Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skynyrd, Sabbath, Blondie among those to be inducted into Rock and Roll HOF

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Skynyrd, Sabbath, Blondie among those to be inducted into Rock and Roll HOF

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051128/...usic_rock_hall

NEW YORK - Black Sabbath, Miles Davis and the Sex Pistols are among five musical legends to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation will hold its induction ceremony March 13 at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in Manhattan, the organization announced Monday.

Also to be inducted into the class of 2006: 1980s New Wave band Blondie and Southern rockers Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss, who founded A&M records in 1962, will receive a lifetime achievement award in the non-performer category.

Inductees into the side-men category will be announced at a later date.

Musicians, industry professionals and journalists vote on the nominations. Artists are eligible to be inducted into the Rock Hall after at least 25 years have passed since their first record was released.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: Skynyrd, Sabbath, Blondie among those to be inducted into Rock and Roll HOF

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051128/...usic_rock_hall
    Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss, who founded A&M records in 1962, will receive a lifetime achievement award in the non-performer category.
    But surely Alpert deserves some honorable mention for his Tijuana Brass recordings.

Miles is a personal favorite, but "rock-and-roll"?
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    Miles is a personal favorite, but "rock-and-roll"?
    He branched out a bit during his later years, but I never really thought of him as a rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    He branched out a bit during his later years...
    Good point. I hadn't thought about his role in the emergence of Fusion, but that's because I hate it. I gave *****es Brew away soon after buying it.

Blondie?

"Rapture" alone should exclude Blondie from any Hall of Fame consideration.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Blondie?

Amen.

Wait, can I say that here?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Blondie?

Ahhh.... but Parallel Lines in the late 70's automatically gets them in.... that time needed something other than, wank rock, dinosaur rock and disco.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Black Sabbath, Miles Davis and the Sex Pistols are among five musical legends to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
    I believe that is the first time in rock history those 3 bands/artists have been mentioned in the same sentence.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    I believe that is the first time in rock history those 3 bands/artists have been mentioned in the same sentence.
    Unless you were drinking with Pedro and me.:

I'm more than a wee bit surprised most of those bands weren't already in the R'N'R HOF. We're talking about the original heavy metal band, the prototype for Brit punk, the godfathers (and godmother) of New Wave and the undisputed kings of southern rock.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

They were too busy fast-tracking Jackson Browne, Ritchie Valens, The Bee Gees, Rod Stewart, ZZ Top, Bob Segar, the Kinks, and a few other Bill Mazeroski-esque choices.

I'll brook no barbs cast the way of the Kinks, I say. I'll brook it not.

But I agree with the so-what factor in the rest of that list.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

The Kinks are the Tris Speaker of Rock n' Roll

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

If Blondie gets in, The Knack should too. Same era, better band.

It's getting to the point now where any band who played before 1985 and whose music has been issued as a box-set is getting in. With that as the standard, it can't be too much longer until we see Hall and Oates, ELO, Yes, Van Halen, Devo, and Genesis in the Hall.

Turn Off Ads?