Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did Chad Bite Off More Than He Can Chew?

Re: Did Chad Bite Off More Than He Can Chew?

Manning threw 49 touchdowns last year so I would put forth he's still capable of putting up big numbers. He doesn't have to this year since he has a defense, so he doesn't have to score 40 every week to win. Carson Palmer has to try to score 40 every week since the Bengals D is the fifth-worse in the NFL, so he is out there chucking the ball around.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig
    Can't give credit to the Bengals for their slow start?
    If that was their only loss, sure. But considering the Bears lost to Cleveland the week after the Bengals game and Minnesota lost to Atlanta and barely beat Green Bay and started off 1-4 and Mike Tice was sure to be fired any day, ...

Both teams are rolling now but weren't early in the year IMO.

Bengals would still roll up both those teams, IMO.

Bears play a physical defense, but, IMO, a team like the Bengals is tailor-made to score on them, esp. when combined with the fact that the Bengals D thrives on turnovers, which a rookie QB is very likely to make.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Bengals would still roll up both those teams, IMO.

Bears play a physical defense, but, IMO, a team like the Bengals is tailor-made to score on them, esp. when combined with the fact that the Bengals D thrives on turnovers, which a rookie QB is very likely to make.
    Which is why they picked him off five times and blew them out in Soldier Field.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I'm with Chad. I want another shot at Indy.

The Bengals can beat the Colts.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    Careful FCB. That's probably how they lured you into being a Reds fan. "look we have this exciting dynamic unstoppable franchise. gO rEDz!". You're going to end up a Bengals and Reds fan and let me tell you from personal experience, that is the road, while perhaps less traveled, that opens up into a festering dungheap of heartbreak and frustration.

Having said that, Go Bengals!
    Honestly, when Louisville plays Kentucky and thereafter, I'm glued to college hoops. I lose all "interest" in football. The Cards are the best hot stove on earth. For a couple of weeks midseason, I sate my sports thirst on whatever interesting matchups occur in the NFL. But it never ropes me in fully--and I've really tried to get excited about it--I just can't.

The Reds had me roped in during my Oedipal stage--no going back. But I've been damn fortunate to see three world championships in my 39 years of life.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

As an old-timer Ohio fan (Reds, Buckeyes, Browns), the Bengals are like that annoying little puppy that nips at your ankles...and then it goes away...and then it comes back.

The Bengals have some serious upside. Its still the Bengals tho..

Not that the Brownies have been better mind you...that's a funk that's not wore off in 6 years.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    I'm with Chad. I want another shot at Indy.

The Bengals can beat the Colts.

First get by San Diego...then maybe Denver....or New England..

Then worry about the Colts. They'll still be there at the end.

BTW - Its Colts' destiny this year. Its' an NFL mandate.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I agree. I'm not one to look ahead, but I said after the Colts beat them a couple of weeks ago that I wanted this team to get another shot at them.

Obviously to do that, they have to take care of business
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 12-06-2005 at 06:36 PM.

The Browns have been irrelevant for thirty years. It will stay that way.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook
    Did you see the coverages the Steelers were using?
    That's not the point. He said NODODY can stop him.

Chad and his gigantic pie-hole were a major reason why Chris Henry, TJ Houshmandzadeh, and Reggie Kelly were open.
    No one is denying that. That is the obvious. And you don't think opposing teams also don't realize this - that dbl covering CJ is gonna leave other guys open? C'mon. It's not like CJ is pulling the wool over opposing team's defensive coordinator's eyes by making these statements.

But to come out and guarantee that their team is gonna WIN the Super Bowl this year is a pretty bold (and IMO, stupid) prediction, that not only reflects on CJ, but also the entire Bengals team.

The guy likes to run his mouth. I find that alot of the times, the stuff his says doesn't come true. It's a hit n miss thing with him.

Cincy should have an easy time this weekend with Cleveland. But I've noticed Chad hasn't come out and said much after what happened last year.

The Bengals have a talented enough team that they don't need Chad Johnson's mouth to lead them to victory. His hands - yes.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-06-2005 at 08:44 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC

No one is denying that. That is the obvious. And you don't think opposing teams also don't realize this - that dbl covering CJ is gonna leave other guys open? C'mon. It's not like CJ is pulling the wool over opposing team's defensive coordinator's eyes by making these statements.

But to come out and guarantee that their team is gonna be in the Super Bowl this year is a pretty bold (and IMO, stupid) prediction, that not only reflects on CJ, but also the entire Bengals team.

The guy likes to run his mouth. I find that alot of the times, the stuff his says doesn't come true. It's a hit n miss thing with him.

Cincy should have an easy time this weekend with Cleveland. But I've noticed Chad hasn't come out and said much after what happened last year.

The Bengals have a talented enough team that they don't need Chad Johnson's mouth to lead them to victory. His hands - yes.
    You might be mistaken if you don't think it affects the play of opposing db's and how they worry more about Chad because of wanting to show him up. Mental head games are a key part of football.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC

But to come out and guarantee that their team is gonna WIN the Super Bowl this year is a pretty bold (and IMO, stupid) prediction, that not only reflects on CJ, but also the entire Bengals team.

I don't think even Chad takes himself as seriously as fans of other teams do. It is pretty apparent that the team can handle his personality, and his little baby fits on the sideline have only shown up on one occasion this year that I can remember. And his antics have helped the Bengals get some national attention before winning took care of the rest. I love Chad Johnson and what he does for a Bengals franchise that had so many guys who were collecting a paycheck for over a decade. I think Marvin loves him too, and his opinion is the one that counts.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    You might be mistaken if you don't think it affects the play of opposing db's and how they worry more about Chad because of wanting to show him up. Mental head games are a key part of football.
    Sure -there's a mental aspect to the game. But DB's of any worth/talent know what that aspect of the game is all about and don't let it bother them, or get into their head. Especially when the same guy is coming out every week and saying the same thing over and over. It kinda wears thin IMO with the opposing DB's who start to laugh/shrug it off.

Johnson is a very talented receiver. I've stated that over and over. I just don't care much for any player, on either side of the ball (it's not about CJ pesonally) who loves to run their mouths and be the center of attention.

IMO, it all started with guys like Deion Sanders. Very talented -I just didn't care for his antics.

I really like TJ. Some would say that CJ has made TJ a better receiver. I say that can go both ways. When TJ wasn't in there (injured), it wasn't so easy going for Johnson. They need each other. And then there is Chris Henry.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I don't think even Chad takes himself as seriously as fans of other teams do.
    Hey! Is that a knock?

It is pretty apparent that the team can handle his personality
    Winning does that to fans and team members, and I have no problem with that one bit. Cincy has a solid team. But we really don't know what alot of the other players really think. The aren't gonna say much of anything as long as they are winning. But in the past Lewis has "sat on" Johnson for things he has said. But again - winning causes one to also take a 'blind eye" to it because you don't want to do anything that would upset the flow or the player in question. I get the impression that the other players and Lewis kinda walk a "fine line" with CJ because he is so volatile emotionally.

and his little baby fits on the sideline have only shown up on one occasion this year that I can remember.
    He has had more then one "sideline" incident. And then there were the statments after the Jacksonville game that were critical of Palmer not getting him the ball, and that "he wishes he wasn't so good".

And his antics have helped the Bengals get some national attention before winning took care of the rest.
    Why not give the credit to the Bengals as a whole (especially Marvin Lewis and the coaching staff), and the fact that they are 9-3, as the reason why they are geting national attention. Where would CJ be without the likes of a Carson Palmer, a good offensive line, Rudi Johnson, and co-receivers such as TJ and Henry.

That's why Bengal fans should be proud. Chad Johnson's mouth has added nothing to that success.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-06-2005 at 09:11 PM.

Turn Off Ads?