Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rumor out of Chicago: Kearns to the Cubs?

Re: Rumor out of Chicago: Kearns to the Cubs?

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraReds
    no thank you! to me you have 4 types of players. not ready with great potential. ready with great potential. ready but no potential. and proven star. dan o seems to like that 3rd one. ready but no potential. he wants guys who can play right now but have no potential of getting better. just a bunch of hacks who are just good enough to play on a crap team like ours.
    And Austin has just lit it up and is going to be all world right ?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Williams and Nolasco for Kearns would be a great deal to me.

I would definitely prefer to deal Casey first, and then evaluate things from there. My first preference would be to deal Casey to Boston for Arroyo and Youkilis if possible. If not, I would look at the Pittsburgh offer.

I would consider trading Kearns to the Cubs for Sergio Mitre AND Jerome Williams, but nothing less than that. The AA kid Nolasco does nothing for me (and I live in Chicago). Anything short of Williams and Mitre, I hang on to Kearns for the time being. Trading him now would be selling the low, although I would still prefer moving him than Pena.

If we can ship Casey out, I look at moving either Dunn or Griffey to 1B for the time being, and if we get a good enough offer for Kearns, Pena OR (preferably) Griffey, then I trade them for pitching and/or a good young 2B. Then I move Dunn/Griffey back to the OF and play Youk at 1B. This is my ideal scenario, but knowing Dan O, it will remain just that- a pipe dream.

As far as the pitching goes, I like the idea of having Harang and Claussen locked into the rotation, with Williams, Mitre, Arroyo, and (gasp!) Milton battling it out for the final three spots, with the loser going into the long relief/spot starter role. Other than Milton, I believe all of these guys are under 28 and all have showed some promise at the ML level, the latter of which is a qualification most of our acquiree targets have lacked in the past.
    Last edited by Benihana; 12-06-2005 at 09:50 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

from rotoworld

Cubs GM Jim Hendry said today that he hasn't had any discussions with the Reds regarding one of the team's outfielders.
    There were radio rumors today about Austin Kearns being offered to the Cubs for Sergio Mitre and another pitcher. This makes it seem as though there were no truth to them.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat
    Care to make a comment on Nolasco ? Mitre may not be great but I can name 4 pitchers on the staff i would rather have mitre than them.
    He's young. He's got a fine arm. That being said, his H/IP rate is a little high for a high K pitcher in the minors and he's been pitching in a pitcher's league over the last two seasons (Southern League). West Tennessee had the 2nd lowest Park Factor in the Southern League in 2004 and Nolasco still managed to give up 13 HR in 107 IP. He gave up 13 HR in 161.2 IP in 2005 in the same league. While not exceptionally high, it's also not quite low enough for me when coupled with a mediocre H/IP rate (for a guy who's supposedly a top prospect).

There are things to like and things that scare me.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

These Sun-Times columnists are downplaying the rumor.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/baseb...t-chint06.html
    RED ALERT: Reports in Cincinnati say the Reds have shifted their philosophy and are ready to trade anybody. Because the Cubs were rebuffed in July when they tried to deal for outfielder Austin Kearns, those rumors will resurface.

Kearns, however, bats right-handed, and the Cubs would prefer a left-handed-hitting right fielder such as Huff or the Los Angeles Dodgers' Milton Bradley.

Kearns, however, bats right-handed, and the Cubs would prefer a left-handed-hitting right fielder such as Huff or the Los Angeles Dodgers' Milton Bradley.
    Yep, that is true. Lee and Ramirez are RH, and the Cubs probably would prefer something to counter that.

Quote Originally Posted by Outshined_One
    #1 - His primary pitch is a sinker, not a slider. His slider is the main breaking pitch he uses, but it's nowhere near the quality of his sinker (although it's a good pitch). His problem is that it typically takes him an inning or two before he gets his sinker going. Couple that with the fact that his change is at best a slightly above average pitch (and thus he doesn't always trust it) and you have a guy who is not cut out for middle relief.
    Sinkers age all well and good, but they're not "Out" pitches when a pitcher allows 11 Home Runs in 60.1 Innings Pitched. That leaves Mitre with a slider that may or may not work at any moment.

Basically, all you're telling me is that Mitre's a guy who's bound to have a rough first Inning because his "primary" pitch doesn't "get going" until later- which means he's got an inconsistent sinker, and inconsistent slider, and a mediocre changeup. Wonderful.

#2 - As I mentioned, Dusty Baker has not made Mitre's life easy. He's been buried in middle relief. He would go days between relief appearances on a number of occasions. I feel that his numbers are more reflective of his performances in the minors than in the majors.
    In the minors, Mitre's given up more than a Hit per IP over his career. His HR/IP rate, while decent, doesn't play at the MLB level given his pitch selection and proficiency level. It would if he were better at actually throwing those pitches, but he's not.

Speaking as some one who tracks and compiles minor league statistical information and scouting reports on the Cubs minor leagues, I really like what I see in Mitre. He's competitive, he owns a very good pitch in his sinker, and has a future as a #3 guy in the league if he more consistently trusts his change. Considering the ballpark the Reds play him, I'd have to imagine he would be quite welcome, given the fact that he doesn't give up many HRs.
    Competitors get their brains beat in while pitching in the Show all the time. He gets no bonus points for that. His sinker hasn't worked consistently at the MLB level. The guy has put up a 1.33 WHIP over his 170+ AAA IP and hasn't posted a truly low HR rate in the minors since 2003. He's got two pitches that don't work consistently and a third that barely works at all.

Sorry, but that's not welcome in any ballpark. Ground ball rates simply don't matter if the pitcher in question can't actually get hitters out. Anecdotal evidence suggests that Mitre can get hitters out IF everything is working for him. But the Reds have enough of that type of pitcher already.

Mitre smells less like a potential #3 than he does a less-projectible version of Josh Fogg.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I'm with Steel - I don't want any part of Mitre.

Williams and Tabasco - ahhhhhh, not the worst trade ever, but still not really enough at this particular time. I'd rather trade Casey first, see what you end up with and then if this trade happens and the Reds end up with Arroyo, Youlikis, Williams and Tabasco sauce guy - well, it would be a better offseason then last offseason, and with DanO maybe thats all we can hope for.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    If that is the best we can get for Kearns, just keep him.
    BINGO, I am sick and tired of getting prospects. Get major league talent for major league talent!

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Kearns for just Williams... hmmm.

Williams' scouting report makes mention of his outstanding changeup. You know how DanO salivates for changeups. Williams' ratios are pretty pedestrian at the moment (three walks per nine, about six Ks, about one HR), but he has already won twenty-three big-league games, so he's not someone who's going to need more seasoning.

Yeah, I think I could do Kearns for Jerome Williams and one of the Cubs' younger power relievers like Todd Wellemeyer or Mike Wuertz. Ricky Nolasco would be fine as well. if DanO had such man-love for Allan Simpson, he should love Wellemeyer, who's already flopped in three separate big-league stints, not just two like Allan.

For Wily Mo, I might take just Williams and a B/C A-ball sort.

Sergio Mitre... no thanks. A year older than Williams, considerably less successful, gives up lots of hits and doesn't strike people out.

I'd do WMP for Williams and Wuertz. I like Wuertz a lot. I think the Cubs made a mistake in signing Howry. They have a guy in Wuertz who will be better than him next year(IMHO).
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Jim Hendry was supposed to have his normal press conference at 5:30 but it got pushed back to 8:00 because they are going to announce a trade..

Interesting...........

Freelin' it

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Jim Hendry was supposed to have his normal press conference at 5:30 but it got pushed back to 8:00 because they are going to announce a trade..

Interesting...........
    I assume that the Cubs have traded for Lugo maybe???

Quote Originally Posted by Petitt33
    I assume that the Cubs have traded for Lugo maybe???
    It could be anyone. Lugo, Pierre, Gathright, Kearns, Huff, but I just figured I would post it since there was a rumor just yesterday.

Turn Off Ads?