Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UC Baseball Stadium to be Named For Marge

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

UC Baseball Stadium to be Named For Marge

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....512020313/1016

UC stadium will be named for Schott
    Post staff report

Marge Schott's baseball legacy will live on, a few miles north of where her beloved Reds play.
    University of Cincinnati athletic officials said Thursday that UC's baseball stadium will be named in honor of Schott, the controversial former owner of the Reds who died in March 2004. The move came in response to a $2 million donation from the Marge and Charles J. Schott Foundation to the Richard E. Lindner Varsity Village project for upgrading UC's athletic facilities.

"The naming display will also include the phrase, 'The Lady Loved Baseball,' as a lasting memorial to her love for youth and baseball," said Bob Goin, who retired as UC's athletic director Thursday.

Varsity Village is a $100 million-plus upgrade of UC's athletic facilities. Part of the project involved the construction of the 3,300-seat stadium, which opened for play at the end of the 2004 season. It replaced the old Johnny Bench Field.

Schott, a longtime baseball fan, held controlling interest in the Reds from 1985 to 1999, when she was pushed to sell the team by Major League Baseball after a series of racial and ethnic slurs caused two suspensions.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: UC Baseball Stadium to be Named For Marge

'The Lady Loved Baseball,'
    And did her best to destroy it in town.

Marge Schott got rich when her husband died in his lovers arms, that's the foot that kicked in the door that led to her legacy.

I was going to go with:
    'The Lady Loved Baseball ... and Hitler.'
    or
    'The Lady Loved Baseball, St. Bernards, and her million dollar ******.'
    ****** = a pet name for Eric Davis that rhymes with 'bigger'.

why do i see a can of spraypaint in that display's future?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

So, let me get this straight...the fire Bob Huggins because he was tarnishing the University's reputation...

...and then they go name a BUILDING after someone who was a known racist, a total loon, a nazi-sympathizer and awful baseball owner?

What a great recruiting tool. Maybe, if they're lucky, they can get Dave Parker to throw out the first pitch.

Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Don't forget the fraudulent way she propped up her dealership's sales figures.

One wonders if the auctioneers will fling open her garage doors next month and reveal two dozen Bonnevilles, all belonging to "Bo Diaz."

Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    Don't forget the fraudulent way she propped up her dealership's sales figures.

One wonders if the auctioneers will fling open her garage doors next month and reveal two dozen Bonnevilles, all belonging to "Bo Diaz."

And some late check payments for the advertising her dealership received whne she locked out all the other dealers from advertising with the Reds.

Remember when BMW was going to gve E.D. a bmw to drive around town, just as a perk to push their sales?

Marge would have none of that and she worked a deal to give him a Vette instead... well the next season came around and during negotiations she tried to squeeze that into the contract as being a perk and therefore E.D. should take a little less cash.

Better the Bearcats then the Reds
    Go Gators!

I thought the baseball stadia at Clifton was named after Johnny Bench
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by That Article Up There
    Varsity Village is a $100 million-plus upgrade of UC's athletic facilities. Part of the project involved the construction of the 3,300-seat stadium, which opened for play at the end of the 2004 season. It replaced the old Johnny Bench Field.

Not denying anything stated above - and I was no Marge fan at all (believe me) - but if people's weaknesses/faults is going to be used as justification to not name buildings, stadiums, or monuments, after someone, or give any public recognition, while denying any of the good they did do within that local community, then they wouldn't exist at all.

"let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

I guess we should only recognize or pay tribute to perfect people.

Even with her faults and difficulties, Marge did do alot of good within the community as far as her public service and foundations. I have no problem with the community recognizing her in some way.

I guess they need to change the name on Pete Rose Way?
    Last edited by GAC; 12-03-2005 at 07:04 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    ...but if people's weaknesses/faults is going to be used as justification to not name buildings...
    The J. Edgar Hoover FBI Building.

Just sayin'.

I guess we should only recognize or pay tribute to perfect people.
    Nah... we save most places for those who leave large endowments.

Like Marge did.

I won't be holding my breath for the new downtown Larry Flynt Childrens Center.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Nah... we save most places for those who leave large endowments.

Like Marge did.

I won't be holding my breath for the new downtown Larry Flynt Childrens Center.
    Besides degrading woman...what local or community charities or foundations has Flynt ever started to the betterment of Cincinnati?

Image is everything. And I'd take Marge's image, regardless of how marred it may be, as compared to Flynt's. No comparison.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Image is everything.
    Sure is honey.

Turn Off Ads?