Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Game thread: Bengals and Steelers - part deux

Re: Game thread: Bengals and Steelers - part deux

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    If by that you are referring to the penalty assessed against Odell Thurman, I didn't see the game live, but I have seen video of the play. From the angle I saw it, it looked not only like Thurman was tripped, but it looks like a Steelers OL intentionally threw his leg out to trip Thurman. If that's the case, you might want to direct the anger towards the idiot lineman who could have not only injured Thurman, but injured his own QB as well.
    I saw the replay as well. Thurman was tripped into Big Ben.

The steelers fans can gripe all they want. It doesn't change the scoreboard.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread
    The Bengals have really shown up this year, they play with great verve and energy, however there are a lot of examples of vain and self-centered behavior like this:
    "Not surprisingly, Johnson conducted a virtual filibuster after the game and, as he had in the days preceding the contest, donned a Terrible Towel as a bib. And the loquacious wide receiver wasn't the only talkative player in a Cincinnati locker room where players were clearly long on bravado."
    and the completely dangerous and cheap low late hit vrs. Roethlisberger, and finally, after a Bengals first down, the immortal NFL great Perry spiked the ball right at the Steelers bench. These examples lead me to believe that their energy and self-confidence come from ego and vanity, which are temporary, rather than belief in their team, which is the path to championships. That would be a shame, because they have enough talent to beat anyone this year.
    It wasn't Perry that spiked the ball at the bench. It was Henry.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Nor, IMHO, should you be impressed. Pitt has been playing awful football lately. Offensively, they have one WR, can't figure out who to play at RB, and a QB with a bum hand hand and the Steelers still grabbed 474 meaningful yards today (i.e. no blowout "garbage-time" yards). Their Offensive Tackles are awful and the Bengals' long kickoff return (which was nothing but the return guy running to the sideline and down the field) was NOT a surprise considering that Pitt can't cover kicks for anything. Defensively, they haven't met a drive they really want to stop or a third down distance they can't allow the opponent to get. The very idea that Pitt could get themselves into a position to drive for a tie was almost inconceivable. If the aforementioned Pitt O-Tackles hadn't single-handedly imploded that last drive, I have little doubt that we'd have seen overtime. But even THAT was predictable because you can always count on the Steelers to shoot themselves right in the foot at the most inopportune of times (they're not a good fundamental team).

The Bengals did some things really well today. But they did other things poorly enough that it should make anyone worry how they'd match up against a good team while said good team is healthy and playing good football. Today, Pittsburgh wasn't and didn't.
    The Bengals O-Coordinator goes into weirdo mode when he's playing with a lead. Check last weeks game against Baltimore. I think Palmer got a bit nervous after he almost threw another one to his buddy Troy. Their Offense is best when they are behind. The Bengals D is just plain bad, but they are getting to a point now where the turnovers are no longer a fluke. They trade yards for turnovers. I don't like it, but that's what they do.

Ohalate is my own personal Reggie Taylor/Rich Aurilia/Eric Milton/Bob Boone rolled up into one defensive back. I loathe him.

(which was nothing but the return guy running to the sideline and down the field)
    Tab Perry dragged a guy 25 yards, and you want to say he didn't do anything to earn the return? Dude, I respect the hell out of you, but whatever.

Great game, huge moment. I've watched probably 90-95 percent of all the Bengals games in the last 15 years, I was only 9 in 1990, and thus I can easily say that today is the best I've ever felt about being a Bengals fan.

This is a young team, and today was the changing of the guard. Thank God for Marvin Lewis coming to Cincinnati.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    Tab Perry dragged a guy 25 yards, and you want to say he didn't do anything to earn the return? Dude, I respect the hell out of you, but whatever.

Great game, huge moment. I've watched probably 90-95 percent of all the Bengals games in the last 15 years, I was only 9 in 1990, and thus I can easily say that today is the best I've ever felt about being a Bengals fan.

This is a young team, and today was the changing of the guard. Thank God for Marvin Lewis coming to Cincinnati.
    I agree. I love reading your posts Steel, but that remark makes me think there is some serious Bengals hate going on.

Regardless, I don't really care. Cincinnati is going to be in the playoffs for the first time in 15 years. I can't express how happy I am right now. We Bengal fans have taken a lot of abuse over the last decade and a half, now it's our turn to crow.

WHO-DEY!

It's a great time to be a Bengal fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    If by that you are referring to the penalty assessed against Odell Thurman, I didn't see the game live, but I have seen video of the play. From the angle I saw it, it looked not only like Thurman was tripped, but it looks like a Steelers OL intentionally threw his leg out to trip Thurman. If that's the case, you might want to direct the anger towards the idiot lineman who could have not only injured Thurman, but injured his own QB as well.
    That's how I saw it as well.
    The Bengals obviously are good enough to defeat anybody, but also have enough holes on defense to make it unlikely that they can have a long playoff run. They are probably a year or two away from a serious Super Bowl run; give Marvin Lewis time to construct a defense and the Bengals may truly be a monster.
    By the way, Marvin couldn't provide the Reds with some advice, could he?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

The Steelers are NOT the same team they were this time last year, by any stretch, but that's beside the point. You play the team on the field, not the one from last year or the week before. Winning on the road in the NFL is tough and the Bengals have done a good job of it this year. They are not an elite team yet and I really didn't expect them to win the division this year (did anyone?), but they can play with anyone and have thus far given the NFL best Colts their toughest game. I am pretty well convinced that this team is for real.
    What will it take to get into the elite realm? The 'gals are a big Tackle and a couple of quality safeties away from being a Superbowl team.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Sundeck see my draft thread

For a Level Playing Field

WHODEY, WHODEY, WHODEY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc
    The Bengals also should get some credit for coming up with the 4 turnovers.
    The INTs - yes. But not the fumbles. The Bengals had nothing to do with Parker and Duece having butterfingers.

I'm not trying to rake anything at all from the Bengals or their victory. But just emphasizing that the Steelers, simply from watching the game, fumbled and bumbled this game, and yet still were in it until the end.

Pittsburgh is 18-2 with Roethlisberger at QB, and Cincinnati went into Heniz, and won. I don't see how anyone could not be impressed with the Bengals today.
    I'm glad as all get out they won. A win is a win. But I have this feeling in the back of my mind, regardless of how good they are offensively, that their defense is gonna sink them in the post-season.... and I hope not. They remind me of the Colts 2-3 years ago, who had an awesome offense, but couldn't stop anyone.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

They remind me of the Colts 2-3 years ago, who had an awesome offense, but couldn't stop anyone.
    They remind me of the '99 Rams.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I don't think any Bengal fan has any misconception about the defense.

What we're happy about is the fact that they're 9-3.

Explain it away all you want, and then try to it explain it away when they win the division. I couldn't care less.

Are they gonna go deep into the playoffs?

Maybe.

What if they win a shootout or two in the playoffs? Will it be worth less than any other playoff win?

I really don't care if they get bounced in the first round. They're a work in progress, and they're the first team that I've rooted for that has had a winning record in six years. There's no way I can be dissappointed now, and there's no way that any of the naysayers can understand that because because none of you have had to endure fifteen years of losing football like most Bengals fans have.

I'm sorry that your world has been turned upside down now that the Bengals are winning, but you'd better get used to it. They aren't going anywhere for awhile.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful

You know what really sucks about that last playoff game?

I didn't even get to watch it. I had to work.

If I had known that it would be my last chance to see playoff football for fifteen years, I would have called off.

Thank God for Marvin Lewis is right.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    You know what really sucks about that last playoff game?

I didn't even get to watch it. I had to work.

If I had known that it would be my last chance to see playoff football for fifteen years, I would have called off.

Thank God for Marvin Lewis is right.
    I was in England for the first day. I was there for a British Military language school (Arabic). We literally stepped off the plane that afternoon. I ran into a dude I knew at DLI when I was learning German. We decided we were going to find a place to watch that game.

We were in Beaconsfield. A pretty rural area west of London. The British enlisted club had no ability to show the playoff games (they'd show the Giants-Bills superbowl a few weeks later though). So we asked around. We found out that there was an American Air Force installation in High Wycombe a short distance away. We got directions to the train station and headed over there. We ended up finding the place. Found the club on base and headed in. No luck. They weren't showing the playoff games. So we asked around some more. Turns out there's an American Naval facility in West Ruislip a few towns east of where we were. Back to the train station we went.

(interesting sidebar: British do not refer to 'restrooms' as 'restrooms'; my friend asked one of the few people we saw, it was Sunday evening and traffic was light, where the restroom was. They were befuddled and asked if he was tired).

So we make it to West Ruislip. We look around, but again can not find a place that will have the game on. We finally find somebody that knows for sure where the game will be shown. The US Naval Embassy, downtown London. Back to the train station.

We had asked about how to find the Naval Embassy from the person we talked to in West Ruislip. I don't remember having a particularly difficult time finding it. We showed our ID cards and they let us in without any hassle. The game was on in what I remember being a basement cafeteria. The game was blah. I don't remember the specifics of it much, but just a general frustration with the performance that day.

After the game we went back out and wandered around London for a bit. We headed down to the tube station and were quite surprised to find that they were closed for the night (seems is was around 1AM London time). Well. That's going to be a problem. Maybe the trains are still running? Nope. No luck there either. Classes start at 8 AM. We are, apparently stranded in London. No "chain of command" as there are just 20 American students (no officers) and an as yet unknown British military "way" of doing things. We ended up, after carefully considering our options, hailing a taxi and paying the $100 bucks or so in fares back to Beaconsfield. We were a bit concerned that we would get in serious trouble if we didn't make it back.

Maybe I'm the Bengals goat. Maybe they'll never make the playoffs until I make it back to that Naval Embassy. I'm taking donations.

Turn Off Ads?