Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Eagles file tampering complaint against Cowboys

Eagles file tampering complaint against Cowboys

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...e=NFLHeadlines

NEW YORK -- The Philadelphia Eagles have filed a tampering complaint against the Dallas Cowboys after Dallas owner Jerry Jones suggested on a radio show that his team is often interested in players such as suspended wide receiver Terrell Owens.

"In general, I am a risk-taker. We've gone down that road," Jones said when asked if the Cowboys might be interested in Owens. "I probably have a propensity to try and make things work. ... A top receiver could flourish with Drew Bledsoe. That's always appealing."

NFL spokesman Michael Signora confirmed Sunday the Eagles filed the complaint over Jones' remark and said "the matter is under review."

Owens was suspended for four games by the Eagles on Nov. 5 for criticizing quarterback Donovan McNabb, fighting with team "ambassador" Hugh Douglas and other actions deemed detrimental to the team. Last Tuesday, the suspension was upheld by an arbitrator.

After the suspension ends, the Eagles are expected to deactivate Owens for the rest of the season. He is expected to be traded or released for next season.

NFL bylaws prohibit "any interference by a member club with the employer-employee relationship of another club or any attempt by a club to impermissibly induce a person to seek employment with that club or with the NFL."

The Eagles' complaint was first reported by Fox.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Re: Eagles file tampering complaint against Cowboys

Do you think this would have been any other team if it would have been someone outside the NFC East?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I do think they would have, but the Cowboys made it doubly special for them.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Here are his complete comments in context...make of it what you will, but I doubt the Eagles win this case.

Jones was directly asked why so many people are speculating Owens' next stop, be it this year or next should the Eagles finally rid themselves of the wide receiver, will be in Dallas:

"I just couldn't comment on it and wouldn't comment on it because of the rules. There are some real consequences there that could affect the Cowboys. A player could come in and create enough havoc to force you to release them, and then that could make a change in dynamics on what these contracts are about with these players.

"Just think about it. You would just have one-ways deals. If it turns up the contracts is a pretty good one, everyone is happy and you play ball, and if they aren't, they create havoc for the team and (the players) are back out there, potentially, reaping the awards of being free.

"So there are a lot of things I'm avoiding, deliberately avoiding saying whether or not the Cowboys would be interested. He is a player that is a competitive player both at practice and on the practice field. He is an outstanding addition to an offense, and everybody else understands, and it's been completely aired out, to the extent I have any knowledge about the circumstances, if you will, off the field and what he and how he has affected his team."

Then co-host Craig Miller asked, "In general, and not talking about T.O. specifically, but are you more likely to gamble on a troubled player with a troubled past now than you were say five years ago?"

Jones seemed hesitant to even answer that hypothetical question, probably fearing exactly what is taking place, that his remarks would be spliced together. Jones sighed, said, "Well," almost reluctantly, sighed again, and then finally carefully answered the question.

"In general, I'm a risk taker, and we've gone down that road," Jones said. "We've had some situations here that have worked and then we had some that didn't, and it's just not necessarily the receivers or the skill players, if you will. But we've had some of them really work out.

"Alonzo Spellman had a great year with us. Alonzo certainly had some issues, but, and I want to emphasize there is no substance involved with him, but I use him as an example. All in all, I give it a plus, with what we experienced and had in what we had when we had Alonzo Spellman here.

"Yeah, I probably have a propensity to try and see, and make things work."

Jones was then asked if the Cowboys showed any interest in Owens back in the 2004 off-season when he was first traded from San Francisco to Baltimore, then to Philadelphia. The Cowboys owner basically said no, that the Cowboys were not in a position to bring in a player like that, especially at quarterback.

Jones said the Cowboys were still trying to figure out what they were going to do at quarterback, knowing Quincy Carter had not proved himself yet, still had Chad Hutchinson and had just traded for Drew Henson. His point being, trading for Owens when so much else seemed undecided didn't make sense.

"We were still looking at that," Jones said.

Then Jones began talking about current quarterback, Drew Bledsoe, saying, "We've got a quarterback in Bledsoe that arguably is as fine a long-ball thrower as there is in the league and certainly as good as any we've had here, even though (Vinny) Testaverde could throw one, too. The deep ball, our guy has the ability to really get it to the outside quick, so really a top receiver could flourish with Drew Bledsoe, and that's always appealing.

"Although I'd have to say if I thought Terry Glenn and Keyshawn Johnson were going to be playing and always be playing at this level for the next five or six years, I wouldn't even blink at any other situation."

I'm no Cowboys fan but this is stretching things as far as tampering goes.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?