Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Michael Lewis Fans Will Enjoy His Profile of Texas Tech Football Coach Mike Leach

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Michael Lewis Fans Will Enjoy His Profile of Texas Tech Football Coach Mike Leach

This NY Times Magazine article's a bit long to post here, but it was a fun read and I thought I'd pass it along. Leach seems to be a unique character among football coaches.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/magazine/04coach.html

"Borrow" a login from Bugmenot.com if you're not registered at nytimes.com.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Michael Lewis Fans Will Enjoy His Profile of Texas Tech Football Coach Mike Leach

The best line in that article

Up in the sky boxes, the wife of an Aggie assistant coach insulted every female Red Raider in earshot by saying that at least she lived in College Station instead of Lubbock. ("First of all, we just beat them, 56-17," Leach says when told of the incident. "By rights she should now be a Red Raider slave.")

Re: Michael Lewis Fans Will Enjoy His Profile of Texas Tech Football Coach Mike Leach

I thought that was a great article and thought about posting a link here but hadn't gotten around to it. Didn't even notice it was a Michael Lewis article when I read it.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

This part also cracked me up

As his team raced onto the field, he gazed into the stands filled with screaming fans and wondered about the several thousand "cadets" from Texas A.&M. clustered in one end zone. They wear military uniforms and buzz cuts, holler in unison and stand at attention the entire game. "How come they get to pretend they are soldiers?" he asked. "The thing is, they aren't actually in the military. I ought to have Mike's Pirate School. The freshmen, all they get is the bandanna. When you're a senior, you get the sword and skull and crossbones. For homework, we'll work pirate maneuvers and stuff like that."

Wonderful.

Reminds of the coach of St. Johns(in Minnesota) that always makes the Div III playoffs and has won a number of national championships. They never hit in practice. Never. A book was written(The Sweet Season) where an SI writer followed them for an entire season and wrote a great book.

It is joy to be around people who see things through an entirely different prism.

Coaching and administration in football and baseball are two of the the most stale and inbred institutions in this country.
    Last edited by flyer85; 12-07-2005 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    This part also cracked me up
    Same here, the Texas Tech Pirate brigade
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?