Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McCoy: Reds considering Kevin Millwood, but DanO gunshy on free agents

McCoy: Reds considering Kevin Millwood, but DanO gunshy on free agents

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport.../1205reds.html

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

DALLAS | There is no Eliot Ness on the 40-man Cincinnati Reds roster, no Untouchables.

General manager Dan O'Brien, not interested in trading any of his outfielders last July at the trade deadline, is now ready, willing and able to not only trade an outfielder or two, but anybody on the roster.

The price is pitching.

That's what O'Brien was looking for last December at the winter meetings in Anaheim and that's what he is looking for this year at the winter meetings that begin today in Dallas.

O'Brien was not able to land anything at the meetings last year, but used shovels, hoes and rakes to lay the groundwork for several transactions shortly after the meetings.

He traded for pitcher Ramon Ortiz. He signed pitchers Eric Milton, Kent Mercker, David Weathers and Ben Weber. He signed infielders Joe Randa and Rich Aurilia.

Only Milton, Weathers and Mercker remain and Milton, so far, is a $22.3 million bust. Randa was traded last July, Aurilia is a free agent and both Ortiz and Weber were let go.

O'Brien realizes he must do better this year so he will not place any of his players on a shelf and say, "Do not touch." That means Ken Griffey Jr. That means Sean Casey. That means Adam Dunn. That means anybody and everybody.

"We have several individuals we would prefer not to trade, but in our situation we have to keep an open mind. We need pitching and we cannot progress if we have untouchables," said O'Brien.

"Basically, we have been given permission to move forward on all fronts to improve our club," he said.

There are barriers, though.

O'Brien said the payroll will remain at the $60 million level. And there are eight important players eligible for salary arbitration, eight players due hefty raises — outfielders Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns and Wily Mo Pena, catchers Jason LaRue and Javier Valentin, infielders Felipe Lopez and Ryan Freel and pitcher Aaron Harang.

"We have included all our arbitration players in our payroll projection and are prepared to have them all on the ball club," O'Brien said.

That, though, would be at what the club feels each player is worth.

Players might have a higher opinion of their value and an arbitration panel could agree with them. That doesn't leave much cash for free agents, but O'Brien is nonplussed.

"We are involved in some free agent conversations, but it is a lean market and we have to be selective," he said.

O'Brien said the large contracts signed by relief pitchers Billy Wagner (Philadelphia to the New York Mets) and B.J. Ryan (Baltimore to Toronto) has a trickle down effect, pushing the cost for relief pitching to an all-time high.

So trades are more likely.

"There is a tremendous amount of interest in our position players and the our focal point on trading them would be on the pitching that would come our way," O'Brien said.

On The Most Likely To Go List, place outfielders Pena and Kearns at the top. But there could be others, if O'Brien believes Griffey or Dunn or Casey or anybody else will bring over-the-top pitching.

For example, Oakland is willing to trade Barry Zito for a power-hitting outfielder. Dunn? Kearns? Kearns and Pena?

Griffey, as a 10-and-5 player, must give his permission for a trade.

The club is talking about Cleveland free-agent pitcher Kevin Millwood, but so are richer teams and O'Brien is a bit gun shy after his marquee free agent signing last year.

Milton, was 8-15 with a 6.47 ERA (highest in club history for a starter with more than 30 starts) and gave up the most runs (141), most earned runs (134) and most home runs (40) in the National League.

"We just can't focus on alleviating our outfield surplus," O'Brien added. "There are a number of different scenarios available to us. We are looking at our best opportunities that will give us the best returns. We don't want to foreclose on any situation that might come up. We have to be flexible to improve our pitching."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: McCoy: Reds considering Kevin Millwood, but DanO gunshy on free agents

"We just can't focus on alleviating our outfield surplus," O'Brien added. "There are a number of different scenarios available to us. We are looking at our best opportunities that will give us the best returns. We don't want to foreclose on any situation that might come up. We have to be flexible to improve our pitching."
    For those who have given up on an O'Brien quotes, here's the executive summary.

We sucked pretty bad last year and need a lot of help. We only have one extra outfielder, and no one of them is likely to provide all the help our pitching staff needs.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Millwood is I believe the right guy to be targeting this offseason if you can't get Burnett. I understand OB being gunshy, but people make mistakes. Gotta get over it and move on.

Unless Millwood just didn't like his summer in Cleveland, which is certainly understandable , why would the Indians give the kind of coin they did to Paul Byrd when they probably could have gotten Millwood for similar money? Of course, the price had to have just gone up for Millwood with the signings so far.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut
    Millwood is I believe the right guy to be targeting this offseason if you can't get Burnett. I understand OB being gunshy, but people make mistakes. Gotta get over it and move on.
    Millwood was the right guy to be targeting ... last off-season. This year the market is absurd, the Reds need to sit the out the FA market until it loses it steam. There may be some better prices in the January/February time frame

Cruisin' for trouble

For example, Oakland is willing to trade Barry Zito for a power-hitting outfielder. Dunn? Kearns? Kearns and Pena?
    Interesting tidbit there. Per Lee Sinins...

According to the LA Daily News, the Dodgers and A's are talking about a Milton Bradley for Barry Zito trade.
    I don't see why a Kearns trade wouldn't work here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    Millwood was the right guy to be targeting ... last off-season. This year the market is absurd, the Reds need to sit the out the FA market until it loses it steam. There may be some better prices in the January/February time frame
    What he said.

I like Millwood, and wanted the Reds to go after him last year. But with the season he had last year (not to mention he lead the AL in ERA but didn't win a lot of games - Dan O will rightfully assume this means Millwood doesn't "know" how to win - and yes, this is sarcasm here) he is going to command some serious coin right now. If the Reds can wait it out and can get him for a reasonable amount in late Jan/early Feb thats what they need to do.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

No harm in targeting him. Find out his price tag, then make a decision.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

If he is gun shy because of the Milton debacle of '05 then he should just quit. End of story.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

According to the LA Daily News, the Dodgers and A's are talking about a Milton Bradley for Barry Zito trade.
    I have some Milton Bradley games at home. I'd be willing to part with them for a starting pitcher.

I have some Milton Bradley games at home. I'd be willing to part with them for a starting pitcher.
    Trouble.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Millwood had to "prove" himself last year after coming off several avareage years. now he's the reigning AL ERA champ. Scott Boras is his agent. i would be shocked to see Millwood get less than $10,000,000 a year.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Post To Contact

Millwood's gonna make a ton, but he, along with Jeff Weaver, are playing the waiting game on AJ Burnett. Matt Morris may be the only upper-level free agent pitcher in this class who will sign regardless of when Burnett does. The good news on Millwood is there is a surprisingly low amount of serious interest in him at the moment, and the teams most interested aren't necessarily playoff contenders from a year ago. It's SEA, DET, BAL, and SF I believe most interested in him, with CIN and KC even making a case for him. That will change soon, the other teams will likely come calling. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    No harm in targeting him. Find out his price tag, then make a decision.
    Boras is asking for a 5 year deal ... NEXT.

i'll pass on a 5 year deal on a pitcher... especially one with a history of arm problems. Maybe 3 years... he misses bats and is pretty good about the long ball....

oh wait? he doesnt pitch to contact? not a DanO guy

Turn Off Ads?