Updated: Nov. 30, 2005, 11:02 PM ET
Giles agrees to three-year, $30 million dealESPN.com news services
SAN DIEGO -- Right fielder Brian Giles reached a preliminary agreement Wednesday night to re-sign with his hometown San Diego Padres for $30 million over three years.
The deal is pending Giles' scheduled physical on Thursday morning and an announcement is expected later in the day, two baseball officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been finalized yet.
One of the top outfielders on the free-agent market, Giles batted .301 with 15 homers and 83 RBI last season, leading the NL West-champion Padres in most offensive categories. He drew a major league-best 119 walks and had a .423 on-base percentage.
The two-time All-Star will earn $9 million per season from 2006-08, with a $9 million option for 2009 that could raise the value of the deal to $36 million over four years. The club has a $3 million buyout for 2009.
Late last week, it appeared that Giles would leave the Padres after the team rejected a three-year, $25.5 million proposal from his agent, Joe Bick.
"I guess the Padres had a change of heart," Bick said Wednesday night.
Bick told ESPN Insider Jerry Crasnick that Padres GM Kevin Towers called him Wednesday morning and the two sides had conversations throughout the day, but that a deal is not yet complete.
"There are still issues to be discussed," Bick told Crasnick.
While the Toronto Sun reported the Blue Jays made a five-year, $55 million to Giles, sources said Toronto had presented only a three-offer. However, the money was believed to be higher than what he would receive from the Padres.