Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Chad Johnson is good for marital harmony

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: Chad Johnson is good for marital harmony

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    NHL Hockey.
    Try to imagine Nuxhall doing a hockey game and trying to pronounce the names of the players.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    Try to imagine Nuxhall doing a hockey game and trying to pronounce the names of the players.
    No thanks... on that note I just came across something last night that stated that the Reds pursued Harry Carey back in the early 70's, he almost came to Cincinnati.

Imagine Joe and Harry in the same booth...... it would have been legendary.

I hate being called old-school just for not wanting Over celebrating.....i mean.....enough already with trying to outdo one another.......why not just hire a dance team for the games to join you. Take them on the road too.

If you want to celebrate after the game winning score...fine.....but after almost every play. KO .....ST guy tackles someone.....goes beserk....runs around and pouts his chest....points at he sky.....the stands.

I was watching a tape i have of a CINCY at PITT 1979 game.......the ONLY time there was any celebrating (just some high fives) was after a TD catch.
    It was make a play...get back to the huddle.
    Bradshaw throws to Swann for 45 yards.....he goes back to the bench and gets high fives. The whole offense does not go towards him the end zone and do their version of a musical number.

You and I went to the same "school" Tony.

I think it's classless and detracts from the game itself. I guess I'm an old fart, but there seems to be a type of arrogance that has not only pervaded the game and it's players, but also with the fans. It's almost like watching gladiator games where the victor stands over it's victim with his sword in the air waiting for the fans to give a thumbs up or down sign. Maybe that's next?

Guys like Warfield, Swann, Rice, Stallworth, Collingsworth, Newsome, and so many others were great receivers who played the game with class.

Excessive celebration is simply classless IMO. And I don't buy this reasoning that it's "entertaining".
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I'll just post this one without comment...

Johnson has special TD celebration planned
    / Associated Press
    Posted: 23 minutes ago

CINCINNATI (AP) - Chad Johnson tucked the "Terrible Towel" into the neckline of his shirt, letting it hang like a yellow bib.

"I was eating lunch and I just didn't want to get my shirt dirty," he said mischievously.
    No, the least-bashful Bengal wasn't getting ready to bash the next opponent - he's grown beyond that. But the receiver did have a little tease Wednesday for those thousands of fans who will show up Sunday waving their towels in Pittsburgh.

He's planning to entertain them with his best touchdown celebration yet.

"That is the Steel City, isn't it?" Johnson said. "The first time we played them, we all know we lost. We had some mistakes that we made early in the game. As far as I'm concerned, we have some things to iron out."

In a tone that amounted to a wink, he continued: "The key word is: iron out. Everybody remember the key word: iron."

Heading into what amounts to a showdown for the AFC North title, Johnson isn't deviating from his routine of having a little fun with the next opponent. The higher the stakes, the bigger the stage, after all.

Johnson added the "Terrible Towel" to his locker following a 42-29 victory Sunday over Baltimore, and made sure to pull it out and tuck it in when the cameras approached Wednesday.

Nothing against Pittsburgh.

"The fans actually love me on the road, which is a good thing," said Johnson, who has celebrated touchdowns with season with a Riverdance, CPR on the football, a sideline proposal to a cheerleader and an end zone putt with a pylon. "So, I'm doing something right.

"Pittsburgh, I'm coming to your town this week and I love you. I've got some things to iron out in the Steel City."

Johnson had four catches for 94 yards without a touchdown - no chance to celebrate - during the Steelers' 27-13 win at Paul Brown Stadium on Oct. 23. Still, he decided that the Steelers had failed to cover him, and checked the "no" box on his who-covered-me checklist for the season.

He praised the Steelers' players and coaches on Wednesday, and conceded that the Bengals need to beat them for their self-confidence as well as their playoff chances. They've lost to Jacksonville, Pittsburgh and Indianapolis, the three best teams on their schedule so far.

"As far as the rest of the schedule, I don't see any teams that would put us in that mold of 'We are the real deal,"' Johnson said. "Until we beat somebody who has been consistently winning like they have."

Until then, all he can do is have some fun.

"I don't like everybody to think about it being a big game," he said, grinning. "It's just another team in the way of what we're trying to accomplish, and that's getting to the playoffs.

"And, therefore, I'm going to guarantee ... that I won't be stopped this Sunday, either."

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    I appreciate the guys that just hand the ball over to the official as much as I appreciate the guys that are having some good clean fun.

I detest the guys that are dancing after knocking down a pass after they have given up 2 TDs and have their team down 14-0 in the 1st quarter.

GL
    here here!

I concur completely with what you said.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I'm not necessarily against those who just hand the ball to the referee, but who or what does Chad Johnson take away from when he does his celebration?

While I agree it can be taken to extremes, I don't really see the harm.
    Does it call attention to just Chad, probably but his teammates don't seem to mind. (TJ and Rudi seem to be just hand the ball to the official types, and they really get into it when Chad does his thing.)

Does it anger the defense? Again probably, but since the Pepto Bismol disaster last season,(which Chad appears to have learned from,) it hasn't exactly inspired anyone to stop him.

All the while, there are a number of people who otherwise wouldn't be interested in football, who will watch just to see what Chad will do next.

And apparantly I'm alone in this, but I really wasn't impressed with the putter bit last week.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    I detest the guys that are dancing after knocking down a pass after they have given up 2 TDs and have their team down 14-0 in the 1st quarter.
    Or the guy who finally makes a catch after dropping three. I guess that is justification to celebrate.... "I finally caught one!"
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?