Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Reds trade for Womack

Re: ESPN: Reds trade for Womack

Oh my God, Dan'O makes it sound like WOmack is going to be in the everyday lineup.

My thoughts on this trade have changed alot now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

"We are delighted to have him," Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said. "I think he feels, too, it'll be a much better fit."
    Speaking of better fits and feeling it too, any one of my girlfriends could do a better job picking major league talent using the "he's got a nice ass" metric than Dano could ever hope to do with his binder.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    Speaking of better fits and feeling it too, any one of my girlfriends could do a better job picking major league talent using the "he's got a nice ass" metric than Dano could ever hope to do with his binder.
    I need to start including that in my reports!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you don't mind... I want to use that quote in my signature!!
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Oh my God, Dan'O makes it sound like WOmack is going to be in the everyday lineup.

How is anyone surprised at this?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Here's an interesting bit of trivia. Womack's son plays in my son's coach pitch league here in the Charlotte area. Saw him once this fall watching one of the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    I need to start including that in my reports!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you don't mind... I want to use that quote in my signature!!
    No problem. It's the first comment I've made thats ended up as a sig. I won't even charge you rep points for it. Of course, if you end up making money as a professional scout, that comment is copyrighted and it will cost ya'. LOL
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    Heck Krono, you'll probably out play Womack in 06.

You're scrappier then he is (but not as scrappy as I am. One of my 6 Nobel Prizes is for "Scrappiness")
    Thanks Coach..I appreciate the comment
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    Dude, with that wit, no wonder you have multiple girlfriends

"Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Womack makes an out 71% of the time he comes to bat, he's Glenn Beckert in a hitters era.
    Woy if he is the backup of and pt 2nd baseman then im happy but Womacks not a bad investment for 1.1 million for 1 year and as specualted by others if it leads to compensation for Aurillia would you feel as though this was a good move ?

Retired

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...&postcount=414

Narron "sees him playing a great deal". More evidence that "baseball guy" Jerry Narron needs to be included in the soon to be fired group.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat
    Woy if he is the backup of and pt 2nd baseman then im happy but Womacks not a bad investment for 1.1 million for 1 year and as specualted by others if it leads to compensation for Aurillia would you feel as though this was a good move ?
    Why? He doesn't project to be any more valuable than the player that was traded for him. He costs the Reds 3 times as much. The Yankees were happy to be saving the 1.1 million. The Yankees. 1.1 million. read that again. The yankees are happy to be saving .5% of their salary if it means being rid of Womack.

If Womack starts over Freel I'm going to cry. Just trading for this guy is horrible enough!

Himes was one of my sleepers for next year too. He's 6'5" 210lbs and put up very good numbers in a league that killed every good hitting prospect we had.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat
    Of the 51 players who donned a New York Yankees uniform in 2005, Tony Womack was worth the worst. He'd have been the worst player on just about every team in the Show in 2005. In fact, fewer than 1% of the 1,329 players who put on MLB uniforms in 2005 were worse than Tony Womack.

Give Tony Womack 600 PA in 2005, and there's very little doubt in my mind that he, Eric Milton, and Jose Lima would have been fighting tooth-and-nail for the title of "Worst Player in Major League Baseball".

Now, tell me...why do you feel that paying 1.1 Million for that is acceptable?

In 2005, Womack posted 351 Plate Appearances. That's platoon or "backup" level PA for a guy. And he still stunk up the joint so badly that he was one of the 1% most-lethal-to-his-team players in all of Major League Baseball. The very idea that they'd sign Womack and then not play him is ludicrous considering what we've seen from O'Brien.

The guy makes Rich Aurilia look like a FANTASTICAL option. But I'll tell you- when your front office makes Rich Aurilia look like a real gem, your front office has a real issue. Hmn...2M for Rich Aurilia? Stupid. 1.1M for Tony Womack? Mental retardation.

Right now we're seeing a GM doing stupid enough things that his other dumb things seem less dumb by comparison. Any way you slice it, that's a plan of idiocy.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Isn't this really a who cares trade? 1.1 M and the prospects really isn't that much to lose in the grand scheme of things. At worst he sucks and Bergolla or Freel get to start. At best he plays decent and we turn him around for better prospects than we gave up.

I know 1.1M is a lot, but thats pretty much the going rate for a veteran utility infielder. He's not breaking the bank and the players he may be taking time away also have issues. I doubt this 1.1M will stop us from getting Roger Clemens (joke). He had a good season 1 year ago, had a bad wrist and now lets hope hes healthy and has a decent year.

Its sort of like the Aurilla thing. People complain so much about him, but fact was he was an asset to the Reds. He would have been on almost every teams 25 man roster. He didn't make that much money. Sure I wish he was better, but he was better than what we got. Womach/Aurillia are the least of our worries.

Quote Originally Posted by michst
    Isn't this really a who cares trade? 1.1 M and the prospects really isn't that much to lose in the grand scheme of things. At worst he sucks and Bergolla or Freel get to start. At best he plays decent and we turn him around for better prospects than we gave up.

I know 1.1M is a lot, but thats pretty much the going rate for a veteran utility infielder. He's not breaking the bank and the players he may be taking time away also have issues. I doubt this 1.1M will stop us from getting Roger Clemens (joke). He had a good season 1 year ago, had a bad wrist and now lets hope hes healthy and has a decent year.

Its sort of like the Aurilla thing. People complain so much about him, but fact was he was an asset to the Reds. He would have been on almost every teams 25 man roster. He didn't make that much money. Sure I wish he was better, but he was better than what we got. Womach/Aurillia are the least of our worries.

It's not Womack that bothers me about this. It's how I am afraid he'll be used. We're already hearing all the spin from Narron and DanO about his "veteran presence" and "knows how to play the game".

I believe he's pencilled in as the starting secondbaseman. And that makes my head hurt.

It took an injury to get Aurillia out of the lineup last year and Lopez in. Even though Rich was stinking up the joint, it took an injury to get him out and if Lopez hadn't played himself onto the all star team, I don't doubt that Aurillia would have been handed the job right back when he got off the DL.

I have the same sinking feeling about how the Reds see Womack as I did last year with Aurillia. When he was signed, I thought it was fine, a veteran backup. I never dreamed we'd plug him in there everyday at Lopez expense. This sounds like more of the same to me.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?