Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rumor out of Chicago: Kearns to the Cubs?

One Man Army

Rumor out of Chicago: Kearns to the Cubs?

Just thought I'd drop in with a bit of an update out of Chicago. George Ofman of WSCR the Score 670 reported that the Reds either offered or were seeking Cubs pitchers Sergio Mitre and Ricky Nolasco (AA minor leaguer) in a deal for Austin Kearns.

I'll follow this up by saying that Ofman is not the most respected of Cubs journalists out there, but that he has had his scoops from time to time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rumor out of Chicago: Kearns to the Cubs?

From what I've heard, there could be something to this.

It sounds like Casey/Kearns are the two names that have been discussed the most in recent discussions.

I'll leave it at that for now.

The Reds could do worse. Reynel Pinto still interests me, though. Might prefer him to Mitre.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Wow, I live in Chicago and haven't heard this one yet.

*flips on the score.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    The Reds could do worse.
    That sounds like a challenge. Kind of like, "all you can eat."
    Makes all the routine posts.

Paging Big Donkey... Paging Big Donkey...

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I would be dissapointed with that deal, then again I don't know that much about those players, and I still hope for what we saw before that fat retard sat on him.

I never understood the reds apparent fascination with Mitre. Nolasco is nice, but I dont know... I just feel that a 2-5 5.37ERA 1.41WHIP pitcher doesn't excite me. Even with Nolasco added. Hang on to Kearns, his value may be low.. so let him play and hopefully it rises.

I would be pretty unhappy if this went down.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    I would be dissapointed with that deal, then again I don't know that much about those players, and I still hope for what we saw before that fat retard sat on him.
    Here is what BA had to say about Nolasco:

7. RICKY NOLASCO, rhp Age: 23 B-T: R-R Ht: 6-2 Wt.: 200
    Drafted: HS—Rialto, Calif., 2001 (4th round) Signed by: Spider Jorgensen

Background: For years, Nolasco had been overshadowed by fellow 2001 Cubs draftees Mark Prior, Andy Sisco and Sergio Mitre, as well as several other young pitchers in the system. Nolasco previously was most notable for being included in a 2003 trade with the Rangers that Rafael Palmeiro vetoed. That all changed in 2005, when he was named Southern League pitcher of the year after leading the league in wins and strikeouts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strengths:
    Nolasco has above-average pitches with his low-90s fastball and his curveball, and he throws his changeup for strikes. Managers rated his command the best in the Southern League. He has a tremendous feel for pitching.
    Weaknesses:
    When Nolasco was sent to Triple-A before he was ready in 2004, he didn’t handle it well. He dropped down with his breaking ball, trying to aim it for strikes, and didn’t have the confidence to use his changeup.
    The Future:
    After spending most of the last two seasons in Double-A, Nolasco will get another shot at Triple-A in 2006. If he passes that test, he’ll get called up later in the year. The Cubs have a number of starting candidates, so he could wind up in the bullpen.

2005 Club (Class) W L ERA G GS CG SV IP H HR BB SO AVG
    West Tenn (AA) 14 3 2.89 27 27 1 0 162 151 13 46 173 .245
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    The Reds could do worse. Reynel Pinto still interests me, though. Might prefer him to Mitre.
    There are few real prospects I wouldn't prefer to Sergio Mitre. The guy is complete pyrite. Knowing that, the proposed value coming back is pretty isolated to Nolasco. That being the case, I wouldn't move on that trade at all.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

One Man Army

I've always felt that Mitre got a bad rap in Chicago. He was constantly the 6th/7th man pretty much during the duration of time he spent in Chicago. Typically, he'd only see limited spots of action, then either get tossed back to AAA or left to rot in an overcrowded bullpen to be used sporadically. He has shown his share of flashes, but I do not think he's ever been given a fair chance to crack the rotation and stay in it. Also, using him as a reliever is a hyuuuuuuuuuuuge mistake since his slider typically takes time to get warmed up. He got shellacked in relief appearances this year for a reason.

I think he could make a decent #3/#4 somewhere if given the opportunity.

This deal might not be to bad Mitre and Nolasco would at least be some pitching that we need.

SOund like a load of hooey. Cubbies dreamin again. Like last year around the trade dealine.

Freelin' it

My sources say this is a BS rumor, but we'll have to wait and see...

Pena for Nolasco and call it a day.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?