Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian Giles signs 3 year $30 Million deal

Brian Giles signs 3 year $30 Million deal

Another contract that is way too large. Brian Giles has resigned with the Padres for 3 years for $30 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2242891

Updated: Nov. 30, 2005, 11:02 PM ET
    Giles agrees to three-year, $30 million dealESPN.com news services

SAN DIEGO -- Right fielder Brian Giles reached a preliminary agreement Wednesday night to re-sign with his hometown San Diego Padres for $30 million over three years.

The deal is pending Giles' scheduled physical on Thursday morning and an announcement is expected later in the day, two baseball officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been finalized yet.

One of the top outfielders on the free-agent market, Giles batted .301 with 15 homers and 83 RBI last season, leading the NL West-champion Padres in most offensive categories. He drew a major league-best 119 walks and had a .423 on-base percentage.

The two-time All-Star will earn $9 million per season from 2006-08, with a $9 million option for 2009 that could raise the value of the deal to $36 million over four years. The club has a $3 million buyout for 2009.

Late last week, it appeared that Giles would leave the Padres after the team rejected a three-year, $25.5 million proposal from his agent, Joe Bick.

"I guess the Padres had a change of heart," Bick said Wednesday night.

Bick told ESPN Insider Jerry Crasnick that Padres GM Kevin Towers called him Wednesday morning and the two sides had conversations throughout the day, but that a deal is not yet complete.

"There are still issues to be discussed," Bick told Crasnick.

While the Toronto Sun reported the Blue Jays made a five-year, $55 million to Giles, sources said Toronto had presented only a three-offer. However, the money was believed to be higher than what he would receive from the Padres.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Brian Giles signs 3 year $30 Million deal

Score one for Joe Bick -- Cincinnati agent-extraordinaire.

I went to middle school with his son Brett waaaayyy back in the day.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

I guess the Yankees, Blue Jays and Cardinals struck out on that one.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

This deal is not so smart. Giles is still a good player, but clearly on the decline, and he's not getting any younger.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Hmn...

Now I could be wrong, but this smells like a linchpin signing to me. I'd have to think that a number of teams have been waiting to see what happened with Giles (including teams interested in signing him). Now that he and Konerko are signed, we might just see the trade market for available offensive players heating up.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Too much for his age, I hope the Padres can pawn him off on someone else.
    Go Gators!

Now I could be wrong, but this smells like a linchpin signing to me. I'd have to think that a number of teams have been waiting to see what happened with Giles (including teams interested in signing him). Now that he and Konerko are signed, we might just see the trade market for available offensive players heating up.
    Of course. That's the way the market works every winter. Another domino will be catchers Molina and Hernandez. The losers there may have interest in Larue/Valentin.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I had not seen this one posted anywhere yet...

Very close call

How close was free-agent outfielder Brian Giles to leaving the Padres? Extremely close.
    Giles, 34, was within 15 minutes of finalizing a deal with another team, believed to be the Dodgers, when he agreed to his new, three-year, $30 million contract with the Padres, FOXSports.com has learned.

The offer that Giles refused was for three years in the $35 million range, with the chance to increase to about $44 million if he met a vesting option based on plate appearances.

His deal with the Padres includes a club option that could increase the total value of his contract to $36 million. In other words, Giles took as much as $8 million less to stay with the Padres.

The Blue Jays and Yankees also made initial offers to Giles. If given the chance, the Blue Jays might have been willing to go to four years, $48 million. The Indians were not far behind in the bidding.

-Ken Rosenthal
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I think it's a bargain. He's not the player he was three years ago, but we're talking about a guy who had a 1.008 OPS on the road last year.

He had a .423 on base percentage overall.

So long as he's not going to play CF, as some other teams threatened to do with him, he's a decent if not a plus corner OF.

But since the PERCEPTION exists that guys like Johnny Damon are more valuable, this signing may indeed affect the market.

Very good player. Fair price.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Giles was the best RF in baseball last year. Put him in LA or NY and people would be amazed he came so cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Giles was the best RF in baseball last year.

"My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Maybe he meant the NL?
    Go Gators!

Update on Giles through May:

Code:
     AB 2B HR BB  K  AVG  OPB  SLG  OPS
    194 9  5  38 19 .278 .399 .402 .801
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Decent, but not for 10 mill.
    Go Gators!

Bailing out the Cards the other night by getting picked off first in the 9th with two outs must have sweetended the deal. One of the lousiest endings to a baseball game I've seen in years, akin to balking in the winning run.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?