Turn Off Ads?

Thread: UC v. Memphis

UC v. Memphis

I'm sure lots of interest in this game around here. Interestingly, Seth Davis picked UC... take that for what it's worth, but the guy is better than most other so-called 'experts' out there.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Re: UC v. Memphis

UC needs a boost right now (attendance is in the toilet), a Memphis win would provide that, but I just don't see it happening. UC has so many holes, and horrid defense, and Memphis is pretty soild. Seth Davis has been hot on Skip Prosser's heels for the last 2 weeks trying to get him to comment on the rumors he may take over next season, of course Skip won't comment.

Vandy isn't going to be a push over either.

Edit: If UC loses this game it will be the first time in 16 years have lost back to back home games.
    Last edited by Reds4Life; 12-03-2005 at 03:05 PM.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

This game is slipping away....

Don't look now, but the Cats looking good so far in the 2nd half!!!

Retired

The refs hate us, we can't buy a call right now.

Does 15 losses seem doable?
    Makes all the routine posts.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    Does 15 losses seem doable?
    UC played better than most, including myself, expected. Yes it's a loss, but Memphis is a great team. I was more disheartened by the Dayton loss than this one.

On the other hand, this is the first time in history UC has lost 2 games in a row at the Shoe. :thumbdown

They looked better than they did against Dayton, but this losing thing doesn't taste very good.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    They looked better than they did against Dayton, but this losing thing doesn't taste very good.
    They better not be on let down mode for Vandy, or they'll lose. Vandy isn't a cupcake.

No half-court offense, no ability to control the ball, inability to convert gimmes, unbelieveable number of turnovers, bad shot selection, not much success with set plays coming off timeouts, inability to adjust defensively, bad passing, emotions on their sleeves...

This looks like a young, panicy, erratic team to me. Playing for a first-time coach. I'll confess that this is the first time I've seen them play this year, so maybe I didn't get them at their best. Even so, they stunk. IMHO.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    No half-court offense, no ability to control the ball, inability to convert gimmes, unbelieveable number of turnovers, bad shot selection, not much success with set plays coming off timeouts, inability to adjust defensively, bad passing, emotions on their sleeves...

This looks like a young, panicy, erratic team to me. Playing for a first-time coach. I'll confess that this is the first time I've seen them play this year, so maybe I didn't get them at their best. Even so, they stunk. IMHO.
    This game was the best they've played all year. It's a bit much to say they stunk IMO, they were playing the #9 team in the nation and hung in there for as long as they could. Most were thinking they'd get lose by 30.

It most certainly isn’t a Huggins style team; the days of smothering defense and rebounding just aren’t there anymore. Ivan Johnson would have been a huge help in that sense, but he transferred when Huggins was fired.

Retired

Attendance was 9,440 today, about 4,000 less than the last time Memphis played here. Coudln't even draw 10k when playing a top 10 team on national TV.

Edit: The student section was chanting "Fire Nancy" in the closing seconds of the game as well.
    Last edited by Reds4Life; 12-03-2005 at 06:21 PM.

Retired

The AP story, things are going to get ugly for Zimpher.

By JOE KAY, AP Sports Writer
    December 3, 2005
    CINCINNATI (AP) -- Antonio Anderson and the rest of Memphis' freshman-laden lineup didn't know much about the Shoemaker Center's history until they practiced there on Saturday morning.

Coach John Calipari told them that Cincinnati would come out determined not to let history happen in its arena. Enlightened by the lesson, Anderson made it happen anyway.

The freshman guard emerged from his shooting slump by scoring 32 points, and No. 9 Memphis beat the Bearcats 91-81 on Saturday for a place in their basketball history.

Cincinnati had never lost back-to-back games in the 17-year history of its arena before Dayton and Memphis (6-1) beat them in a five-day span.

"That was our motivation coming in," Anderson said. "That's why I made the shots I did."

Anderson, who had made only 10 baskets all season and was shooting 34.5 percent from the field, went 11-of-15 in a breakout game. Shawne Williams added 19 points in a balanced fast-break attack -- four Tigers finished in double figures.

"After I hit the first two, I knew tonight was going to be my night," said Anderson, who hadn't scored more than eight points in any game. "I got hot and kept it going. I didn't think they'd leave me open in the second half, but they did and I kept on knocking them down."

And, for the first time, the Bearcats (3-2) went down twice in a row at home. They never did that during the last 16 years under coach Bob Huggins, who was ousted last August by school president Nancy Zimpher.

The crowd chanted "Fire Nancy!" in the closing seconds Saturday. There have been at least 3,000 empty seats for each home game in an arena that was full more often than not during Huggins' tenure.

"Nobody likes being the first of anything negative," said power forward Eric Hicks, who had 15 points and 14 rebounds. "The only thing we can do is keep on playing."

Calipari was booed during pregame introductions by another less-than-capacity crowd of 9,440. During the week, Calipari criticized Bearcats fans for deserting the program after Huggins' ouster.

Interim coach Andy Kennedy apologized to fans after the loss to Dayton, and refused to take any solace from playing a ranked team close.

"This is University of Cincinnati men's basketball," Kennedy said. "Not for one second will we take one step of moral victory out of this. Are you kidding me? We're not going there under my watch."

James White and Jihad Muhammad led Cincinnati with 17 points apiece, but the Bearcats couldn't overcome a season-high 20 turnovers and 37.9 percent shooting.

The Tigers' roster is very young and very deep, two traits on display throughout the game. Deep in foul trouble, the Tigers wound up with four freshmen on the floor late in the second half.

No matter. They topped 90 points for the fifth time in seven games.

"I think no team in the country can do what we just did out there," Anderson said. "We showed the city of Memphis and the nation what we're capable of."

Memphis tried to force things on offense in the opening minutes, hurrying shots and taking a lot of bad ones. The Tigers opened in a 4-for-13 shooting slump that got the crowd revved.

Determined to give a better showing after Dayton shoved them around, the Bearcats came out with more intensity. Muhammad's 3-pointer put them up 16-10, their biggest lead of the game.

That's when Memphis' depth started coming into play.

Darius Washington's 3-pointer started a 17-2 run that put the Tigers in their comfort zone. Five players scored during the run, which ended with a pair of 3's by Anderson that made it 30-18. Memphis held the Bearcats to one basket over the 6-minute, 32-second span.

Anderson scored 14 points in the first half, when Memphis led by as many as 13.

Cincinnati decided to run with Memphis at the start of the second half and got the better of the breakneck pace, putting together a 17-3 spurt that recharged the crowd. Muhammad hit a 3-pointer, a floating jumper and a pull-up jumper off an inbound pass that finished the run and put Cincinnati ahead 60-59.

Two of Memphis' inside threats -- Joey Dorsey and Kareem Cooper -- picked up their fourth fouls during Cincinnati's run. Calipari drew a technical foul for disputing Cooper's fifth -- a charge with Memphis up 72-70 -- and Dorsey fouled out 71 seconds later.

That's when Williams took control, hitting three consecutive baskets that helped Memphis pull ahead to stay 78-73.
    Last edited by Reds4Life; 12-03-2005 at 10:03 PM.

Turn Off Ads?