Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Joey' Out on Thursdays; 'Earl' In

'Joey' Out on Thursdays; 'Earl' In

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2005-12-02/

In what appeared to be a less-than-friendly act, NBC is yanking Friends spin-off Joey from its Thursday-night lineup as part of a major revamp aimed at reviving the network's once invincible Must-See-TV comedy array. The network said Thursday that beginning Jan. 5, Joey will be replaced by Will & Grace. Four Kings, a new sitcom from Will & Grace creators David Kohan and Max Mutchnick, will follow at 8:30 p.m. The network will move My Name Is Earl, its only successful new entry of the season, into the key 9:00 p.m. timeslot, followed by The Office at 9:30 p.m. The network's long-running E.R. will remain in the 10:00 p.m. period. "Thursday night is what NBC is about," NBC Entertainment President Kevin Reilly told today's (Friday) New York Times. "This is just about going back to a comedy block." The new moves also bump Donald Trump's The Apprentice off the schedule, although Reilly told the Times that he expects it to return in the spring -- but probably not on Thursday nights. He also said that NBC will bring back the comedy Scrubs on Jan. 3 at 9:00 p.m., scheduling two original episodes back-to-back each week.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 'Joey' Out on Thursdays; 'Earl' In

They also say Joey won't be back till after the Olympics, that's a death kneel IMO

But hey..it lasted longer then some spin offs
    Go Gators!

I actually kinda liked "Joey". It was better than "Trapper John M.D."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I read somewhere that Matt LeBlanc's guaranteed 2-year contract of (I think the amount was) $2M an episode was the main reason that NBC kept the show on their schedule for this long. They didn't want to pay him and not get something out of that investment.

Sometimes the similarities between Hollywood and MLB are scary.

I actually like My Names Is Earl. It's got just the right touch of sarcasm to it that keeps it going. I think NBC knew it was going to do well, but I also think their expectations of it have obviously been exceeded.

The sooner all traces of the infernal "Friends" is removed from the airways, the better.

That chick on "Joey" is smoking hot, though.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

My Name Is Earl is a most excellent show, as is The Office - what i like about both shows are the intelligent/dumb humour and the lack of a soundtrack.
    for me, frankly, Joey was a very painful show to watch - though it did not match the pain AfterMASH caused.

and, yes, wheels, the lady playing Joey's sister is hot (too bad she got whacked in The Sopranos). on the other hand, there is the trainwreck playing his agent. i don't find her funny one bit.

I don't know if he was referring to the sister, or the neighbor, but give me the neighbor anyday. Not that the sister is bad at all, but I think the neighbor is all that and then some [or whatever the kids are saying these days]

I also love My Name is Earl, so I'm glad it's getting the push it deserves.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    The sooner all traces of the infernal "Friends" is removed from the airways, the better.
    I take it you don't have TBS or any local FOX, NBC, WB, or UPN affiliates.

Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit
    My Name Is Earl is a most excellent show, as is The Office - what i like about both shows are the intelligent/dumb humour and the lack of a soundtrack.
    for me, frankly, Joey was a very painful show to watch - though it did not match the pain AfterMASH caused.

and, yes, wheels, the lady playing Joey's sister is hot (too bad she got whacked in The Sopranos). on the other hand, there is the trainwreck playing his agent. i don't find her funny one bit.
    Awww, c'mon, the Adriana whacking is one of the top ten sopranos show moments. Unbelievably well-done and perfectly paced from informant to Cadillac ride out in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Post To Contact

Quote Originally Posted by wheels

That chick on "Joey" is smoking hot, though.
    Definitely agreed on erasing "Friends". As for smoking hot, you talking Drea De Matteo? I can dig... she's with Shooter Jennings too, Waylon's boy, I never woulda put them together in a million years.
    “[He] called me a ‘rapist’ and a ‘recluse.’ I’m not a recluse.” - Mike Tyson

Drea De Matteo was way too talented for that lousy sitcom.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit
    My Name Is Earl is a most excellent show, as is The Office.
    II love "The Office," too. It is the first new sitcom I have watched more than one episode of in over a decade.

That seems like as good an excuse as any for a useless trivia hijack: The audience for "The Office" has the highest average income of audiences for any current prime-time series. Even though the show has fairly low ratings, that audience-income statistic makes it highly desirable to advertisers,
    Last edited by Unassisted; 12-03-2005 at 06:39 PM.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Awww, c'mon, the Adriana whacking is one of the top ten sopranos show moments. Unbelievably well-done and perfectly paced from informant to Cadillac ride out in the country.
    Agreed.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    That seems like as good an excuse as any for a useless trivia hijack: The audience for "The Office" has the highest average income of audiences for any current prime-time series. Even though the show has fairly low ratings, that audience-income statistic makes it highly desirable to advertisers,
    That's fantastic info, I was quite concerned after looking at some ratings for the show awhile ago.

The Office is just fantastic though and as much as I enjoyed it last season, it has really taken shape this season. I really didn't have much faith in regards to the characters properly developing but they have proved me wrong this year. It's ranking right up there with Curb Your Enthusiasm and Arrested Development for me.

Turn Off Ads?