deter him from continuing to help his friends but said he would now handle a similar situation differently - namely, by not touching anything.

"I need to take a better approach toward things," Irvin said.

In 1996, Irvin pleaded no contest to felony cocaine possession in exchange for four years of deferred probation, a $10,000 fine and dismissal of misdemeanor marijuana possession charges. He also was arrested on drug possession charges in 2000, but they were later dropped.

Irvin won three Super Bowls in four years with the Dallas Cowboys as part of an offense that also featured Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith. A vocal, emotional leader, he set every significant career receiving mark in team history before retiring because of an injury suffered in 1999.

Frolicking lesbian cheerleaders? Fired.

Drug paraphernalia-toting, priors-having, TV personality and former athlete with an outstanding warrant? Week's vacation.

Just sayin'.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland

Drug paraphernalia-toting, priors-having, TV personality and former athlete with an outstanding warrant? Week's vacation.

Just sayin'.
    It's not right, is it?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland

I'll go ahead and put it out there, I'm willing to hire the two fired cheerleaders to perform in my living room during the Bengals game this weekend.

I'm sure they'll mull that offer over, along with the $600,000 Penthouse offered.

Makes all the routine posts.

For 600 G's I'd expect a lot more than pictures.

Turn Off Ads?