Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53

Thread: Chad Johnson is good for marital harmony

  1. #1
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    east of WOY
    Posts
    5,045

    Chad Johnson is good for marital harmony

    My wife used to leave the room or go shopping between the hours of 1:00 and 4:00 every Sunday during football season. She also used to get a little miffed that I was always wanting to come home right after church to watch the game. She would say that since I don't see every Reds game, it wouldn't hurt to miss a Bengals game or two. My argument was always that they only play once a week and there are only 16 games in the season, so it's not the same as missing a couple baseball games out of a long season. A few weeks ago she happened to walk into the room when Chad was doing one of his end zone dances and she had a really good laugh about it. Now she stays in the living room with me when I'm watching the game because she wants to see what Chad is going to do if he scores. It amuses her and she thinks that he looks like he is having a lot of fun on the field. I won't say she's becoming a fan, but having her at least passively watch the games with me is something of a start.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Joe Oliver love-child Blimpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    4,896

    Re: Chad Johnson is good for marital harmony

    This may be somewhat verboten to mention around these parts...but I, for one, am getting a little tired of Chad's endzone antics. He is so exciting to watch play football, I would just hate to see him evolve into a caricature of himself (and no, I did NOT mention Ickey Woods).

    ORH: I am all for doing whatever it takes to ensure marital bliss, but I just wish Chad would gear it down a few notches. Act like you've been there before.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

  4. #3
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Chad Johnson is good for marital harmony

    The game has changed so much. I think the real reason guys didn't celebrate like that 40 years ago was because they were guys like Sam Huff, Chuck Bednarik and Dick Butkus patrolling the middle of the field. Clotheslining was legal back then.
    Last edited by flyer85; 11-28-2005 at 01:53 PM.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  5. #4
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,138

    Re: Chad Johnson is good for marital harmony

    I appreciate the guys that just hand the ball over to the official as much as I appreciate the guys that are having some good clean fun.

    I detest the guys that are dancing after knocking down a pass after they have given up 2 TDs and have their team down 14-0 in the 1st quarter.

    GL

  6. #5
    Joe Oliver love-child Blimpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    4,896

    Re: Chad Johnson is good for marital harmony

    Granted, sometimes I frighten even myself with curmudgeon-like tendencies. I cannot explain it, but it just seems all too cartoonish for me to stomach.

    Maybe it's because it all harkens back to the T.O. Sharpie thing. What I thought initially as a goofball T.O. stunt has evolved into a egotistical competition amongst Chad Johnson, Randy Moss, Steve Smith, Joe Horn...blah blah blah. One thing for a WR/RB to do something for the benefit of the fans in attendance. Quite another to have a celebration "broken down" for technique by Stuart Scott.

    Am I that far gone? I am only closing in on 38--not 58. But it seems like it was more like football only 5-6 years ago when Barry Sanders was scoring three TD's per game and handing the ball to the referee.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

  7. #6
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,567

    Re: Chad Johnson is good for marital harmony

    I sent the url for this thread to Chad, he should get a kick out of it.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    7,639

    Re: Chad Johnson is good for marital harmony

    Chad Johnson is good for the game of football. He is an outstanding talent and his endzone celebrations are in good, clean-natured fun. The celebrations alone have some people watching the games that normally wouldn't (ORH's wife). Chad Johnson does nothing but promote the game of football and the Cincinnati Bengals.

    There are actually some Browns fans in my town that swear up one side and down the other that they would not want Chad Johnson anywhere near thier team because of his endzone celebrations. They say he is a cancer who only cares about himself and even with his stats, they would not take him as a member of the Cleveland Browns. My reponse to them is always well it's no wonder your team is consistantly at the bottom of the league with such foolish thinking as that.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

  9. #8
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,161

    Re: Chad Johnson is good for marital harmony

    To go along with ORH's wife, my 2 daughters both wanted #85 Bengal jerseys because of Chad. And they aren't football fans at all. They just like Chad Johnson anbd what they've seen on TV.

    I bought them the cheap $20 versions from Biggs and not the $150 authentic game jerseys.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  10. #9
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,795

    Re: Chad Johnson is good for marital harmony

    #85 Bengal jerseys
    Isaac Curtis Jerseys

  11. #10
    Member ochre's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    4,266

    Re: Chad Johnson is good for marital harmony

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Isaac Curtis Jerseys
    Tim McGee.
    4009



  12. #11
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,642

    Re: Chad Johnson is good for marital harmony

    The "Putting" celebration this week was brilliant.

    I genuinely enjoy seeing what Chad Johnson has cooked up every week. He's made the Bengals "must see" television for me whenever they're on...

    ...and I'm saying this as a lifelong Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  13. #12
    Joe Oliver love-child Blimpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    4,896

    Re: Chad Johnson is good for marital harmony

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Chad Johnson is good for the game of football. He is an outstanding talent and his endzone celebrations are in good, clean-natured fun. The celebrations alone have some people watching the games that normally wouldn't (ORH's wife). Chad Johnson does nothing but promote the game of football and the Cincinnati Bengals.

    There are actually some Browns fans in my town that swear up one side and down the other that they would not want Chad Johnson anywhere near thier team because of his endzone celebrations. They say he is a cancer who only cares about himself and even with his stats, they would not take him as a member of the Cleveland Browns. My reponse to them is always well it's no wonder your team is consistantly at the bottom of the league with such foolish thinking as that.
    Chad Johnson is 100% in the business of promoting Chad Johnson. He would be the first one to admit that to you.

    Let me qualify this more specifically: I agree that Chad's personality is much more palatable and fan friendly than Terrell Owens. They both practice hard, want to win and leave it all on the field. That said, they are most definitely cut from the same cloth. No, I do not say this simply because they have the same agent either. It is because they both crave the same thing: individual attention.

    Now, one could argue the differences between their individual creativity and how that manifests itself in terms of their respective endzone celebrations. I couldn't care less about that. My whole problem is that during some game...somewhere...but, even if for the briefest of moments...these guys are inevitably having difficulties focusing on the task at hand. You think this hasn't crossed the mind of Marvin Lewis?

    This team has the distinct chance to make some noise in the playoffs this year. If anything, they would be better suited to fly under the radar against teams. That's far better than baiting DBs into playing career games against you. This team doesn't need the hype. They just want the W's. If you don't think so, then go ask Willie Anderson. How many bad Bengal teams has he had to endure over the years? He isn't gonna let anyone or anything upset this apple cart.

    Picture this: Playoff game on the road this year against deafening fan noise. I dunno, say Pittsburgh, Denver or even Kansas City. I would hate to see the play occur where Carson calls out an audible to make Chad the hot receiver. Chad misses the audible because he's preoccupied trying to remember in which endzone he has stashed his inflatable Champ Bailey doll.

    Just sayin'
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

  14. #13
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,567

    Re: Chad Johnson is good for marital harmony

    I think you've got the wrong impression of Chad Johnson there Blimpie.

    Chad loves football. He loves playing the game. He plays to win, but he also plays to have fun. He genuinely wishes there were more guys who played for the love of the game rather than the paycheck. Chad's number one priority is to get the Bengals into the Superbowl right now, not next year or the year after.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    7,639

    Re: Chad Johnson is good for marital harmony

    Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Chad Johnson is 100% in the business of promoting Chad Johnson. He would be the first one to admit that to you.

    Let me qualify this more specifically: I agree that Chad's personality is much more palatable and fan friendly than Terrell Owens. They both practice hard, want to win and leave it all on the field. That said, they are most definitely cut from the same cloth. No, I do not say this simply because they have the same agent either. It is because they both crave the same thing: individual attention.

    Now, one could argue the differences between their individual creativity and how that manifests itself in terms of their respective endzone celebrations. I couldn't care less about that. My whole problem is that during some game...somewhere...but, even if for the briefest of moments...these guys are inevitably having difficulties focusing on the task at hand. You think this hasn't crossed the mind of Marvin Lewis?

    This team has the distinct chance to make some noise in the playoffs this year. If anything, they would be better suited to fly under the radar against teams. That's far better than baiting DBs into playing career games against you. This team doesn't need the hype. They just want the W's. If you don't think so, then go ask Willie Anderson. How many bad Bengal teams has he had to endure over the years? He isn't gonna let anyone or anything upset this apple cart.

    Picture this: Playoff game on the road this year against deafening fan noise. I dunno, say Pittsburgh, Denver or even Kansas City. I would hate to see the play occur where Carson calls out an audible to make Chad the hot receiver. Chad misses the audible because he's preoccupied trying to remember in which endzone he has stashed his inflatable Champ Bailey doll.

    Just sayin'
    Football is the ultimate team sport. But that being said, there is a certain amount of personalism involved. A mainstay spectical in the NFL is the Pro Bowl. How do you make the Pro Bowl? By putting up individual numbers. Yes, Chad is promoting himself, but nearly all NFL players do in some respect.

    However, you will not find a more team oriented guy than Chad Johnson. How many players do you know of that sleep at the stadium because they are watching film ad nauseum? How many players do you see make trips with thier quarterbacks to see the very best interact so they can be at that can learn from them? Chad wants to win badly. If he were as self promoting as you say he is, he wouldn't care what the win-loss record is just as long as he gets the ball.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

  16. #15
    Joe Oliver love-child Blimpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    4,896

    Re: Chad Johnson is good for marital harmony

    Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I think you've got the wrong impression of Chad Johnson there Blimpie.

    Chad loves football. He loves playing the game. He plays to win, but he also plays to have fun. He genuinely wishes there were more guys who played for the love of the game rather than the paycheck. Chad's number one priority is to get the Bengals into the Superbowl right now, not next year or the year after.
    I agree with EVERYTHING you just posted. But I would also add that if a Super Bowl is priority # 1, then #1A would have to be self-promotion. I am trying really, really hard to convey the point that I am not a Chad hater. I like the guy, I would just like to think that he is above all of the antics.

    Play hard. Have fun. Bring home the trophy.

    If this happens, then the world will be his oyster. He will have plenty of opportunities to get his "message" out to the faithful brethren.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25