Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bob Huggins, Bill Walker, and O.J. Mayo...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Bob Huggins, Bill Walker, and O.J. Mayo...

One Juicy Rumor:
    George Dohrmann, SI.com
    I heard a lot of speculation about where O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker will attend college, none of it from informed sources, but there was one rumor so juicy it stood out. Bob Huggins was said to have the inside track on O.J. and Bill (they have said they will go to college together) before he was fired at Cincinnati. As has been reported, he continues to speak with the boys even though he is not recruiting them to a specific school. If he has any sway over them (and some speculate that he was the one who convinced O.J. and Bill's AAU coach to move them closer to Cincinnati) then he could use that as leverage in getting a new job.Which school would appeal to Huggins as well as the boys?"How about Marshall?" speculated one person who said he has spoken to Huggins. "Huggins is from West Virginia and so are O.J. and Bill."Current Marshall coach Ron Jirsa is entering only his second season and certainly deserves more time to turn around the program. But would Marshall dump him at the chance to grab Huggins with the understanding that, after one season, he would bring O.J. and Bill back home to Huntington? I hope not, as it would be a disservice to Jirsa, but if Huggins can indeed deliver O.J. and Bill, it will be interesting to see what schools line up to hire him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bob Huggins, Bill Walker, and O.J. Mayo...

Not disputing what you've heard, but what logic would it make for Huggins to go to a lower tier school like Marshall?

Just saying.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I cannot imagine for one second Mayo and Walker going to Marshall. Just can't see it.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Retired

The rumors about UC/Huggins have been flying around all over the place in the last month or so. Mayo and Walker stated they still have interest in UC, but I think it's going to hinge on who they hire as coach. If UC hires a nobody and Huggins lands with a major program they will probably follow him.

A good friend of mine has close ties to the UC athletic office, he said Zimpher is really feeling the heat over the basketball situation and many in the department are worried about the tanking attendance figures. They are scared to death after some losses pile up (and zero recruits coming in next year) they could be looking at 7,000 or less attendees per game. Big East officials have also expressed their displeasure with the current state of the program from what I hear. They are worried if the next coach doesn’t appeal to the fans they are in deep trouble. He said Skip Prosser’s name is the only one he hears with regularity, and expects UC to go after him hard this offseason.
    Last edited by Reds4Life; 12-01-2005 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Not disputing what you've heard, but what logic would it make for Huggins to go to a lower tier school like Marshall?

Just saying.
    If those 2 and Huggins went to Marshall, it wouldn't be a lower tier school any more. As for Walker and Mayo, what do they care where they go to school? It's not like they will stay there past their sophomore years and I guarantee you ESPN will televise about as many Marshall games as they do Duke games. If Walker and Mayo are as good as advertised it won't matter where they go to school cause they are supposed to be lottery picks anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Retired

If Mayo/Walker follow Huggins anywhere the rage against Zimpher is going to be intense. Where ever they go is going to be an instant contender for a national title.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph

Just saying.
    Marshall was on the up swing before Donnavon left to go to Florida, you can win there if you have the players, and they would be giddy to have him on board.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    The rumors about UC/Huggins have been flying around all over the place in the last month or so. Mayo and Walker stated they still have interest in UC, but I think it's going to hinge on who they hire as coach. If UC hires a nobody and Huggins lands with a major program they will probably follow him.

A good friend of mine has close ties to the UC athletic office, he said Zimpher is really feeling the heat over the basketball situation and many in the department are worried about the tanking attendance figures. They are scared to death after some losses pile up (and zero recruits coming in next year) they could be looking at 7,000 or less attendees per game. Big East officials have also expressed their displeasure with the current state of the program from what I hear. They are worried if the next coach doesn’t appeal to the fans they are in deep trouble. He said Skip Prosser’s name is the only one he hears with regularity, and expects UC to go after him hard this offseason.

It's amazing what a little hit to the pocketbook will do.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    It's amazing what a little hit to the pocketbook will do.
    Many are wondering if they will have the cash to go after someone like Prosser, some say no.

Retired

ESPN had a sit down interview with Huggs about the situation, it shows a side of him you don't get to see very often. Honestly, it makes me even more depressed he's gone.

They have a clip on their website, the full interview is supposed to be on SportsCenter tonight. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/index It's on the motion video section.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    One Juicy Rumor:
    George Dohrmann, SI.com
    I heard a lot of speculation about where O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker will attend college, none of it from informed sources, but there was one rumor so juicy it stood out. Bob Huggins was said to have the inside track on O.J. and Bill (they have said they will go to college together) before he was fired at Cincinnati. As has been reported, he continues to speak with the boys even though he is not recruiting them to a specific school. If he has any sway over them (and some speculate that he was the one who convinced O.J. and Bill's AAU coach to move them closer to Cincinnati) then he could use that as leverage in getting a new job.Which school would appeal to Huggins as well as the boys?"How about Marshall?" speculated one person who said he has spoken to Huggins. "Huggins is from West Virginia and so are O.J. and Bill."Current Marshall coach Ron Jirsa is entering only his second season and certainly deserves more time to turn around the program. But would Marshall dump him at the chance to grab Huggins with the understanding that, after one season, he would bring O.J. and Bill back home to Huntington? I hope not, as it would be a disservice to Jirsa, but if Huggins can indeed deliver O.J. and Bill, it will be interesting to see what schools line up to hire him.
    Here is what scout.com has to say.

The number one guard in the class of 2007, O.J. Mayo, said that UConn and Louisville are his top two schools. Mayo, of North College Hills HS, also mentioned Texas, Ohio State, Illinois, Florida State, and Oklahoma State.
    Mayo, who plays for the D-I Greyhounds on the AAU circuit, put up 29 points on 9-of-25 shooting against Tyreke Evans at the Southern Invitational on Saturday.
    Bill Walker of Cincinnati (Oh.) North College Hill followed up teammate OJ Mayo’s list on Wednesday with one of his own.
    “Florida A&M, U-Conn, Syracuse, UC (Cincinnati), and West Virginia,” Walker said. “That’s my list.”

Ohio State was not on the list as he said he did not wish to play for the Buckeyes.

“Nope, Florida A&M, U-Conn, Syracuse, UC, and West Virginia. That’s who I’m looking at,” he affirmed once more.
    Keenan Ellis, a 6-foot-9 junior from Kentucky who also spent time in Indianapolis before moving to play at North College Hill in Ohio, told Scout.com that he is favoring Kentucky and Indiana - but he's also looking at Louisville and Florida A&M.
    Don't be surprised if Ellis sticks with O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker in college.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    I cannot imagine for one second Mayo and Walker going to Marshall. Just can't see it.
    Nobody ever thought they would end up at North College Hill or Rose Hill either. A larger school like Moeller or Ashland would have been the more logical choice.

It wouldnt suprise me for the fact that it would put Marshall on the map similar to what these two did at the two schools mentioned above.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Please, OJ, go to Oklahoma State.

OJ plus the number three recruiting class in the country last year would make Ok St. one of the favorites to win the National Championship next season.

UK UK UK; maybe Tubby could hire Huggy-bear as an assistant?

LOL, that would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    UK UK UK; maybe Tubby could hire Huggy-bear as an assistant?

LOL, that would be sweet.
    UK is most likely in the lead for Keenan Ellis, if that means anything.

I'm going to the Vet Saturday after next to watch the NCH-Wellston game. It will most likely be a blowout, but after the dunking exhibition against Parkersburg South last year, I cant pass it up.

Turn Off Ads?