Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Randolph Morris Story: McDonald's All-American to McDonald's Job Application....

The Randolph Morris Story: McDonald's All-American to McDonald's Job Application....

In revealing the worst kept secret in the Bluegrass, UK is now confirming that they have entered the appeals process with the NCAA regarding Morris' eligibility...but neither side will confirm what the exact ruling was. Those in the know saw this coming a week or so ago when word got out about about the AD retaining an attorney recently.

People that I have spoken with within the AD claim that the ruling was clear and simple: Morris has no eligibility remaining. We're not talking game penalties, here...we're talking "nice knowing you...." The NCAA has seen enough to decide that there was tacit acceptance of agent representation from Morris. I am no fan of the NCAA, but it would be hard to argue with their ruling.

If you read the case closely, it appears to be an open and shut case. Although, it wouldn't hurt if somebody tried to explain the difference between an oral and written agreement to Randolph Morris' father. But don't get me started on that snapper head. All he's good for is bad fatherly advice and even worse media quotes. Somebody please get the microphone away from this man.

This is where the rubber meets the road: SFX acted like Morris was theirs and Morris let them. If Morris ever had ANY intention of coming back to UK, then he wouldn't have done the following:

1) Fax a "Dear Tubby" letter to the coach instead of meeting with him or picking up the phone
    2) Have SFX fax his tryout itinerary to the NBA Scouts who needed a good laugh
    3) Accept private plane rides and upgraded lodging from NBA teams
    4) Have SFX send a letter to NCAA saying he was still remaining in the draft after scouts torched his work ethic

Think about it this way: If, by some miracle, Morris was drafted and signed a contract with another agent...you would fully expect that SFX would be the one hiring the attorney right now. Especially considering the effort they expended pimping him to teams that eventually passed on him.

The irony here is that during this past summer, the NCAA actually forced Morris and his family to pay back all related expenses to the NBA teams which invited him to workouts. This was required BEFORE THE NCAA WOULD EVEN HEAR HIS ELIGIBILITY CASE. Now that the NCAA has told him not to bother impersonating an amateur anymore, he has no recourse whatsover in recouping those funds from any of the NBA teams (the dollar total was rumored to be in the thousands of dollars).

So, UK has gone six months and now six regular season basketball games without a true option at center. The Morris Enigma that hung over the program during recruiting season has now officially put the team over a barrel. No high school or JUCO center prospect worth a damn even considered coming to UK this year with the spectre of Morris' return to campus looming around Lexington.

Indiana's Killingsworth scored 34 points against Duke last night. Watching UK's frontline try to defend him on December 10th will more likely resemble the Battle of Little Big Horn....and we ain't the ones wearing feathers, either.

Posted on Thu, Dec. 01, 2005

UK can appeal Morris decision
    CATS, NCAA REFUSE TO SAY WHAT DECISION WAS
    By Jerry Tipton
    HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER

A NCAA appeals committee made a judgment yesterday on an important question surrounding the restoration of Kentucky big man Randolph Morris's eligibility: What was the nature of his relationship with the sports agency SFX when he entered this year's NBA draft?

Neither Kentucky nor NCAA officials would reveal the NCAA Division I Legislative Review and Interpretations Committee decision, which hits at the heart of Morris's future eligibility. NCAA rules prohibit a player from entering a written or oral agreement with an agent.

Several links between Morris and SFX became known as the player entered the draft and then tried to regain his eligibility after going unselected.

No one spoke optimistically about Morris quickly rejoining Kentucky's team. Perhaps tellingly, a NCAA news release noted that UK could appeal the decision to a higher authority in the organization, the Management Council. Pending an appeal, a judgment that SFX served as Morris's agent would mean UK seeks the restoration of eligibility for a player who officially crossed a bright line separating amateur and professional.

UK would seek the restoration of Morris's eligibility from the Student-Athlete Reinstatement staff at NCAA headquarters in Indianapolis. The staff will determine if Morris can be reinstated, and, if so, under conditions such as repayment of expenses paid by the NBA. Morris also could be suspended for a specific number of games. Morris would get credit for the six games he's missed so far this season in any suspension.

When contacted last night, the player's father had not heard about the decision. Ralph Morris sounded ready to accept an unfavorable judgment.

"I'm just kind of ambivalent now," he said, "because it's dragged out so long. You get to the point that if they decide against him or declare him ineligible, life goes on. You move on."

SFX reportedly arranged a workout for Morris and other prospects, who subsequently declared themselves clients of the agency, in Chicago prior to the June 28 draft. SFX also issued a statement to the media announcing Morris' decision to not avail himself of the option of leaving the draft. A list compiled to help NBA teams arrange pre-draft workouts for prospects had SFX as the contact for Morris.

Morris and SFX denied that an oral or written agreement existed.

When asked if a trained eye of an agent would see significance in the links, Calvin Andrews said yes.

"It would mean you were representing that guy or you have an agreement to represent him," said Andrews, who represents former UK star Chuck Hayes. "Therein lies the problem."

Andrews acknowledged that he had no direct knowledge of the relationship between Morris and SFX.

Former UK player Bret Bearup, whose job as a financial advisor for athletes makes him familiar with player-agent relationships, interpreted the SFX-Morris links as signs of an agreement.

SFX probably did its work "with the expectation if he was drafted, he'd sign with them," said Bearup, who also admitted no direct knowledge. "Certainly there's evidence of some sort of agreement."

Ralph Morris insisted that no written agreement existed.

When asked if SFX had an oral understanding with his son and the family, Ralph Morris said, "I don't think that's the case. Then again, that is how they interpret their rules."

The SFX-arranged workout in Chicago? "What does that mean?" Ralph Morris said.

The statement SFX made to the media on his son's behalf? "I could have done that," Ralph Morris said. "Or anybody on the street. Does that mean they represent him? It's how they interpret it, I guess."

Morris, a 6-foot-10 center, came to UK last year as one of three McDonald's All-Americans. It seemed plausible for him to consider jumping directly from Atlanta's Landmark Christian High to the NBA.

After he averaged a pedestrian 8.8 points and 4.2 rebounds, Morris surprised many by entering the draft and not withdrawing.

"He's doing fine," Ralph Morris said of his son's emotional state. "He's a resilient person, and I think he's matured a great deal over the last year. He sees the world the way it is as opposed to being protected."

When asked if he meant the proverbial cold, cruel world, the player's father said, "Oh yes."
    Last edited by Blimpie; 12-09-2005 at 01:08 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Randolph Morris Story: McDonald's All-American to McDonald's Job Application....

I'm a UK fan and I thought all along that he compromised his elgiblity away when he left his name in the draft and basically was letting SFX handle his affairs. Morris has no one to blame but himself and his advisors who is his father. His father thought he could get all the way around the NCAA rules by never signing anything. Well it's quite obvious they had an oral agreement with SFX from the start. I wish UK would just drop the whole thing. Nothing good is going to come of it. If the NCAA did rule him eligible, then went on to a championship, a huge black cloud would hang over the program. Another black cloud they don't need. It's time for UK to cut their losses with the Morris's and move on.
    Yes I do think Killingsworth and other good big men will eat UK up but Tubby has always found a way around this. UK will be just fine this season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Re: The Randolph Morris Story: McDonald's All-American to McDonald's Job Application....

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds
    I'm a UK fan and I thought all along that he compromised his elgiblity away when he left his name in the draft and basically was letting SFX handle his affairs. Morris has no one to blame but himself and his advisors who is his father. His father thought he could get all the way around the NCAA rules by never signing anything. Well it's quite obvious they had an oral agreement with SFX from the start. I wish UK would just drop the whole thing. Nothing good is going to come of it. If the NCAA did rule him eligible, then went on to a championship, a huge black cloud would hang over the program. Another black cloud they don't need. It's time for UK to cut their losses with the Morris's and move on.
    Yes I do think Killingsworth and other good big men will eat UK up but Tubby has always found a way around this. UK will be just fine this season.
    It is a very popular strategy known as: "15 Fouls to Give"

I'm a UK fan, and I like and respect Tubby very much, but I think he gives malcontents too much rope sometimes. I hoped he would cut ties with Morris after the faxed Dear John letter, and I say that if it cost them a good Juco center for this season, then they're getting what they deserve for continuing to mess with Morris. I have no sympathy for Morris, either.

If Mitch Barnhardt is the mastermind behind this appeal, then things will turn out fine, just as they have with the football program.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Tubby is not a top 5 coach. He won his ring with Ricky P. players. If we do not make it to a final four this year, it will tie the longest time since Rupp. 8 years!

Would you not consider that a final four is about the same as a BCS bowl game? What would they do at Oklahoma or Miami if it had been 8 years since their coach had been to a BCS bowl? We already found out what happen at Florida when their EX coach did not go to a BCS bowl in 3 years...he's now losing games for Illinois. Is Kentucky a "top" college basketball school, like Miami, Oklahoma, USC, is a "top" college football school?
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster
    Tubby is not a top 5 coach. He won his ring with Ricky P. players. If we do not make it to a final four this year, it will tie the longest time since Rupp. 8 years!

Would you not consider that a final four is about the same as a BCS bowl game? What would they do at Oklahoma or Miami if it had been 8 years since their coach had been to a BCS bowl? We already found out what happen at Florida when their EX coach did not go to a BCS bowl in 3 years...he's now losing games for Illinois. Is Kentucky a "top" college basketball school, like Miami, Oklahoma, USC, is a "top" college football school?
    Regardless, he is still embraced by the state of Kentucky.

While I have yet to forgive Tubby for the Saul Smith years, he is still one of the best defensive coaches in college basketball. The problems I have with Tubby are that-

1.He cant coach McDonalds All Americans. Tayshaun Prince, Rajon Rondo and maybe Keith Bogans are probably the only exceptions, even though I thought Bogans underachieved at Kentucky. Marvin Stone was a bust through and through, Joe Crawford wanted to leave last year, and Randolph Morris tried the NBA and is trying now to regain elegibility.

2.His teams can't play physical. They get dominated by teams who play stronger. It doesnt matter whether its Marquette with DWayne Wade or Iowa a couple of weeks ago. If you play physical, you will more often than not come away with a win against UK.

One thing I do like is that Tubby manages to find players at the bottom of the radar and get the most out of them. Even though none of them will play in the NBA, its players like Gerald Fitch, Chuck Hayes, and Kelenna Azubuike that are the reason Tubby still has a job.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Regardless, he is still embraced by the state of Kentucky.

While I have yet to forgive Tubby for the Saul Smith years, he is still one of the best defensive coaches in college basketball. The problems I have with Tubby are that-

1.He cant coach McDonalds All Americans. Tayshaun Prince, Rajon Rondo and maybe Keith Bogans are probably the only exceptions, even though I thought Bogans underachieved at Kentucky. Marvin Stone was a bust through and through, Joe Crawford wanted to leave last year, and Randolph Morris tried the NBA and is trying now to regain elegibility.

2.His teams can't play physical. They get dominated by teams who play stronger. It doesnt matter whether its Marquette with DWayne Wade or Iowa a couple of weeks ago. If you play physical, you will more often than not come away with a win against UK.

One thing I do like is that Tubby manages to find players at the bottom of the radar and get the most out of them. Even though none of them will play in the NBA, its players like Gerald Fitch, Chuck Hayes, and Kelenna Azubuike that are the reason Tubby still has a job.
    First of all, whether or not Tubby Smith is a top tier coach is a question that no UK fan should be asked to address. The simple reason is that we all are spoiled and have ridiculous expectations for the program, the players, and the coach. However, I am firmly aligned with the group of people who feel that Tubby IS a top 5 collegiate coach. If you ask is coaching peers, they will but him in the top 1 or 2.

To say that he "cannot coach All-Americans" is rather amusing to me. Most coaches work their whole lives to simply land and All-American recuit. Tubby lands 3-4 during one recruiting season and now he doesn't know how to coach them? IMO, All-Americans are the single hardest type of athlete to coach. Period. Most of them have been fauned over since they were 10 years old and have never been asked to come off the bench. (see: Joe Crawford) At UK, you check your AAU credentials at the door.

I won't spend much time on this one, however, Keith Bogans "underachieved" his way to the # 4 spot on the all time career scoring list at the winningest program in college basketball history. If fact, by position, he ranks # 1 all time for guards. How's this sound:

1) Dan Issel
    2) Kenny Walker
    3) Jack Givens
    4) Keith Bogans

Yes, Marvin Stone was a bust through and through...even while at Louisville. The joke around here used to be that Tubby made Marvin a deal regarding his release to transfer: If Tubby threw the scholarship release to Marvin, and he could catch it, then he was free to transfer. He was just a dog, period. The fact that he was even a McDonald's All-American should show you how subjective the ratings system has become. The guy made Randolph Morris appear "scrappy."

As far as Tubby finding potential where others do not, he is quite skilled. Rekalin Sims was absolute STEAL for a JUCO transfer.

Marco is an excellent example of a big man that will eat UK up this year but he's far from the only one.

I think UK should plan on making the 2-3 their primary defense. I just don't think they've got the personnel to successfully play much man-to-man against teams with any sort of inside presence.

I think you are right WilyMo. After their uninspired loss to Iowa, I was pretty worried about West Virginia in the consolation game. It wasn't until Tubby switched to zone that UK really pulled away from WVU. At that point, West Virginia couldn't throw it in the river from beyond the arc--so it made Tubby appear genius.

What do you think about making Shagari more of a cog in the 2-3?

Man to man he is pretty rough; but in a 2-3 he can cause some major havoc and alter A LOT of shots.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    What do you think about making Shagari more of a cog in the 2-3?

Man to man he is pretty rough; but in a 2-3 he can cause some major havoc and alter A LOT of shots.
    Be it zone or man-to-man, I think Shagari is in the dog CONDO right now. As in, expect a prolonged visit. I think he is gonna evolve into a human victory cigar in games this year.

The center position will remain Tubby's biggest challenge all year long. Trying Sims at the 5 spot is gonna ruin him both physically and mentally. He's already crying 'uncle' to the press hoping it will change Tubby's mind. OTOH, Woo showed signs of life this week, although that was only after holding a mirror under his face. Jared Carter has shown me SOME things offensively; however, like most freshmen, he cannot control his fouls yet at this level.

I saw a statistic on Carter the other day that was telling: There are 8 UK players that are averaging at least double the playing minutes of Carter; yet, is 3rd on the team in total fouls....

I know there's lots of room for things to change, both positively and negatively, but where do you see this team ending up this year, Blimpie?

I know there's lots of room for things to change, both positively and negatively, but where do you see this team ending up this year, Blimpie?
    Start with the schedule: The SEC appears to be really average competition (nobody other than Florida in the East is scary) and the non-conference schedule has been eased up this year due to Tubby's pleading. No longer do we have the epic five consecutive Saturdays we have done prior to conference play during the last few years (dropping Michigan State from the mix helped). Kansas appears to be like Carolina in that they lost too much talent. You never like having to travel to Lawrence, but they showed last night that they are VERY beatable (Nevada?).

They will NEVER rebound enough to suit Tubby, but you cannot have your point guard lead the way every single night. According to Bill Keightly, this UK team works on free throws more than any team he has been around for 48 years...yet they are still hovering around 60% as a team. However, they are much better in the second half than they are during the first.

My feeling is that once the regular rotations get established sometime this month, they will go on a bit of a run. Before the season started, I saw this team having 4-6 losses going into March either with or without Randolph Morris. I still think that might be the case.

Believe it or not, I think they actually need to let Sparks shoot MORE and not less. Let Rondo take off down court and get 3-4 easy buckets per game. But until they get the rebounding problem straightned out, Sparks is gonna be the guy streaking up court after shots.

All that being said, they will fall where they always do: Anywhere from a # 1-3 seed in the NCAA Tourney. Final Four would be nice, but I wouldn't bet any dough on it.

Any chance of this next step in the Randolph Morriss saga bearing any success? It sure doesn't look that way.

Any chance of this next step in the Randolph Morriss saga bearing any success? It sure doesn't look that way.
    Kinda reeks of desperation, huh? I know that this attorney that they retained (Rick Evrard) is extremely high priced and for good reason. Personally, I don't know if I would have spent the money on Morriss. I don't think his presence would help the team achieve much more than 1 or 2 wins in any event.
    Last edited by Blimpie; 12-02-2005 at 02:30 PM.

Turn Off Ads?