Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Goals Gone Wild'

Re: 'Goals Gone Wild'

The only way womens professional leagues will survive is if they sell the sexual aspects of it. Even then it's iffy whether that will make that much of a difference.
    I do not think it's proper for the colleges to sell the sex part of it. They should leave that to the pros.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

College sports have to generate some kind of revenue for the school or the program gets dropped.

More tickets equal more money equals better facilities and possibly more scholarships.

People who appreciate the game and the level of talent on the field are already buying tickets. They need to get more casual fans to come to games. Who cares if they are just coming to look at the players' bodies? That's natural behavior. The team might as well benefit from it.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

How many will admit to watching the beach volleyball in the last olympics and not noticing the score at times?

Anyway, perhaps this photo is a bit inappropriate, but it's still interesting how there is a double standard regarding sexual expression of men and women. Remember how in HS if a guy was sleeping around he was a stud but a girl doing the same thing was viewed as a ****?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    College sports have to generate some kind of revenue for the school or the program gets dropped.

More tickets equal more money equals better facilities and possibly more scholarships.

People who appreciate the game and the level of talent on the field are already buying tickets. They need to get more casual fans to come to games. Who cares if they are just coming to look at the players' bodies? That's natural behavior. The team might as well benefit from it.
    That's all true. But even if this does result in a spike in attendance, how long is it going to last. I mean going down to see the pretty young ladies play soccer is one thing but actually watching them play for several games may not be a realistic expectation.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I mean going down to see the pretty young ladies play soccer is one thing but actually watching them play for several games may not be a realistic expectation.
    True. Look at what happened to the women's professional soccer league.

Of course, women's sports and soccer are two things that just won't catch on in this country. Too many American bubbas don't like their womenfolk to be athletic. And they view soccer as a game of 5' 6" European guys running around hugging each other and crying when someone trips them.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

[QUOTE=OldRightHander]How many will admit to watching the beach volleyball in the last olympics and not noticing the score at times?

They actually kept score? I didn't realize that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Ummmmm, I'd go to a game after seeing/reading this article.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    And they view soccer as a game of 5' 6" European guys running around hugging each other and crying when someone trips them.
    For the record, it's large German guys who seem to specialize in the art of acting like you been shot when someone gets within two feet of you.

Those little guys, they're scrappy.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    and we all need scrappy in our sports -

:obrien:
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

maybe, but the latins are the best actors.. Henry never rolls around in pain... which reminds me.. I saw him make a move today on an Arsenal rematch that was beautiful... way prettier than a couple of CC college girls in sports bras.

For the record, it's large German guys who seem to specialize in the art of acting like you been shot when someone gets within two feet of you.

I know -- I used to be one of those little, scrappy players back in high school.

But ask your average Cletus Van Yokel to describe a soccer player, and he'll say something about a Hungarian midget with a mullet and a single, unpronouncible name, rubbing shorts with his teammates and flying twenty feet across the field after someone bumps into him.

At least that's how my friends describe soccer players.

Maybe I'm hanging with the wrong crowd.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 12-01-2005 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    I make no comment other than to note that it never ceases to amaze me how differently our society views women who are openly expressive about their sexuality as opposed to men who are the same way.
    I see far more women openly expressing their sexuality on TV, commercials, and various ads, then I do men. That's my point. Men don't have to portray that image in order to "sell"/prostitue themselves or the sport... but women do? I disagree.

I agree with what Roy further added, and also woy's wifes argument/position. This is what it takes to get society to recognize the authenticity /value of women's sports?...the Coor's Swedish Bikini Team?

I'm opposed to it regardless of the sex. But it is viewed differently because parents (epecially fathers) are more protective of their daughters. Greater repercussions for the woman IMO, than the man. I guess it all boils down to how one views sex, their individual values, and opinion of it.

It's just men... generally speaking, they only care what the package looks like on the outside.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-01-2005 at 08:47 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    maybe, but the latins are the best actors.. Henry never rolls around in pain... which reminds me.. I saw him make a move today on an Arsenal rematch that was beautiful... way prettier than a couple of CC college girls in sports bras.
    He is a heck of a player. The last match I saw of theirs was one they won 3-0. Every goal was a thing of beauty in that game. For the life of me I can't remember who scored the other two.

I think the colleges just need to accept that women's sports just aren't as exciting for American spectators, and thus they will never be as big of a fan draw as men's sports. Marketing gimmics like this just show desparation, and they really aren't going to bring that much interest or sell more tickets. People might laugh at the ad, but seriously, is anyone actually going to buy tickets for this.. maybe one game at the most.

They tried all kinds of gimmicks when I was in college to get people to watch the women's basketball team (like playing the women's game right in front of the men's, so you were forced to watch both), but the bottom line is most people just aren't interested, so there's no point in trying to force feed it to them.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

When I was at NKU, the men's basketball team stunk and the women had a decent team. There would be a good crowd at the women's game and then half of them would leave when the men's game started.

Turn Off Ads?