Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Indside Scoop re: the front office

Indside Scoop re: the front office

Thought this would be very interesting for most of you...I spoke to someone last night who, let's just say, is very closely connected to the team (or at least will be by the end of the year ), and he informed me that Lou Pinella was in town last week to discuss the GENERAL MANAGER position, not the field manager as was originally speculated. While nothing is imminent, the courting process has definitely begun.

I know all the "inside scoop" posts on here are usually trashed and the poster is at risk of having his/her credibility attacked (and sometimes rightly so), but I just thought I'd pass that along to those of you that may be interested. Not saying that anything will happen for sure, but just the possibility being discussed is quite intriguing. Have a great day!
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Indside Scoop re: the front office

I sure hope this doesn't come to pass.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Your sig, if meaning UM, is one strike against your credibility (sorry MWM)
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Ha! Thought so.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I sure hope this doesn't come to pass.
    The guy was GM for one year, 18 years ago.

Murphys Law plus the Reds AND their fans inability to seperate the past from the future place the odds of it happening dangerously high.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Your sig, if meaning UM, is one strike against your credibility (sorry MWM)
    Ahem.....

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I can back that up. Lou was here by invitation and did discuss the GM post. He was luke warm to the idea.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

If this is true, and I suspect it is, then all I can say is, I warned you about getting excited about the new regime. I fully expect the same old crap from this new crew--small-minded, hidebound losers.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Why not discuss him being the Manager, if he wasn't up for the GM position?

With all the interesting GM canidates out there, what would the new owners want with Pinella?

Seems like a questionble first move, but I guess it might be better than Dan O.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Willy
    With all the interesting GM canidates out there, what would the new owners want with Pinella?
    Off the top of my head:

Should work cheaper than a proven GM. This is still a small-market team, after all.

Brings a name who fans link with past Reds glory and who will be automatically perceived as putting things back on the path to glory.

Widely known as a fiery personality who will be perceived as shaking things up in the front office. Thus giving the aura of substantial change when compared to the milquetoast persona of the current GM.

Retired

Lou isn't GM material, manager yes, GM no.

Team Clark, have you heard if Lou would be interested in the manager job here?

So this means DanO is truely a lame duck GM. Lets just hope the sell goes through next week and a new GM is in place by the winter meetings.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Lou isn't GM material, manager yes, GM no.

Team Clark, have you heard if Lou would be interested in the manager job here?

IF, and I do mean IF Lou were to take the post I FIRMLY believe it would be a Bobby Cox situation. GM for maybe a year, possibly two, then get back in the hot seat. Dan O, Dean Taylor, Tim Naehring, Grant Griesser, most of the marketing department, public relations and stadium operations folks are all looking to be replaced. As they should be.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    IF, and I do mean IF Lou were to take the post I FIRMLY believe it would be a Bobby Cox situation. GM for maybe a year, possibly two, then get back in the hot seat. Dan O, Dean Taylor, Tim Naehring, Grant Griesser, most of the marketing department, public relations and stadium operations folks are all looking to be replaced. As they should be.
    I love Lou, but I think hiring him as the GM, even for a short while, wouldn’t be a smart idea. He has very limited experience and managing a team on the field if a lot different than building one. Even if he’s the GM for year, that’s another year wasted. If the ultimate goal is to slide Lou into the managers slot than axe Narron now and get it over with. This franchise is so far behind it doesn’t have the luxury of wasting anymore time.

Paul DePodesta is still floating out there; I’d like to see the Reds make a play for him. He hasn’t seen much interest from other teams and might be willing to come here now, he’s the type of chance the Reds need to take.

First thing the new ownership needs to do is fire John Allen and hire a well repected baseball person to run the CEO position of this outfit.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Turn Off Ads?