Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You're Reggie Bush...

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

You're Reggie Bush...

Alright, I got into a debate with a friend of mine about this tonight (instead of studying corporate formations, which I should have)...

You're Reggie Bush. It's looking like you're a solid lock to be the Heisman winner. It's looking more and more like you're going to be the #1 overall draft pick (and, if not that, at least one of the top 3). You're being compared to Gayle Sayers as the greatest athlete at running back to come out of the draft in decades, possibly ever.

The only thing standing between you and a guaranteed $40+ million dollar payday is the National Championship game against Texas in January. You've already got one title under your belt from last year. You, quite literally, have nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing in this game (see: McGahee, Willis).

Big question: Do you find some reason to sit this one out? Develop a "ankle sprain" in practice the week leading up the game? Come down with a bad case of the flu the day or night prior? Do you tell Coach Carroll (privately) that you don't want to risk your financial future and your livelihood on a game that does nothing but underline an already stellar career?

Me? I'm not sure...but I think sitting this one out is a mighty tempting option. I'd be curious what others think.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: You're Reggie Bush...

Absoluelty not.

If you want to sit out a regular season game against a poor opponent, that's one thing.....but to sit out a National Championship game? No way. That sends a real bad message to NFL scouts....I'm about me, not the team.

No way in the world he would even consider sitting out.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Absoluelty not.

If you want to sit out a regular season game against a poor opponent, that's one thing.....but to sit out a National Championship game? No way. That sends a real bad message to NFL scouts....I'm about me, not the team.

No way in the world he would even consider sitting out.
    ^What they said.

My jaw just dropped. I can't believe anyone would consider it. No question in my mind. I suit up and give the Longhorns a spanking.

Not a chance.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

That has Leon written all over it.

Don't tempt fate, you choose not to play and you slip on the sideline and break a leg
    Go Gators!

If I am Reggie Bush, I play and gain 350 all-purpose yards and have my name written in the history books.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    If I am Reggie Bush, I play and gain 350 all-purpose yards and have my name written in the history books.
    Exactly. But even to participate in 2 years in a row in a national championship game must get any ballplayer excited, I don't care who you are.

Now way should Bush beg out of this game. While he does risk injury like everyone else who steps onto a football field, I think his chances of injury are significantly lower than almost anyone elses. From what I've seen of Reggie Bush, it seems to me that one of the reasons the guy is so effective is because he never takes a direct hit. He's so shifty and elusive that he either has to just be pushed out of bounds or tripped up by some defender who's only option is to throw their arms out in hopes of getting a piece of him. I'd say that the chances of him getting seriously injured are pretty low right now, at least until he has to go up against the big boys on Sundays.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

No way.

Reggie is a competitor and this will never even cross his mind. Matter of fact, he has stated that there is still a solid chance that he could return for his senior year. USC has something special going on...and the players obviously recognize that, i.e. Leinart staying for his senior year, LenDale White being quoted on Saturday as saying he will return next year.

Reggie is great and will show up to play, it will be interesting to see how he does against a team that actually knows how to tackle.

The problem I see is that if it is leaked that Bush sat out, then that also costs him, probably big. There would have to be a lot of concern if you were an NFL team and a player sat out of a championship. I would think that would drop him at least five to ten slots in the draft, and cost him quite a bit of money.

If Bush begged out he'd rank a few spots below Maurice Clarett on the character scale in the eyes of NFL people.

If I am Reggie Bush, I have insurance.

After the game, I'm going online to www.realtor.com/houston to check out my new "home".
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?