Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chad Johnson is good for marital harmony

Re: Chad Johnson is good for marital harmony

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Football is the ultimate team sport. But that being said, there is a certain amount of personalism involved. A mainstay spectical in the NFL is the Pro Bowl. How do you make the Pro Bowl? By putting up individual numbers. Yes, Chad is promoting himself, but nearly all NFL players do in some respect.
    Exactly. It's funny that you mentioned the NFL Pro Bowl because I was just going to do the same thing. Unlike the MLB All-Star Game where the fans screw up the voting each and every year, the Pro Bowl is the only sports league that combines voting by fans, coaches and players to determine its teams. Each of those three components are given the same relative importance (1/3) in weighing the votes.

Chad Johnson will be a perennial Pro Bowler because of what he accomplishes between the sidelines. Period. If player and coaching votes combine to be worth 67% of the total, then why bother with any self promotion at all?

Players and coaches aren't going to have their votes swayed because of the Riverdance. They are gonna vote for him because he gives them nightmares after watching his game film.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Isaac Curtis Jerseys
    Isaac used to be "flamboyant" with his signature drop over the shoulder after a TD.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Maybe it's because it all harkens back to the T.O. Sharpie thing.
    Blame it all on White Shoes Johnson, not TO. Don't give credit to TO for anything
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Actually, I'd be more worried that he missed a hot call because he was flapping his jaws at the DB more than he was worried about the endzone celebration. I've got a feeling those are practiced to a tee.

I thought the sign to T.O. last week was stupid.

My favorite was the poses with Warrick snapping photos.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Blame it all on White Shoes Johnson, not TO. Don't give credit to TO for anything
    Elmo Wright of the Kansas City Chiefs is credited as the first NFL player to celebrate in the end zone.

But it was Johnson, better known as "White Shoes" during his playing days, who fashioned the end zone dance with his Funky Chicken in 1974 as a rookie with the Oilers. The league has not been the same since.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/sbxxx...ance120998.asp

Elmo Wright of the Kansas City Chiefs is credited as the first NFL player to celebrate in the end zone.
    Elmo ... #17 for the Chiefs, I remember the high knee running in place routine, I preferred that to the White Shoes knee waggling stuff.

Exactly. It's funny that you mentioned the NFL Pro Bowl because I was just going to do the same thing. Unlike the MLB All-Star Game where the fans screw up the voting each and every year, the Pro Bowl is the only sports league that combines voting by fans, coaches and players to determine its teams. Each of those three components are given the same relative importance (1/3) in weighing the votes.

Chad Johnson will be a perennial Pro Bowler because of what he accomplishes between the sidelines. Period. If player and coaching votes combine to be worth 67% of the total, then why bother with any self promotion at all?

Players and coaches aren't going to have their votes swayed because of the Riverdance. They are gonna vote for him because he gives them nightmares after watching his game film.
    My point is, what is wrong with him having fun after scoring when it does almost nothing but good for the NFL? More people watch the games to see what he is going to do next (ORH's wife). More people buy the jersey's (Roy's children).

Sure there is going to be a group of people who are old-school and won't like it no matter what anybody says. But in my opinion, it's hard to argue that Chad isn't an overall good for the NFL and the Cincinnati Bengals both on the field and off.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

To each his own, I guess. Like I have said ad nauseum...I love the guy's talent. I just think sometimes less is more. My issues are probably as much as a Sportscenter problem right now as they are a Chad problem. Now that TJ has become a force, I sincerely hope that Chad sees plenty of single coverage against Pittsburgh on Sunday.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I am a Steeler fan and like to watch CJ - he is good for the game and is terrifically talented. I would take him on my team any day of the week, specifically on Sunday.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    I am a Steeler fan and like to watch CJ - he is good for the game and is terrifically talented. I would take him on my team any day of the week, specifically on Sunday.
    As a Steeler fan, how do you feel about Sunday's game?

All due respect to you as a Steeler fan, but Pittsburgh has a very good chance of coming into that game down 1 full game.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    As a Steeler fan, how do you feel about Sunday's game?

All due respect to you as a Steeler fan, but Pittsburgh has a very good chance of coming into that game down 1 full game.
    I'm amazed at how quickly I can go from a vehement dislike of the Colts to ardent support.

But it was Johnson, better known as "White Shoes" during his playing days, who fashioned the end zone dance with his Funky Chicken in 1974 as a rookie with the Oilers. The league has not been the same since.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/sbxxx...ance120998.asp
    Say Elmo around my house and the littlest TRs get all excited

Of course, with the image of White Shoes emblazoned on my memory, there is also the worst ever, which I consider to be Warren Sapp's "dance" when he was still with Tampa Bay.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

My girlfriend loves him.

We actually talked about football on the phone yesterday because of him.

She thinks he sees the games as his fun time because of all the extra work he puts in during the week.

Chad's putting the fun in being flamboyant.

He's the Muhammed Ali of the NFL.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

To each his own, I guess. Like I have said ad nauseum...I love the guy's talent. I just think sometimes less is more. My issues are probably as much as a Sportscenter problem right now as they are a Chad problem. Now that TJ has become a force, I sincerely hope that Chad sees plenty of single coverage against Pittsburgh on Sunday.
    TJ is a force because Chad Johnson attracts so much attention.

Smartest thing he did was realize there was a good gravy train going in Cincinnati playing with a developing great QB and a WR that was going to draw doubles and shifts every snap.

It's something I hope Chad Johnson realizes (so far, it seems he does) -- a great WR is impacting the game just as much with every ball that isn't thrown to him as he is with the catches he makes.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    TJ is a force because Chad Johnson attracts so much attention.

Smartest thing he did was realize there was a good gravy train going in Cincinnati playing with a developing great QB and a WR that was going to draw doubles and shifts every snap.

It's something I hope Chad Johnson realizes (so far, it seems he does) -- a great WR is impacting the game just as much with every ball that isn't thrown to him as he is with the catches he makes.
    So true. TJ is a perfect compliment to Chad in the Cincy passing game. Throw in another vertical weapon like Henry and this Bengals offense is going to be scary good in 2-3 years. Not to mention the wonderful Rudi/Perry compliment.

The huge key is keeping the O line together. If there is a better pass blocking line in football I havent seen it yet.

Who dey.

Taking the end zone celebrations out of Chad Johnson would be like taking the bounce out of Tigger. (Sorry, a 2 year-old had me watching Winnie the Pooh every day).

The wonderful thing about CJ, and CJ's a wonderful thing!
    His top is made out of rubber, his bottom is made out of spring!...

Turn Off Ads?