Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brewers Bringing Back Ball-In-Glove Uniforms In 2006

Brewers Bringing Back Ball-In-Glove Uniforms In 2006

Now if they can just play like it's 1982, they'll be in business. I find a couple of things interesting about this. One, I think this is the first time a team has worn retro uniforms on a regular basis and also, I would think it's the first time a team has two different color schemes for their uniforms. The current sets are navy and metallic gold while these are royal and yellow gold.

Brewers to turn back clock on Sundays
    12/01/2005 8:15 PM ET
    By Adam McCalvy / MLB.com

MILWAUKEE -- The Brewers and their fans will turn back the clock every Sunday at Miller Park next season. The team has unveiled "new" uniforms for Sunday home games which, as expected, are recreations of the team's garb from 1978-1993. Blue pinstripes adorn the white jerseys and pants, "BREWERS" is stitched across the chest and the caps feature the popular "ball and glove" logo.

Hall of Famer Robin Yount, the first player enshrined into Cooperstown wearing that cap, helped unveil the new-old look as part of the "Brewers Winter Warm-Up" on Thursday night in the ballpark's .300 Club. Other participants included include Hall of Fame broadcaster Bob Uecker, manager Ned Yost, third base coach Dale Sveum, plus current players Bill Hall, Damian Miller, Lyle Overbay, Derrick Turnbow and Matt Wise and former Brewers Jerry Augustine, Jim Gantner, Larry Hisle and Gorman Thomas.

It's a look made famous by the power-hitting Brewers teams of the late 1970s and early 1980s featuring future Hall of Famers Yount (the team's new bench coach), Paul Molitor, Rollie Fingers and Don Sutton. The logo, a lowercase "m" and "b" arranged in the shape of a baseball glove, has remained popular in Milwaukee and in recent years has shown up in ballpark promotions.
    One of those promotions in 2005 was essentially served as a focus group. Fans entering Miller Park were offered a choice between two T-shirts, one with the team's current logo or one with the retro look. Old school won in a landslide.

"There is clearly a strong bond between the current fan base and the teams of the 1980s, and we believe that Sundays will bring a unique atmosphere to Miller Park," Brewers executive vice president of business operations Rick Schlesinger said.

The team hopes the fans will add to that atmosphere, dubbed "Retro Sundays." Music and entertainment from the era will be featured, and fans are encouraged to make their own fashion statements.

The team will host Brewers legends from the 1980s, who will participate in events such as autograph sessions and game broadcasts. Several of the Sunday games will also include fan promotional giveaways tailored to the era.

A special 20-game ticket package has been designed around "Retro Sundays." With the Retro Sunday Plus plan, fans receive tickets to each of the 13 Sunday afternoon home dates at Miller Park, as well as seven other games. Two of the dates in the package include all-fan giveaways.
    The Retro Sunday Plus ticket plan starts at just $160. For ticket information, please contact the Brewers ticket office at (414) 902-4100.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brewers Bringing Back Ball-In-Glove Uniforms In 2006

I hope they bring back Bernie Brewer's traditional slide into a giant mug of beer, too.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Top Ten greatest baseball logo. Ever.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Disagree completely. One of the worst looking unis and the logo is something a 10 year old would draw. Put it back into mothballs.

Rem

WAGS

i didn't even realize that the 'm' and 'b' did that.

clevar++ to whoever created it

They should look into bringing back this hirsute accessory as well.

I loved Rollie Fingers!, plus the ahem earlier version of Adam Dunn Gorman Thomas, heck even old Cecil Cooper and Ace mike Caldwell. But without a doubt I am a Huge Robin Yount fan he was a player.

I would have to say the best logo ever, was actually a brewers logo.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

I posted something on this here: http://www.redreporter.com/story/2005/12/2/65250/3885

I hate to self link, but I love the old logos. This is a great site for browsing logos of all sports:

http://www.logoserver.com/index.html
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    I posted something on this here: http://www.redreporter.com/story/2005/12/2/65250/3885

I hate to self link, but I love the old logos. This is a great site for browsing logos of all sports:

http://www.logoserver.com/index.html
    Thanks for the link...I decided to use one of the Japanese logos!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

And I'm sure it doesn't enter into the equation that the Brewer fans who remember that logo's era most fondly are the ones with the highest disposable income and a fondness for buying retro MLB merchandlse for themselves and their offspring. Really, I'm fairly positive about this.

Considering the team's long dry spell, is it any wonder that they want to do things that harken back to its only wet spell?

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Top Ten greatest baseball logo. Ever.
    $100 contest winner IIRC, that and season tickets.
    I would have to say the best logo ever, was actually a brewers logo.
    That is a good one, a rush job though.. when the Brewers fleeced Seattle for the Pilots it was almost the begining of the season and they needed some fast branding.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    That Cafeteros de Cordoba logo looks very like old-school Mr. Red! Rad!
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I bet they ditch the metallic gold and navy uniforms in the near future, and probably already would have, if "Miller" wasn't involved. The "M" on the caps looks "surprisingly" like the first letter on the beer packaging. Those are some ugly looking uniforms.

Hope Mr. Castellini doesn't have some crazy looking "C" that goes along with his produce company. Wouldn't surprise me if the new regime makes some changes in the Reds uniforms in the not too distant future, to mark the end of the old and put their own mark on the team.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Probably too late to do that for 2006, as MLB has to have notification in advance of any changes to the uniforms.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Turn Off Ads?