Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Game thread: Bengals and Steelers - part deux

Re: Game thread: Bengals and Steelers - part deux

The INTs - yes. But not the fumbles. The Bengals had nothing to do with Parker and Duece having butterfingers.
    Deuce's fumble was pure luck, but weren't both of Parker's fumbles caused by hits? I remember the first fumble being forced, and Pitt was lucky enough to fall on it. I can't remember the second one, though.

BTW - I don't know if you folks knew this, but Ben Roethlisberger was playing with a hurt thumb. Yep, it's true! The announcers even mentioned it once or twice.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 12-05-2005 at 09:55 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Deuce's fumble was pure luck, but weren't both of Parker's fumbles caused by hits? I remember the first fumble being forced, and Pitt was lucky enough to fall on it. I can't remember the second one, though.

I did love the announcers talking endlessly about how amazing it was that Big Ben was out there playing with a hurt thumb. Of course, no mention of how that hurt thumb helped him throw all those interceptions.
    And none of those fumbles resulted in a TO. The fumble TO was Ward's. Parker's second fumble was a helmet on ball collision.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

BTW - I don't know if you folks knew this, but Ben Roethlisberger was playing with a hurt thumb. Yep, it's true! The announcers even mentioned it once or twice.
    Are you sure? How could I have missed that?

We were having my baby girl's first b-day party during the game yesterday, and there is a quote of me running the video camera saying "quit slobbering all over Rothelsberger. You'd think a player had never played hurt before." All he did was prove that one can complete a lot of passes shotputting the ball to wide open receivers, but that the technique didn't work real well when a real pass was necessary, like when linebackers were in their zones.

I also think Cowher made a tactical mistake. I think of the analogy of basketball when you are playing a fast break oriented team, you don't want to try to run with them. You might make for an interesting game, but if that is not the normal type of game you play, it is highly unlikely that you will come out on top. To be at home and let the other team dictate the tempo seemed to be a serious game planning error by Cowher.

But then, in fairness, the turnovers and Bengals' scoring efficiency may have dictated the tempo more than the Steelers trying to keep pace.
    Last edited by traderumor; 12-05-2005 at 10:33 AM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

As for the alleged cheap shot on Odell, the "Angry Ref" thinks that he is the enforcer. Odell made a dive in an attempt to sack the QB, who had just released the football. It was a normal hit in the course of a football game. This is tackle football, not powder puff league. The roughing call on the Steelers was a little lame also, although I understand the hands to the face is basically automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    You know what really sucks about that last playoff game?

I didn't even get to watch it. I had to work.

If I had known that it would be my last chance to see playoff football for fifteen years, I would have called off.

Thank God for Marvin Lewis is right.
    I started going to games in 1988 (at the ripe age of 7) and have been to a LOT of games over the years (even during the "lost decade"), including holding season tickets this year. And you know what sucks? I'm going to miss the first two rounds of their first playoff season in 15 years, including (likely) a home playoff game, as I'll be on vacation starting the morning of January 8th until the evening of January 15th.

The way I see it, the only thing that can change that is if they they play on Saturday January, 7th of wild card weekend, preferably at home. Does anyone know how it's determined who plays on that Saturday and who plays on Sunday (other than 2 AFC games and two NFC games each day)? Is it based on seeding, and if so, how does the schedule look?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    I started going to games in 1988 (at the ripe age of 7)
    Who else feels older just reading that little tidbit? I was in college that year.

I started going to games in 1988 (at the ripe age of 7)
    The last game I attended was the Ice Game in 1981.... I guess ya missed that one eh?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    The last game I attended was the Ice Game in 1981.... I guess ya missed that one eh?
    who knows, maybe that's where he got his start...

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    Who else feels older just reading that little tidbit? I was in college that year.
    I was a freshman in college playing ball when the Bengals went to their last SuperBowl, sophmore in school when they last went to the playoffs and lost to the Raiders on the road in 1990.

I am now 36 years old.

The last Bengals' winning record came when the internet was a foreign term, and was purely text based, and consisted of BBS's and used apps like "Gopher" to retrieve information.

Cassette Tapes were still the norm.
    Last edited by CrackerJack; 12-05-2005 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I missed that one, but was at #4192 (at age 4)...

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread
    The Bengals have really shown up this year, they play with great verve and energy, however there are a lot of examples of vain and self-centered behavior like this:
    "Not surprisingly, Johnson conducted a virtual filibuster after the game and, as he had in the days preceding the contest, donned a Terrible Towel as a bib. And the loquacious wide receiver wasn't the only talkative player in a Cincinnati locker room where players were clearly long on bravado."
    and the completely dangerous and cheap low late hit vrs. Roethlisberger, and finally, after a Bengals first down, the immortal NFL great Perry spiked the ball right at the Steelers bench. These examples lead me to believe that their energy and self-confidence come from ego and vanity, which are temporary, rather than belief in their team, which is the path to championships. That would be a shame, because they have enough talent to beat anyone this year.
    I have never gotten the impression Chad Johnson and Carson Palmer don't aspire to be great players for a long time to come. They have the work ethic, desire, competitive spirit and talent, among other Bengals' players, to be great for a long time.

And why is the in your face Ickey Shuffle celebration by Ward - totally classless btw - not mentioned?

That did nothing but piss off a lot of Bengals' and their fans and no doubt fired them up and led them to do such things, or added to it.

The Bengals' went up there and put it to Pittsburgh and didn't back down or show any signs of being meek or giving in - proud of what they did and glad Pitt got a taste of their own medicine for once.

As for Ward and his antics, he has no original material so he mocks others. He's lame, good player, but needs some fresh ideas for the end zone. Spent too much time in Pittsburgh, I guess, where they still haven't figured out how to get a decal on both sides of the helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    I was a freshman in college playing ball when the Bengals went to their last SuperBowl, sophmore in school when they last went to the playoffs and lost to the Raiders on the road in 1990.

I am now 36 years old.

The last Bengals' winning record came when the internet was a foreign term, and was purely text based, and consisted of BBS's and used apps like "Gopher" to retrieve information.

Cassette Tapes were still the norm.
    So you and I are the same age. I remember the BBSs. I had a 300 baud modem back in the late 80s and I can remember thinking that I had something fairly high tech. I remember one board boasting that they had a 1 meg hard drive. Now that's some massive storage space.

You could go into a record store and still find records. Most of the aisles were full of cassettes, with the LPs off to the side and a really small section with those new CDs.

I had a VCR that had a remote with a really long cord that plugged into the front of the machine.

I think I once paid about $10.00 for a blue seat at a Reds game.

And when San Francisco won the NFC championship so they could play the Bengals in the Super Bowl, I was so glad because I wanted payback from '81. I HATED San Fran back then, and the result of the '88 Super Bowl only cemented it. There is a part of me that still wishes they were playing well so that we could play them in another Super Bowl soon and have a chance for a payback.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    where they still haven't figured out how to get a decal on both sides of the helmet.
    There's a good reason for that. It helps them figure out how to put the helmets on. "Logo goes on the right."

Turn Off Ads?