Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ohio U Football Coach Frank Solich Charged with DUI

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Ohio U Football Coach Frank Solich Charged with DUI

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/5419216/de...s=col&psp=news
    Ohio University Coach Solich Charged With Drunken Driving

Coach Led Bobcats To 4-7 Record In First Season

UPDATED: 2:01 pm EST November 28, 2005
    ATHENS, Ohio -- Ohio University football coach Frank Solich was scheduled to appear in court on Monday after he was charged with drunken driving Saturday.

Details of Solich's arrest were not available, but the university issued a statement on Monday, saying that he was charged with operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated and violation of one-way traffic."I have visited with Frank, and he deeply regrets that these events occurred," Ohio University athletic director Kirby Hocutt said in a statement. "He understands that he is in a leadership position and that it is incumbent upon him to lead by example."The statement went on to read that the university continues to monitor the situation as the legal process goes forward. "I know Frank as a man of impeccable integrity, and I am confident that he will respond to this situation in a positive manner and use these circumstances to better teach others, including his players, the importance of making wise decisions," Hocutt said.

The university is approaching the situation as a personnel matter and Solich will continue to perform his duties as head football coach, according to the statement.

Solich was hired in December 2004 to take over an Ohio University program that had languished at the bottom of the Mid-American Conference the last several seasons.

He was fired by Nebraska after the 2003 season despite a 58-19 record as the successor to Tom Osborne, who retired in 1997 after winning three national championships in his last four seasons.

Ohio University's football season ended on Nov. 21 with a loss to Miami University. The Bobcats ended their season with a 4-7 record, which was highlighted by an upset of Pittsburgh.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ohio U Football Coach Frank Solich Charged with DUI

Solich better home that Nancy Zimpher never comes to Ohio U
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Solich better home that Nancy Zimpher never comes to Ohio U
    It was Bob Goin that instituted the zero-tolerance. And it was exercised today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2239396
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Oh the dreaded one way streets of Athens.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    It was Bob Goin that instituted the zero-tolerance. And it was exercised today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2239396
    UC just can't catch a break, this is the second time he's been arrested for this. Just what Zimp needs, more excuses to slam the basketball department.

Huggins get arrested for DUI, LeGree as well and manages to beat the rap. They know the athletic department is under a microscope, so................Mr. Genius does it again, what an IDIOT.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

When you're a student and you can walk everywhere on that campus, you don't even have to THINK about driving. Very nice. None of the students usually get the DUIs.

HOWEVER, when you're a "grownup"- or, let's say just for comparison's sake, a visiting alumni who drives in- it becomes a whole heck of a lot easier to do something that gets noticed. Let's also say that, uh, a friend of mine- yeah, that's the ticket- came perilously close to getting a DUI of his own while driving fifteen miles an hour (headed for a destination about a quarter of a mile away, no less) without headlights on this one time a couple of years back.

You try getting fired from a Major D-1 program because you went 9-2 back to back - then drop all the way down to some low-level MAC school that would rather have the title of National Champion Party School than to be MAC Champs in ANYTHING.

I'd start drinking too. Heavily.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

For a Level Playing Field

Interesting.... in my 4 years in Athens I never saw a drunk person. Guess I shouldn't have been in the library so much...

I think that this trend of firing a coach for a DWI, unless the events occur on company time, is a bit drastic. Of course, some get paid enough to afford a driver, but that's another story.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

One thing is certain -- they're not going to get a better coach than Solich there in Athens.

They'd be wise to look the other way on this one.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I think that this trend of firing a coach for a DWI, unless the events occur on company time, is a bit drastic. Of course, some get paid enough to afford a driver, but that's another story.
    After all the attention and problems the UC basketball program has had in the last year for Keith LeGree to be arrested AGAIN for DUI, after beating the wrap the first time, he deserves to be fired for being a complete idiot.

The person I feel bad for is Andy Kennedy. He’s had the Huggins situation, and ill feelings from the fans because of it, dumped into his lap. He lost all the recruits for next season, and can’t recruit anyone now, thanks to Nancy Zimpher’s bungled handling of this mess. If that wasn’t enough, now he’s going to be short staffed for the rest of this season, it’s basically Kennedy and assistant Frank Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    One thing is certain -- they're not going to get a better coach than Solich there in Athens.

They'd be wise to look the other way on this one.
    The funny thing is he said he thought they could win there.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I think he was misquoted. I think what he said was he thought they could wine there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I think he was misquoted. I think what he said was he thought they could wine there.

Or maybe it was drink some Hudy 14K and listen to some April Wine. I know that can be accomplished.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I think he can win there -- the level of competition isn't great.

The guys before him were absolutely horrid recruiters; they all had backgroudns in the service academies, which is an entirely different recruiting skill than getting kids to come to a school like Ohio University.

If Solich can hold onto his job in Athens (which, due to the fact he hasn't been fired yet, I assume he will), I look for them to be playing good football within 2 years.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?