Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Top 40 Reds Prospects (Long)

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: My Top 40 Reds Prospects (Long)

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    I think that there are four prospects (EdE, Gardner, Pauly and Votto) followed by a huge dropoff. A LOT depends on Bailey

Last year it looked like EdE, Wagner, Claussen, Pauly and good rumblings about Gardner, followed by a large dropoff. So not much has changed. Health was a blessing for once, but the draft was a problem. We also traded down (Reitsma, Jones, Lidle) but didn't get much help there.
    I realize that the Phillies' jerking around of him seemed to indicate a general lack of regard, but do a Google search on "philadelphia phillies elizardo ramirez prospect" and note the results.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    I realize that the Phillies' jerking around of him seemed to indicate a general lack of regard, but do a Google search on "philadelphia phillies elizardo ramirez prospect" and note the results.
    if google says it, then he's a prospect?

I didn't realize that all of your armchair GM nominations meant "Google Manager"

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    if google says it, then he's a prospect?

I didn't realize that all of your armchair GM nominations meant "Google Manager"
    Aw, point is just that Ramirez was in the Phillies' top 10 by general consensus. Not that the Philly media repeating " __(adjective)___ prospect Elizardo Ramirez" means much.

Seriously, sometimes it does- that's why I was joking about how deserved "Most Likely to Abuse TheBaseballCube.com" more than anything. I went to a state school, not the Ivy League.

I only saw three guys in the Phillies org as real prospects. Cincy has a couple of more, maybe, but I'm probably biased. At this point, I can't say that Ramirez is close to that level

doesn't mean that he won't make the majors. But I don't see him making much of an impact.

He's a number. But the nice thing about pitchers is that if you collect enough of them, then someone's bound to surprise you.

I'd agree with Princeton if you are talking about players with star potential. I'd argue though that Bailey and Syzmanski are still too early to predict - and have tremendous upsides. Several prospects could be solid contributors, though not likely to turn the Reds into a true contender by themselves. The problem lies in reading the projected arrivals - we're looking at 2007 before most of these guys might be meaningful factors on the big league level.

Yeah, the Phils have a couple of pitchers better than anyone the Reds have (Floyd, Hamels) and a monster slugger in Ryan Howard (who'll probably end up traded), but very little depth. They'll look good assuming those top guys don't blow up, but it's always better to have lots of options.

Does this list overrate Steve Kelly? He has good numbers but isn't on the 40 man roster and has never been touted as a real prospect. He is eligible for the Rule 5 draft, I think.

I would like to see the Reds keep him because of his minor league success. Does anyone have more thoughts on him?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    Does this list overrate Steve Kelly? He has good numbers but isn't on the 40 man roster and has never been touted as a real prospect. He is eligible for the Rule 5 draft, I think.

I would like to see the Reds keep him because of his minor league success. Does anyone have more thoughts on him?
    my thought is that I hope he makes the majors quickly, before Sowers, Childress and gm's wunderkind, Alan Moye

Excellent work RF. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    I
    12. SP Elizardo Ramirez - Age 22

This is what happens when you jerk around a prospect too much.

I'm not sure why the Phillies felt the need to bring him up to the big league club in 2004 as a 21 year old, but then again, it is Philadelphia we're talking about. They just gave a ton of money to Cory Lidle, which kind of says it all.

Ramirez isn't a power guy, but he has excellent command and has pitched very well at a high level for his age. He was recently added to the 40 man and will probably make an appearance with the Reds in the next two years, barring any difficulties. It's possible I've got him rated a little high since he doesn't strike out too many hitters, but I just love the command and the fact that he pitched well last season in AA as a 21 year old.

Not that I'm defending the Phillies front office (I don't like doing that), but they were in a bind when they called up Ramirez. When Billy Wagner was scheduled to come off the DL in late May, they had planned on sending Hancock down to AAA the day after one of his starts in order free up a spot for Wagner. However, at the last minute, they decided that Wagner wasn't ready to come off the DL, so they needed another reliever to fill that spot that Wagner was going to reclaim (a couple days earlier, they had sent down Geoff Geary to make a spot start in Scranton, and they would have had to wait 10 days to call him back up). Since they needed someone immediately, and couldn't wait for Wagner or Geary, they had to call up Ramirez, who was probably the most "major league ready" on their 40 man roster. I forget exactly the details involved in the promotion of Ramirez to the major league club, but it was done out of necessity due to Wagner not being ready to come back from an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    Not trying to be a pessimist, but do you remember Bobby Basham? He put up numbers that blew away anything Gardner posted, yet he currently resides on the 'suspect' list rather than a prospect list.

If Gardner can put up TWO good years in a row, then I'll get excited. Ditto for Pauly.
    The thing about Basham was that he didn't put up good College numbers. He was like 0-7 with a 6 plus era. The Red flag for me was that the Reds completely redid his mechanics and all of the sudden he was a pitching stud. Most of the time when teams overhaul a players mechanics they end up with arm problems. That is why know DanO has the minor leagues just let the kids pitch and only make slight adjustments to their mechanics if it is really needed.

Another player that you knew was going to have arm problems was Howington. In HS early in the year he was hitting 97 mph with his fast ball but by the end of the year before the draft he was lucky to hit 91 mph. He and his agent blamed tired arm. The Reds took him any ways and thought that the could put him on a strengthening program but like normal with you kids it didn't work.

The interesting thing about Pauley was that in HS his fastball was only about 83 mph. Then his 1st year of college it was 86-88 and his Soph. year it was 89-92 and then his Jr year he started hitting 95.

I don't know if it is true or not but in most cases they say if you are pitching in the mid 90's in HS you will be pitching in the upper 80's to low 90's by the time your 24.

Question on Steve Kelly. I know he grew up around Cincy so does any one have a scouting report on him? I thought when he was drafted I read he threw around 93-95 mph. I also thought he would have be the first in his draft for the Reds to make it to the Pros at that time.

Here is the scouting report on Kelly when he was drafted in the 4th round. Btw, iirc he was also drafted 5th round out of HS-white sox I believe.

COMMENT: WHEN DOWN, FASTBALL FLASHES GOOD SINKING ACTION. SLURVE AND CURVEBALL HAVE TIGHT ROTATION. SINKING CHANGE COMPLEMENTS FASTBALL.

Redsmom

Your opinion on Brian Peterson? He was just invited to Big League Camp!!

Do we have another Player Relative in the house? If so, welcome! The numbers are increasing.

The Southern League managers rated Peterson the best defensive catcher in their AA league. Certainly that bodes well for him given that defensive abilities are what carries a catcher. He also had a breakout year with the bat. I guess that some might question it given his age but it takes time for catchers to develop offensively given the demands of their catching duties. He seemed to carry that into the AFL and if does so in AAA, he should have a good shot imo particularly with Larue becoming more expensive. Good luck to him.

Turn Off Ads?