Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did Chad Bite Off More Than He Can Chew?

Did Chad Bite Off More Than He Can Chew?

Monday, December 5, 2005
    Johnson: We'll play Indy again ... and win

Enquirer staff reports

Chad Johnson said Monday he thinks the Bengals and Indianapolis will meet in the AFC Championship game, and that this time, the outcome will be different.

Asked about the Bengals defense by ESPN’s Dan Patrick, Johnson said he expects that unit to carry the Bengals to the Super Bowl.

“They’re going to carry us,” Johnson told Patrick. “They’re going to carry us, because we’re going to put up the points … we’re going to score 40 a game from here on out. We’re going to score 40 a game from here on out, and there is not another team that is going to shoot it out with us until we get to the AFC Championship game, and you already know who we’re going to be playing.”

Patrick responded: “You’re playing the Colts in Indy.”

“In Indy,” Johnson said. “And the second go-round, I guarantee we win.”

Johnson later told Patrick he had a feeling after the Bengals lost to the Colts 45-37 on Nov. 20 that the teams would meet again.

“That game (an AFC title game against the Colts) is going to be a shootout,” Johnson said.

“In order to beat em, we’re going to have to put up 40, if we want to be realistic about it. We will see Indianapolis again. I felt that way when we lost the first time … I could feel it: We’re going to have to play them again. And I think this next time I’m saying it’s going to be a better outcome in our favor.”

In the interview, Johnson also said he would vote for quarterback Carson Palmer as the NFL’s Most Valuable Player.

“I’d give it to Carson,” Johnson said. “To take this team from the bottom to the top, to where we are right now… it’s only his second year, and to have us in the position we’re in right now as our leader, I’d give it to Carson.”
    While I agree that it's going to be tough to stop the Bengals offense come playoff time, should he have said this? It's one thing to guarentee a victory against Houston in the regular season but to guarentee a trip to the Super Bowl? He's really going out on a limb here.

Believe me, I sure as heck hope he's right. But I'm alittle on the fence as to these comments.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Did Chad Bite Off More Than He Can Chew?

Let him have the attention. He wants to be the one that takes all the heat. In his own way, that's leadership. Not that I would do it, or even really agree with that type of behavior. He's seen what happens when he doesn't back his mouth up (Jacksonville), so he knows the consequences. I suppose where it will be decided, is how the Defense reacts. Of course, its a no lose situation for Johnson. Nobody really expects the Bengals to go far in the playoffs anyway. If they make it to the AFC finals I doubt anyone will mind too much one way or the other.

The bengals won't win a shoot out with the colts, Chad better find a D for his team first
    Go Gators!

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

At this point, I have no beef with what Chad Johnson says or does.

If he wants to put the heat on himself, that is fine with me, so long as he himself doesn't lose focus, or even worse cause a major distraction.

He said no one would stop him this past Sunday too. 5 receptions for 54 yds is not exactly tearing it up.

I think he's a manic depressive who simply likes the attention.

But when you look at their remaining schedule, saying they are going to score 40 pts a game doesn't take a Nostradamus to make that prediction.

But when it comes to facing Indy - saying what he said is simply locker room fodder for the other team. I'm sure Indy is amused with the likes of a Chad Johnson.

I hope his prediction comes true. I would love to see Cincy in the Super Bowl, while also seeing Indy faulter. Anything is possible.

But I'm also a realist.... and Cincy's defense is atrocious. And in a shootout with Indy, my money is on Manning over Palmer. That is not a knock on Carson. Its just that he not at the level of a Manning just yet.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    But when it comes to facing Indy - saying what he said is simply locker room fodder for the other team. I'm sure Indy is amused with the likes of a Chad Johnson.
    I stand by whatever coach it was that first said "If a player needs a quote on the bulletin board to get them fired up, they don't have a place on this team."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Chad runs off at the mouth, the other team double teams him all day to shut him down, and Housh has single coverage all day long. I'll take that.

I think Chad understands that more attention he draws, the more it helps the other recievers.

It's actually a pretty good ploy.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    I think Chad understands that more attention he draws, the more it helps the other recievers.

It's actually a pretty good ploy.
    Honestly, I don't think he thinks that much about it. He's having his fun and hamming it up on the big stage. If it works out that way, though, that's not a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    He said no one would stop him this past Sunday too. 5 receptions for 54 yds is not exactly tearing it up.

I think he's a manic depressive who simply likes the attention.

But when you look at their remaining schedule, saying they are going to score 40 pts a game doesn't take a Nostradamus to make that prediction.

I hope his prediction comes true. I would love to see Cincy in the Super Bowl, while also seeing Indy faulter. Anything is possible.

But I'm also a realist.... and Cincy's defense is atrocious. And in a shootout with Indy, my money is on Manning over Palmer. That is not a knock on Carson. Its just that he not at the level of a Manning just yet.
    Why? Same numbers and at least Carson has won a big game in his life. Peyton is not a better qb than Carson Palmer.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Why? Same numbers and at least Carson has won a big game in his life. Peyton is not a better qb than Carson Palmer.
    Carson Palmer is a good quarterback -- improving weekly. Peyton Manning is on another planet.

Manning does more each week on the field than any other QB. He reads defenses better, he adjusts plays at the line better, and he makes smarter decisions with the ball. The way he moves an offense up and down the field, calling out routes, shifting pass protections, audibling away from plays based on what he reads the defense as doing...it's all a thing of beauty to watch.

I don't see nearly the same level of refinement and sophistication in the way Palmer runs the Bengals offense. Maybe he gets there someday, but he is definately not there yet.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

It's all bogus honestly. They score because of his great line, his great play, his great running back, and his great WR's. Just ask Belichik or Marvin what his hand signals mean, they both say they are bogus. He relies on young defenses to get out of position because of his gestures and it's very smart. Carson is far and away above where Peyton was three years into the league and he has better numbers this year against a much better schedule. Arguing that either one is above the other is really sorta stupid anyway, they both are amazing.

Look at their stats this year and the schedules they have both played, then compare Carson and Peyton. If Peyton wins the arguement because of hand gestures than so be it.

Peyton and the Colts have had possibly the easiest schedule I could ever remember. Add in the misery of the pass defenses of the squads they have played and it's even more clear. The ONE good defense he went against (Jacksonville) he went 13-28 with no touchdowns and one interception at HOME. Carson went 22-33 with two touchdowns and no interceptions @ Jacksonville.
    Last edited by Cedric; 12-05-2005 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Carson Palmer is a good quarterback -- improving weekly. Peyton Manning is on another planet.

Manning does more each week on the field than any other QB. He reads defenses better, he adjusts plays at the line better, and he makes smarter decisions with the ball. The way he moves an offense up and down the field, calling out routes, shifting pass protections, audibling away from plays based on what he reads the defense as doing...it's all a thing of beauty to watch.

I don't see nearly the same level of refinement and sophistication in the way Palmer runs the Bengals offense. Maybe he gets there someday, but he is definately not there yet.
    I got to agree with Cedric. I'm not sure you can clearly put Peyton above Palmer. In fact, if I'm starting a franchise I would take Palmer #1 without hesitation. He's got special written all over him.

I love Peyton Manning and he's obviously a hall of fame type qb. But his game management at crucial times is lacking for the truly special qb's. Would Tom Brady in a million years audible to three running plays with 3:00 left in that Cincy game? Peyton does that in big games because sometimes he doesn't seem to realize the total big picture.

Chad runs off at the mouth, the other team double teams him all day to shut him down, and Housh has single coverage all day long. I'll take that.
    Exactly. Single coverage for TJ and Chris Henry, plus the safeties don't cheat up to stop the run.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?