Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BA's Rule V Draft Preview (Reds)

Re: BA's Rule V Draft Preview (Reds)

Why are people so upset about us losing Howard?

C'mon, with the glut of second basemen we've got beating down the door throughout the upper minors, how could we ever need Howard?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Howard seems to have a bat something Olemdo and Bergolla don't.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3
    Howard was born 6/25/1981
    Good lord he's younger then me
    Go Gators!

(Definitely being sarcastic; IMO, leaving Howard unprotected to protect some of the other detritus currently littering the 40-man might just crack DanO's Ten-Worst moves since becoming GM... hmmm, maybe top 15)

That would make a great thread! Dan O's Bottom 15.

I'm gonna shed small bit of light on why Kevin Howard hasn't been protected. In his last 3 years in the minors, playing 2nd base he has had 19, 25, and 24 errors. Those numbers are hardly accepted at SS. We need pitching, and good defense helps pitching. If we have a slight lack of offense at 2b when bergolla or olmedo play 2b, atleast they can defend. Playing 2nd base in the major league will be different than the minors too, and he will play more games. He just isn't made to be a good infielder.

Not saying I exactly agree with the move to not protect him, but this is a very large reason, I am sure. For all of you talking about how bad we need pitching, I'm surprised you haven't noted this stat. Good defense is VERY important to helping pitchers. Errors at 2nd base are almost unnacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I'm gonna shed small bit of light on why Kevin Howard hasn't been protected. In his last 3 years in the minors, playing 2nd base he has had 19, 25, and 24 errors. Those numbers are hardly accepted at SS. We need pitching, and good defense helps pitching. If we have a slight lack of offense at 2b when bergolla or olmedo play 2b, atleast they can defend. Playing 2nd base in the major league will be different than the minors too, and he will play more games. He just isn't made to be a good infielder.

Not saying I exactly agree with the move to not protect him, but this is a very large reason, I am sure. For all of you talking about how bad we need pitching, I'm surprised you haven't noted this stat. Good defense is VERY important to helping pitchers. Errors at 2nd base are almost unnacceptable.
    Most definitely. Bergolla is loved because he fields 2nd base well, Howard struggles at the position. They tried to force Bill the job last Summer and he couldn't deliver. I expect he will be given another chance.

Minor league errors can be misleading. They do not have Major League groundskeepers for one thing. That is really all beside the point anyway. Chances are other teams aren't going to be all that eager to accept Howard as a key throw in to a trade if he appears to have no value to his own org.

Do you think Encarnacion is a weak fielder?

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    Do you think Encarnacion is a weak fielder?
    Not sure if you were asking me, but no I don't. He struggles throwing the ball, but he has great hands. But 3rd base is 100% different than 2nd base.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    Not sure if you were asking me, but no I don't. He struggles throwing the ball, but he has great hands. But 3rd base is 100% different than 2nd base.
    indubitably.

Can we agree that Major League fields are better kept than Minor League fields as well?

And that minor league teammates are more likely to throw off-line balls your way, or to muff balls that you fire to them?
    Makes all the routine posts.

i thought the rule 5 draft was today but it looks like i'm wrong.....when is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper
    i thought the rule 5 draft was today but it looks like i'm wrong.....when is it?

12/8/05. Thursday.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

But didn't Bergolla play in the minor leagues last year. I'm sure they didn't spruce up the ground just for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    But didn't Bergolla play in the minor leagues last year. I'm sure they didn't spruce up the ground just for him.
    yep. 13 errors in 98 AAA games. As a contrast, Encarnacion was good for 19 errors in 78 AAA games. Howard had 24 in 129 games in AA.

My main point was that errors, particularly minor league errors, are not a good measure of defensive ability. It might well be that Howard is quite deficient defensively. If the Reds treat him like a player with no value that's what he'll have.

Turn Off Ads?