Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Casey to the Red Sox?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Casey to the Sox?

Losing Caseys contract would be excellent, getting arroyo in return would actually make some here say a kind word about OB

If they want Casey we should take anything other then bad salary in return, just to get Casey's 8 mill out of here.
    Go Gators!

On the brink of disaster

Wow, that would be unbelieveable, but one problem still stands, Dunn said he isn't interested in playing 1st full time, so unless he can be convinced to play there, it wouldn't relieve the logjam in the outfield.

Maybe it's time for Griff to take the plunge?

Would be a good move for both the REds and the Sox. Boston would love Casey, and I think the Sox recognize the power of the kind of personal connection Casey makes with fans. In return, I think they'd give the Reds a decent player, since everyone knows a one-year $8M commitment is nothing for Boston. Arroyo would be nice. Youkilis -- I'd like to see the guy on the Reds, but where would he play? 1B? Meaning Dunn stays in left, Griffey in center... not ideal.

I would imagine that the Red Sox picture Casey lobbing doubles off the Green Monster with his inside out style. Of course, they will probably mostly be long singles...
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Getting rid of Casey's contract would actually free up the kind coin the Reds would need to acquire and sign a starting pitcher to a long term deal. I'd take it as a salary-dump issue in a heartbeat.

If the Red could get Bronson Arroyo in return, wow...he took a step back last year to be certain, but he'd still immediately become the #2 starter on the Reds behind Aaron Harang and give the team at least 3 starters that don't totally make your stomach want to churn on a weekly basis.

Yeah, there's no way this is happening, it simply is too good for the Reds and beyond the scope of Dan O'Brien's ability to build a franchise.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I wouldn't say anything bad about O'Brien for hours if he does this one.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Getting rid of Casey's contract would actually free up the kind coin the Reds would need to acquire and sign a starting pitcher to a long term deal. I'd take it as a salary-dump issue in a heartbeat.

If the Red could get Bronson Arroyo in return, wow...he took a step back last year to be certain, but he'd still immediately become the #2 starter on the Reds behind Aaron Harang and give the team at least 3 starters that don't totally make your stomach want to churn on a weekly basis.

Yeah, there's no way this is happening, it simply is too good for the Reds and beyond the scope of Dan O'Brien's ability to build a franchise.

If DanO pulled it off would you think he might get a chance to finish out his contract?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

I just hope and pray there is truth to this rumor.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Re: Casey to the Red Sox?

Sources indicated that talks are ongoing with the Reds regarding 31-year-old Casey, who is owed $8.5 million next season after batting .312 with nine home runs, 58 RBI and a .371 on-base percentage in 2005. The affable, left-handed hitter owns a lifetime batting average of .305, and has struck out only 467 times in 4,017 at-bats.

Cincinnati is looking for players who could play right away and is believed to have interest in Bronson Arroyo and Queen City native Kevin Youkilis, among others.
    I like this

First, seeing Jeff Horrigan write about a member of the Reds reminds me of how much I miss him on the Reds beat (not a knock on you Marc, I wish you both got to cover the team). I get to read him regularly, but I can disassociate him from his former Reds connection in my mind when he's not actively mentioning Reds players.

Second, I'd be gung ho for that deal. What about Arroyo and Wade Miller? Supposedly Miller can be had for not much. Maybe the Reds could kick in Kent Mercker to help seal the deal.
    Last edited by M2; 12-03-2005 at 12:07 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I'd take the "Greek God of Walks"

Hi, Redszone people, any interest in a visiting Red Sox fan?

Turn Off Ads?