Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rumor out of Chicago: Kearns to the Cubs?

Re: Rumor out of Chicago: Kearns to the Cubs?

OK just chirping in with my opinion but mitre and nolasco for kearns is a deal I would do. If it goes down archive my thoughts. It is a good deal for the Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Nay on Mitre.

Kearns doesn't have much value on the trade market, or so it seems.

He won't cost much money, so if they can get more for Pena, that's the avenue they should pursue.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

If that is the best we can get for Kearns, just keep him.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Outshined_One
    I've always felt that Mitre got a bad rap in Chicago. He was constantly the 6th/7th man pretty much during the duration of time he spent in Chicago. Typically, he'd only see limited spots of action, then either get tossed back to AAA or left to rot in an overcrowded bullpen to be used sporadically. He has shown his share of flashes, but I do not think he's ever been given a fair chance to crack the rotation and stay in it. Also, using him as a reliever is a hyuuuuuuuuuuuge mistake since his slider typically takes time to get warmed up. He got shellacked in relief appearances this year for a reason.

I think he could make a decent #3/#4 somewhere if given the opportunity.
    Mitre was put in the pen because he's got nothing BUT a slider (and an inconsistent one at that). It's the primary reason lefties crush him. If he becomes someone he isn't, he might have a shot at a #3/#4 for someone, but he's not that someone else. He's Sergio Mitre.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Mitre was put in the pen because he's got nothing BUT a slider (and an inconsistent one at that). It's the primary reason lefties crush him. If he becomes someone he isn't, he might have a shot at a #3/#4 for someone, but he's not that someone else. He's Sergio Mitre.
    Care to make a comment on Nolasco ? Mitre may not be great but I can name 4 pitchers on the staff i would rather have mitre than them.
    Last edited by Topcat; 12-05-2005 at 10:57 PM.

I am with the majority...if that's the best you can get...just keep him.

I wonder what it would take to get Greinke from KC...Kearns or Pena and ????

I still like Mitre. He had a bit of a rough year last year, but he's got a good low 90's sinker that led to a GB/FB ratio up over 3. He had a couple great starts last year too and would fit in nicely at GABP.

One Man Army

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    #1 - His primary pitch is a sinker, not a slider. His slider is the main breaking pitch he uses, but it's nowhere near the quality of his sinker (although it's a good pitch). His problem is that it typically takes him an inning or two before he gets his sinker going. Couple that with the fact that his change is at best a slightly above average pitch (and thus he doesn't always trust it) and you have a guy who is not cut out for middle relief.

#2 - As I mentioned, Dusty Baker has not made Mitre's life easy. He's been buried in middle relief. He would go days between relief appearances on a number of occasions. I feel that his numbers are more reflective of his performances in the minors than in the majors (save for a few games).

Speaking as some one who tracks and compiles minor league statistical information and scouting reports on the Cubs minor leagues, I really like what I see in Mitre. He's competitive, he owns a very good pitch in his sinker, and has a future as a #3 guy in the league if he more consistently trusts his change. Considering the ballpark the Reds play him, I'd have to imagine he would be quite welcome, given the fact that he doesn't give up many HRs.

This is all a moot point anyways if this report from Rotoworld is true...although the source is a bit questionable.

Austin Kearns - OF - Reds

Cubs GM Jim Hendry said today that he hasn't had any discussions with the Reds regarding one of the team's outfielders.
    There were radio rumors today about Austin Kearns being offered to the Cubs for Sergio Mitre and another pitcher. This makes it seem as though there were no truth to them. Dec. 5 - 11:16 pm et
    Source: cubs.mlb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Outshined_One
    Just thought I'd drop in with a bit of an update out of Chicago. George Ofman of WSCR the Score 670 reported that the Reds either offered or were seeking Cubs pitchers Sergio Mitre and Ricky Nolasco (AA minor leaguer) in a deal for Austin Kearns.

I'll follow this up by saying that Ofman is not the most respected of Cubs journalists out there, but that he has had his scoops from time to time.
    if we do anything near that trade for kearns, dan o should be banned from baseball. this guy has the absolute worst eye for talent. talent evaluator he is not. and this is not just in looking at players to potentially get. but ones he already has

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862
    This deal might not be to bad Mitre and Nolasco would at least be some pitching that we need.
    again with the getting something just to get it. you dont go out and get something just to get it. if there is no value, you pass.

kearns cant go down in value. only up. so if you cant get what you should for him now. you wait till you can

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat
    Care to make a comment on Nolasco ? Mitre may not be great but I can name 4 pitchers on the staff i would rather have mitre than them.
    yea, but you dont give up kearns for them. you seem to not care that we are giving something up. you compare mitre to players we have already. but getting mitre means giving up kearns. so you have to look at it. mitre or pitcher a on the reds and kearns. ill take option 2.

Post To Contact

Quote Originally Posted by RedsIn07
    Paging Big Donkey... Paging Big Donkey...
    First time I've checked on here since this story broke. From what I know, there has allegedly been talk between CIN and CHC, but I also got the Hendry bite with the denial of talks between the teams. Not to sound like a doubting Thomas, but you can take a whole lot of quotes this time of year with a grain of salt. Anyway, I'd say this deal probably came up, but I don't know if it went very far. From the standpoint of a Reds fan, I would hope the Reds shoot higher than Mitre as a principal in deal, but I am sure Cubs fans can say the same things about Kearns underachieving Reds fans can say about Mitre. Nolasco's not bad as the secondary guy. Anyway, as far as if a deal would happen, I am somewhere in the middle of two different reports (one saying it's "close" and one saying talks never happened). I would say talks have happened, but "nothing is imminent". How's that Dan-O speak for ya?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/cincin...eds/index.html
    Update: Kearns For Jerome Williams
    According to Bruce Levine of ESPN Radio 1000, the Austin Kearns trade talk has gotten serious and Jerome Williams, not Sergio Mitre, would be included in the deal.

This new incarnation of the deal seems more equitable. Unlike Mitre, Williams has had success in the Major Leagues in his career. He pitched 106 innings after being dealt to the Cubs for LaTroy Hawkins, posting a 3.91 ERA and 1.35 WHIP. Williams posted a spectacular 2.10 ERA in five September starts.

I hate dealing in the division but I think Williams would be a good addition overall for the Reds. In 106 innings for the Cubs he allowed 12 HR's and allowed an opponent's batting average of .253 which is great, but I'm a little concerned of his K/BB ratio of 59/44. I still say go for it.

no thank you! to me you have 4 types of players. not ready with great potential. ready with great potential. ready but no potential. and proven star. dan o seems to like that 3rd one. ready but no potential. he wants guys who can play right now but have no potential of getting better. just a bunch of hacks who are just good enough to play on a crap team like ours.

Turn Off Ads?