Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Reds trade for Womack

Re: ESPN: Reds trade for Womack

Coming up : St. Louis trades Albert Pujols and $50 million to the Reds for Eric Milton, and a gift-wrapped mystery surprise from DanO's toilet this morning.

It *has* to happen. The laws of logic decree it, as a reversal of the absolute idiocy of this move. I might be possibly able to comprehend this deal if it had any sort of sense whatsoever pertaining to this baseball team. We already have Freel, Bergolla, Olmedo, and possibly Aurilia to do the 'job' that Womack does as a utilty player.

To even fathom that DanO thinks of Womack as a starter makes my head hurt. Really badly. Help me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I am a huge Yankees fan (I needed some way to stop from committing suicide-by-baseball), and belong to a Yankees fan community, where the people there are mostly idiots, grossly overattached to anyone who dons "the pinstripes", no matter how poorly or how briefly they wear them (note: this is not true of most Yankees fans, who are secretly harder on their team than non-Yankees fans realize). I seriously expected them to be crying over the loss of their beloved Tony Mustache.

It is joyous mayhem over there. They can't even believe someone was willing to pick him up. "Someone was willing to give more than a sack of used baseballs for him?!" "$900,000, I don't care, at least we're rid of him."

Kevin Howard.

Mind-boggling.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Stats are misleading!

I don't think it's a bad deal....

Womacks last season in the NL, and NL Central for that matter, he batted over .300, played excellent situational ball, and swiped enough bags to but the running game into effect.

In fact, he stole 20+ bases last season, in the AL, and in New York (and admittedly difficult market to struggle in anyway) and that would put him second on the Reds roster.

Howard will probably never see playing time anyway, and I am not familiar with Himes.

If anything, the optimist in me says that this is a sign that they are going in a NL running style of offense over the pitiful AL 3-run homer style they have been spinning their wheels with the last 8-9 seasons.....

Although not a great move, or the one I wanted to see, with the Yankees picking up alot of his salary this strengthens the bench and the Reds don't lose much....

Ok, so the Reds are paying Womack 1.1 million and giving up two 24 year olds who haven't made it to AAA. I don't think its a terrible deal on its face.

What is bad is that the Reds already have a number of bodies that can play second adequately and if Aurillia takes the arbitration offer, it'll increase the log jam.

So far I give DanO a D+/C- for the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Milezinni

Womacks last season in the NL, and NL Central for that matter, he batted over .300, played excellent situational ball, and swiped enough bags to but the running game into effect.

In fact, he stole 20+ bases last season, in the AL, and in New York (and admittedly difficult market to struggle in anyway) and that would put him second on the Reds roster.

Howard will probably never see playing time anyway, and I am not familiar with Himes.

If anything, the optimist in me says that this is a sign that they are going in a NL running style of offense over the pitiful AL 3-run homer style they have been spinning their wheels with the last 8-9 seasons.....

Although not a great move, or the one I wanted to see, with the Yankees picking up alot of his salary this strengthens the bench and the Reds don't lose much....
    The optimist in me says the same thing. Granted, I wish the speed in return was Gathwright (which I have pleaded for on many instances), but Womack and Freel, at least, give us some speed. Maybe they are considering Freel in CF with Womack at 2B to put speed at #'s 1 & 2 in the order?

If we have to pay his entire salary, then I will be highly frustrated, but if (and I suspect they will) the Yanks take the majority of his salary, then we have a decent IF with some wheels, at the least, on our bench.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang
    I not going to create a huge argument but doesn't it make sense that first O'Brien confirmed talks with Matt Morris's agent about Matt Morris and now trading for Womack that were seeing part of the Cardinals' organization coming to Cincinnati. I don't care if you think O'Brien is incompetent for the job because it seems to me that he's not making this deal. So argue around the facts to show superiority over me but I guess your hatred makes you unable to see what is really happening.
    At least someone is trying to think about the rational behind the deal instead of trying to come up with the funniest quote.

Rem

As Steel pointed out on the other board, Woe-mack's speed is pretty meaningless since he can't find 1st base. Speed is useless when it belongs to a guy with a .276 OBP.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    As Steel pointed out on the other board, Woe-mack's speed is pretty meaningless since he can't find 1st base. Speed is useless when it belongs to a guy with a .276 OBP.
    Womack will be our primary pinch-runner

Reds should have traded Griffey & Dunn for Womack.

Quote Originally Posted by Milezinni

Womack alone is not enough for that. If they really wanted to go for that, they'd have to revamp the entire team, and they shouldn't be doing that right now as offense is hardly the Reds' greatest problem. They should be focusing on the pitching.

I don't think the NL stats are incredibly relevant. Tony Womack is no spring chicken and he is going to start to lose whatever he has now. He did not get a lot of playing time last year and he wasn't very good when he did. (And, I might add, he was vocal in his distaste for his bench and outfield time.)

I try to give DOB the benefit of the doubt sometimes. I thought the Casey trade was alright, and sometimes I think he may have a better long-term plan up his sleeve. But I think this is a bad trade, flat-out.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Womack's a winner--he was a key to the Dbacks winning and was a key to St. Lou's run in 2004...not a bad move. He'll do well with the Reds.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse
    Womack's a winner--he was a key to the Dbacks winning and was a key to St. Lou's run in 2004...not a bad move. He'll do well with the Reds.
    I hope he can pitch.

I hate this trade because I have a feeling Womack will start at 2B and lead off. Blah.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig
    I hate this trade because I have a feeling Womack will start at 2B and lead off. Blah.
    Platoon with Freel is what I'm thinking.

Of course, Aurilia may be back...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Platoon with Freel is what I'm thinking.

Of course, Aurilia may be back...
    I'm tellin ya - Aurilia is going to be the new first basemen. One of the outfielders will be traded and Dunn will be back out there and Aurilia will be the Reds opening day starter at first.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?