Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Reds trade for Womack

Re: ESPN: Reds trade for Womack

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Whether we agree or disagree on the Womack trade. Hopefully we all agree that Dan O has to go and someone who has the ability to make sound descisions in a timely manner can be brought on board.

Since I just got back home after driving in the snow for 90 minutes, has any Reds official said Womack was going to start? I'm all for Tony coming as a bench player but if he starts this is certainly a step in the WRONG direction. Tony, could be very effective the way LaRussa had to use him.
    LaRussa started him and led him off.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala
    LaRussa started him and led him off.
    If I recall, Vina was injured and Womack was tearing it up in ST for Boston. A trade was made and Womack played about 135+ games or so. LaRussa had him in there when he was best suited. He had his best year. Womack is two years older and could be used in a Freel like role if he produces. Freel is good for about 120 games. He wears down, gets hurt and becomes Chris Stynes. Womack could be successful if used in specific roles in about 90-100 games. IMO. I certainly do not see him becoming our everyday 2B and getting 575+ AB's. That would mean the Reds are at pure desperation.

Who knows? Maybe Womack goes to ST and finds he can't compete and packs it in. Olmedo has another year under his belt, is faster than Womack and has a much better glove. Stranger things have happened.
    Last edited by Team Clark; 12-08-2005 at 08:19 PM.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotrod
    Mr Unabrow, as my wife calls Womack, flatout stinks.
    I was at Yankee Stadium for many games of Womack's illustrious tenure in New York, and I can tell you that the correct fan diminutive for him is "Blow-mack".
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

They've offered Aurilia arbitration... why do they need Womack? He's 36 years old and didn't have a very good season last year... though granted, he was coming off a surgery.

So now the Reds have Womack AND Aurilia (probably). And still no decent pitching... in fact, they gave up some. Granted, they were prospects but who knows what they might have been, which is why they call them prospects.

Regarding Dunn a 1B... this, from an article I posted in a separate thread:

Casey's replacement would be slugger Adam Dunn, who would be shifted from the outfield. Dunn filled in there when Casey was out with a concussion near the end of the 2005 season, and Narron believed he had enough range to field the position well.

"There's no doubt in my mind that he can do the job, if that's what he really wants to do and he really works at it, no question," Narron said. "I haven't talked to him, but I know last year at the end of the season, he did a decent job over there and he had no problem with moving over to first base, even if it was once a month."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    This is almost funny. Steel has already shown that Woe-mack was one of the worst regular postition players in all of MLB last year yet some folks are still happy he's now a Red. I just don't understand.

Whats funny is the fact they gave up crap just like with Casey and in return got a guy who makes 1 million and a 26 yr old lefty who defintly looks like a 4th on many staffs in the Majors. Should trading Casey and Howard and Ben Himes have netted us Paplebon or A Ervin Santana ? Sorry I just don"t get it ? I truly think Tony's speed and vetran presence can be flipped at the deadline for someting useful from a playoff team. Sine him up and ship him out, freel will get his at bats for sure and he will get injured again. So exactly what superstar 2b is going to be held back by this ?
    In the end 2006 wasn't going to be great so any thing is open to be tried. Sorry but this doesn't go on OB and I am not an OB fan but COME ON ! We did not set the franchiose back by these moves.

We got a 26 year old, improving starter for a 31 year old, slow, bad fielding, no power, #1 hitter trapped in a #3 hitters body 1st baseman making 8.5 millon dollars.

Step being down on Williams, he will be the 2nd best pitcher on our staff next year, watch.

Womack is a totally different stroy.

I come home from a long day at work, a day when one of our customers tried to get me fired (didn't work out that way, yippie)...and I find out that Tony Freaking Womack is now a Red.

Please tell me that this is just some elaborate practical joke on me.

Please.

Nevermind, I just checked the Reds board on MLB, and most of them think this is just fine and dandy ("We finally have a guy that can leadoff and steal 60-70 bases!!!")

I'm going back to being a Mariners fan. Wait, the M's have an idiot GM too.

Ummmmm...J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS! When does football season start?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    We got a 26 year old, improving starter for a 31 year old, slow, bad fielding, no power, #1 hitter trapped in a #3 hitters body 1st baseman making 8.5 millon dollars.

Step being down on Williams, he will be the 2nd best pitcher on our staff next year, watch.
    Hmn...where have I heard something like that before...??

Oh yeah...

Posted by reds44 on 12/27/05:

Dude went 14-5! yes 14-5! Dan'O is proving he will spend money and he is added pitching. Milton will be our best pitcher! Come on guys why do you got to complain about everything!
    Might as well be using a template.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

in return got a guy who makes 1 million
    Actually he makes 2 mill per year and Dan O pays him 1.1 mill. 1.1 mill for a bench rider.utility player blows in my opinion. Again, what the heck do we need with this guy if we are trying to sign Aurilla and have Freel?? I gotta believe we could come up with a darn better utility player for less money or even the same. O Brien blows my mind. I think he does things to make himself look like he is participating. Well he is participating alright, participating in making this team worse not better. I hope Castellini throws this schmuck out the door.

I long for Dan0: The Early Years, when he didn't do a dang thing.

Actually he makes 2 mill per year and Dan O pays him 1.1 mill. 1.1 mill for a bench rider.utility player blows in my opinion. Again, what the heck do we need with this guy if we are trying to sign Aurilla and have Freel?? I gotta believe we could come up with a darn better utility player for less money or even the same. O Brien blows my mind. I think he does things to make himself look like he is participating. Well he is participating alright, participating in making this team worse not better. I hope Castellini throws this schmuck out the door.

Oh I think DanO's done for sure but not for even 1 second do I believe any trades are not going thru the owners approval. Would You Buy a 200 million project and then just say go ahead buddy use you own personal vision. Hell No, so do not just think this is all on Dano.

I think I'm going to call a "shenanigans" on this trade.

That means the deal is null and void, right?

I do have that power, right?

RIGHT???!!??

Yep. The Reds just threw away two prospect resources in order to pay a guy 1.1M the year after he was one of the worst players in baseball and who projects a ceiling of replacement level at best.

I'm getting awfully tired of watching the Reds pay players to hurt the team.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD

I'm getting awfully tired of watching the Reds pay players to hurt the team.

If he's interested, DanO can pay me five bucks and I'll come kick him his (knee).

Be about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat
    I long for Dan0: The Early Years, when he didn't do a dang thing.
    LOL

I was thinking the same thing.

Turn Off Ads?