Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Another Computer Question (update)

Another Computer Question (update)

I posed this situation last month on here concerning the DVD player on my HP computer. It's a Sony writer that I bought and installed. Everything works fine on it except that I can't get any audio sound when I play a DVD on the computer. Regular music CDs and other functions that have audio play just fine. All my media players play fine. I've even tried to use several different media players playing DVDs to see if that may help. It hasn't.

I got an analog audio cable and installed it from the DVD player to the motherboard. HP sent me a schematic of the motherboard and where to hook it. I also checked the box in the properties for the DVD drive that states "enable digital CD audio from this CD-ROm device". I've actually tried it both ways (checked and unchecked), but it's still not working.

I have a CD-RW drive that came with the computer. I used the same IDE cable that goes to that drive with the DVD drive. The CD drive is set as the master, and the DVD drive is set as the slave.

And like I say, everything works fine but the audio on the DVD drive.

I've had one guy tell me that I should have the DVD drive on a separate IDE cable from the CD drive, and then set it up as a second master. But I've also had two other computer people say that has nothing to do with why I'm not getting audio and doesn't matter.

Question: Is there possibly something in my BIOS that needs changed? If so, then what?

Thanks for any assistance.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Another Computer Question (update)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I posed this situation last month on here concerning the DVD player on my HP computer. It's a Sony writer that I bought and installed. Everything works fine on it except that I can't get any audio sound when I play a DVD on the computer. Regular music CDs and other functions that have audio play just fine. All my media players play fine. I've even tried to use several different media players playing DVDs to see if that may help. It hasn't.

I got an analog audio cable and installed it from the DVD player to the motherboard. HP sent me a schematic of the motherboard and where to hook it. I also checked the box in the properties for the DVD drive that states "enable digital CD audio from this CD-ROm device". I've actually tried it both ways (checked and unchecked), but it's still not working.

I have a CD-RW drive that came with the computer. I used the same IDE cable that goes to that drive with the DVD drive. The CD drive is set as the master, and the DVD drive is set as the slave.

And like I say, everything works fine but the audio on the DVD drive.

I've had one guy tell me that I should have the DVD drive on a separate IDE cable from the CD drive, and then set it up as a second master. But I've also had two other computer people say that has nothing to do with why I'm not getting audio and doesn't matter.

Question: Is there possibly something in my BIOS that needs changed? If so, then what?

Thanks for any assistance.
    there is a little four pin connector on the back of your drive. To use it w/o that "enable digital cd audio" option you will need to get a cd cable that runs from that pin-out to your sound device.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    there is a little four pin connector on the back of your drive. To use it w/o that "enable digital cd audio" option you will need to get a cd cable that runs from that pin-out to your sound device.
    That 4 pin connector on the back of the drive is where I have it connected. From there it goes to the motherboard. My CD drive is plugged into the motherboard connector right next to it. That is why I'm wondering if I have to "activate" an option in my BIOS.

But my video card is an onboard integrated style that came with the computer (AC'97). It's not a card per say ochre. I am almost tempted to go out and buy a video card so that I can do that. But I don't want to if it's not necessary.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-03-2005 at 08:57 AM.

Here is a link to the motherboard specs for my computer....

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...en&lc=en&cc=us

If you look at the pic of the motherboard (figure 1), it is plugged into either JCD1 connector or the one next to it (JAUX1). The Cd drive is plugged into one, and the DVD into the other (but I can't remember which is which right now without re-opening the computer).

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    That 4 pin connector on the back of the drive is where I have it connected. From there it goes to the motherboard. My CD drive is plugged into the motherboard connector right next to it. That is why I'm wondering if I have to "activate" an option in my BIOS.

But my video card is an onboard integrated style that came with the computer (AC'97). It's not a card per say ochre. I am almost tempted to go out and buy a video card so that I can do that. But I don't want to if it's not necessary.
    Yes, AC97 audio is usually turned on or off in the BIOS. I was just starting at the beginning .

Yes, AC97 audio is usually turned on or off in the BIOS. I was just starting at the beginning .
    I know how to get into the BIOS, and have been there before; but how do I turn it on? Is it labelled as AC'97? And wouldn't it already have to be activated in order for other audio to work?

If you can help me out on this I'll add you to my Christmas list.

OK. I went into my BIOS and found the onboard audio. I went to AC97 and it was in "auto". I changed it to "enabled", but that still did not correct the problem <sigh>.

The black connector on the bottom (JCD1) is the CDAUDIO connector. If you have that plugged in, it should work, unless its turned off in the BIOS. BIOSes (BIOii?) vary greatly, so without being there, its difficult to say what the option would be called.

The black connector on the bottom (JCD1) is the CDAUDIO connector. If you have that plugged in, it should work, unless its turned off in the BIOS. BIOSes (BIOii?) vary greatly, so without being there, its difficult to say what the option would be called.
    OK. I opened up my computer and checked to verify where the DVD audio cable is connected. It's plugged into the JCD1 connector.

The only option that I see in the BIOS that deals with audio is the one in the list called "onboard audio". When I click on it it brings up AC97, which said "auto". I changed that to enabled and rebooted. Still have the problem.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

GAC,

You shouldn't need that analog cable at all. You used to need them when you wanted to listen to audio CD's from your pc's CD-ROM drive, but not anymore.

It sounds like a codec problem, and not knowing what players your using doesn't help me. If you haven't tried a program such as WinDVD or something along those lines, I would suggest you do.

Which players have you tried?
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

I just installed the Nero Showtime, which came with the Sony DVD drive. It works! Sounds great too!

I'm still wondering though why it won't work with the Windows Media Player and Real Player, because they both play DVDs. I get great video with them, but just no audio.

I've got WinDVD Creator, but I couldn't see where that included a player, so I downloaded a free trial of WinDVD7 to see what that is like.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-04-2005 at 04:55 AM.

Turn Off Ads?