Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Police Officer Shot in Heart Ignored Wound and Continued Pursuit

Police Officer Shot in Heart Ignored Wound and Continued Pursuit

Mortally Wounded Officer Pursues Suspect
    Alleged Gunman Accused in Another Police Shooting

By TOM HAYS, AP

NEW YORK (Nov. 29) - A police officer who was shot in the heart early Monday during a car chase ignored the wound and helped try to catch the gunman before dying later at a hospital, authorities said.

Dillon Stewart, 35, died despite wearing a bulletproof vest. One round entered his left armpit, missing the protective plating "by no more than a quarter of an inch," Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said.

Stewart, who was married with two children, "showed remarkable tenacity and courage in pursuing his assailant," Kelly said.

The suspect, Allan Cameron, 27, also was picked out of a lineup Monday in connection with the robbery and shooting of officer Wiener Philippe on Nov. 19, police Sgt. Mary Christine Doherty said Monday.

Philippe was returning to his home at about 6 a.m. when a gunman hopped out of a car and demanded his wallet, watch and jewelry, police said.

Cameron was facing charges including first-degree murder and attempted murder in the two cases, Doherty said. Cameron was being processed early Tuesday, and information was not immediately available on whether he had a lawyer.

A handgun believed to be the homicide weapon was found outside an apartment building where Cameron was captured after a massive manhunt, police said.

Authorities said the suspected shooter, who surrendered peacefully, was given three years of probation in 2003 after pleading guilty to various traffic violations.

The chase began when Stewart and his partner spotted a car with stolen New Jersey license plates speeding through a red light, police said. Stewart made a U-turn and pursued the car with lights and sirens on.

At one point, the police car pulled alongside the other vehicle on its passenger side. That's when the driver leaned over and began shooting, police said.

With Stewart still in pursuit, the suspect sped to a basement garage about two blocks away before disappearing. Stewart left his car, realized he had been shot but remained conscious as other officers rushed him to the hospital, the commissioner said.

Following surgery, Stewart's heart stopped beating.

He was the first officer killed in the city in the line of duty this year, police said.

Associated Press Writer Pat Milton contributed to this story.

Link to picture of Stewart and alleged shooter
    http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/arti...00010000000001
    11-29-05 06:00 EST

How sad; what remarkable bravery.
    Last edited by WMR; 11-29-2005 at 02:00 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Police Officer Shot in Heart Ignored Wound and Continued Pursuit

Dillon Stewart, 35, died despite wearing a bulletproof vest. One round entered his left armpit, missing the protective plating "by no more than a quarter of an inch," Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said.
    There's a difference of opinion nowadays on what is the best postion of the two to shoot from. If you shoot from the side it makes you less of a target. But most vest don't offer much protection from that angle. Some teach you to shoot full frontal (letting the vest to provide protection). But it's better to shoot from a covered position, but real life situations sometimes makes that not realistic.

Sad story.

Not sure that I would drive up next to him though. I believe in hot pursuits, but I'm not sure what the officer was planning on doing. Then again, I'm not yet trained for any of that either.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Stories like this give me a lot of respect for cops.

It really shows you how heroic people can be.

One thing that baffles me, though. If you're chasing a car and can pull up next to it, why not hit its rear quarterpanel and cause it to spin out? The pit maneuver, I think it's called. Maybe he didn't have the opportunity to do it safely, but it seems like a good way to end a chase.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?