Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BA's Rule V Draft Preview (Reds)

BA's Rule V Draft Preview (Reds)

Kevin Howard was the first one named for what it's worth. I wonder how he projects in a National's uniform? The complete list can be found here.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2rulefive.html

Kevin Howard, 2b/3b, Reds

Howard has the biggest buzz coming into this year's draft after having a brilliant season in the Arizona Fall League. A fifth-round pick in 2002 out of Miami, Howard won the AFL batting title, hitting .409-3-16 in 88 at-bats. But perhaps his strongest asset was proving himself to be an adequate defender at third base. Howard played third in college, but played primarily second base since turning pro. He's a patient lefthanded hitter with a line-drive stroke, and has shown improved power. Some scouts in the AFL liked him better at third, and Howard could be solid at either spot making him the best overall position player available in the draft. Dan Uggla (Diamondbacks) is another utility player who dramatically upped his stock in the AFL, but Howard's lefthanded bat, which could be valuable off a big league bench, gives him the edge.

20 MORE WORTH A LOOK

Richie Gardner, rhp, Reds

Along with righthander Thomas Pauly, both are recovering from shoulder surgeries; Cincinnati thought the injuries were too much for teams to take a chance on
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BA's Rule V Draft Preview (Reds)

I cannot understand giving Howard away: which is what the Reds are doing by not protecting him.

Is it so important to have roster spots for Sardhina, Standridge and Valentine?

Sometimes you really have to scratch your head. . . .

I hate Dan O' Brien with a passion right now! Sardinha has proven time and time again that even in a best case scenario, he's only a back up guy. How are we that dumb?!

Let us that Howard is not picked
    Go Gators!

Howard doesn't play 2nd well and he will be 26 this season. Though I think he could be a late developing bench player.

I think he probably likes Bergolla better. I really can see DanO not liking Howard that much. Isn't his type. He is as good as gone, some other team will snatch him up.

Are you allowed to trade unprotected players before the rule 5 draft? We might select some other teams players in the minor league portion of the draft.

Howard is onyl 24 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    I cannot understand giving Howard away: which is what the Reds are doing by not protecting him.

Is it so important to have roster spots for Sardhina, Standridge and Valentine?

Sometimes you really have to scratch your head. . . .

DanO has done some strange things but to me this might be the strangest. Why keep Standridge on the 40 or the other 2? Is there really a big line of teams looking for guys like them?

Note: I think this proves that Pauly and Gardner's injuries really are serious and they ain't coming back this year...
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

The 40 is packed full of guys I'd love to see gone.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Howard doesn't play 2nd well and he will be 26 this season. Though I think he could be a late developing bench player.

I think he probably likes Bergolla better. I really can see DanO not liking Howard that much. Isn't his type. He is as good as gone, some other team will snatch him up.
    Kevin C. Howard

Position: 2B

Born: June 25, 1981
    Not sure why you a so strongly set on defending O'Brien.

If there is buzz about a kid like Howard, they have trade value. Why is this so hard to see. Giving away stuff for free that has value in the market is asinine. I could honestly care less who O'brien likes better between the two. When he talks to other teams they ought to be the next coming of Joe Morgan.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude
    Howard is onyl 24 I think.

Howard was born 6/25/1981

DanO was too busy figuring out how to re-acquire Romano and Machado to protect Howard.

Our 40 man roster is packed with fodder. There is no excuse for not protecting Howard.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

For the second straight year, I'm going to advocate the Reds select 2B/3B Jake Gautreau from the Cleveland Indians organizations.

Not particularly because I think he's going to ever be anything special at this point (unfortuantely), but because I gotta rep for Tulane University baseball.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Guys like Standridge and Sardihna have no value at all. Teams could take a Gardner or Pauly and stash them on IR for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    The 40 is packed full of guys I'd love to see gone.
    Testify!

Makes all the routine posts.

Turn Off Ads?