Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Reds trade for Womack

Re: ESPN: Reds trade for Womack

What happened with acquiring pitching? I read somewhere that even DOB said that was the first priority.... so far, it doesn't look like it.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Been there, done that (sadly).

1,329th is Jose Lima (-8).

1,328th is Eric Milton (-7).

Ramon Ortiz tied with a bunch of other guys (including Danny Graves) for positions #1,262-#1,308.

Paul Wilson's quick implosion was worth as much (or as little) as Tony Womack's season-long slow bleed.

The Reds need to change thier name to "BadPlayersRUs".

So, you're saying we have two of the worst 12 players in the league right now. And that the two are, combined, taking approximately 10 million in payroll?

Wooohooooooooooooooooo!!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    The only way this is a good deal is if it's a bluff to get Aurilia to reject arbitration since Womack would be his replacement. Then, after Aurilia rejects it, the Reds release Womack. But the Reds are too dumb to do that.
    I can only hope this is the scenario....kill two (old) birds with one stone.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Let's look at the positive side of this trade...DanO is making a strong case for being fired.

Well, on this note, time to get drunk and grade some student papers. *fart*
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    So, you're saying we have two of the worst 12 players in the league right now. And that the two are, combined, taking approximately 10 million in payroll?

Wooohooooooooooooooooo!!
    Yep. That's exactly what I'm saying. Dan O'Brien collects awful MLB players. That's his schtick.

You'd think that, sooner or later, even the most staunch supporters of the guy would figure out that actually targetting bad players is what we call a "problem".

The guy simply can't tell good players from bad players. Probably won't ever be able to.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

TeamBoone. Thanks for that.

Here's where I'm at with this, and God do I hope I right.

Castellini tells O'Brien to acquire major league players in trade during the winter meetings. Maybe he gives names of players he wants traded, or a list of players, ie. Sean Casey and his salary, but then he lets O'Brien go out and seek deals to make. O'Brien does the negotiating and comes up with these trades (Casey-Williams; Howard/Himes-Womack). O'Brien then goes back to Allen and says "here are the trades I've worked out." Allen then goes to Castellini and says "here are the trades Dan has put together." Castellini approves 1) because the Casey trade cuts payroll and solves OF problem and 2) because losing Howard/Himes isn't that big of a deal. After all is said and done Castellini calls O'Brien into the office and says "yeah, good work on the deals, you cut payroll with the Casey trade, and get a decent utility infielder for 2 prospects that weren't going to stick anyway...BUT, you didn't improve the team like I wanted you too. You didn't get significant value for the players you traded, you didn't upgrade the pitching staff to make us more competitive in the short term, and you acquired a player (Womack) who adds no real value to this team. DanO. You're FIRED.

So basically, I'm hoping that DanO is kind of in a test phase. If he goes to move a player that Castellini thinks is important, he vetoes the trade. If the trade doesn't have any impact on players he views as important, even though he may not approve or like them, he lets them go through, just to see what DanO can do.

and like I said, God do I hope I'm right because if Castellini is the one negotiating these trades, we're going to be suffering for a long, long time.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Well, on this note, time to get drunk and grade some student papers. *fart*
    Lucky students?
    Go Gators!

The REDS have done well with this trade. I think Bergolla is where EE was a year ago. That is he probably needs a year at AAA to develop his hitting a bit more.

From what I gather with Olmedo it would appear that he lacks that next step up to become an everyday player.

Womack has been on a number of pennant winning teams. Also some players just don't fit into a team or league. Womack has always been a decent 2B in the National League.

The REDS have also solved their problem at 2B. RA wasn't gonig to stay for less that 2 million and Freel could not be an everyday play and is of better use in the utility role. Better option than bring in Nomar.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Whether we agree or disagree on the Womack trade. Hopefully we all agree that Dan O has to go and someone who has the ability to make sound descisions in a timely manner can be brought on board.

Since I just got back home after driving in the snow for 90 minutes, has any Reds official said Womack was going to start? I'm all for Tony coming as a bench player but if he starts this is certainly a step in the WRONG direction. Tony, could be very effective the way LaRussa had to use him.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark

Since I just got back home after driving in the snow for 90 minutes, has any Reds official said Womack was going to start? I'm all for Tony coming as a bench player but if he starts this is certainly a step in the WRONG direction. Tony, could be very effective the way LaRussa had to use him.

This is my fear. Same as Aurillia last year. I think we picked him up to start.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    The REDS have done well with this trade. I think Bergolla is where EE was a year ago. That is he probably needs a year at AAA to develop his hitting a bit more.
    Bergolla REALLY needs to work on his OBP skills, especially for the type of player he projects to be, and probably will end up being just a utility guy anyway.

No, Womack will have to compete with Freel and Bergolla to start. If he beats them out, then he should start. We traded away a guy that would have been drafted in the Rule 5 draft, and I am not sure who the other player was. We basically gave up nothing, and who knows he could surprise some people.

Simple as that

Womack has 300 walks in 12 seasons

That is an average of 38 a season(162 games), what in the heck are they hoping this guy could offer the Reds for 1.1 Million?

I have no idea where this team is headed, but this kind of stuff makes me feel like I ate too many bean buritos.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    No, Womack will have to compete with Freel and Bergolla to start. If he beats them out, then he should start.

Simple as that

Like Aurillia beat FeLo out last spring?

Bah.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?