Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Reds trade for Womack

Re: ESPN: Reds trade for Womack

Quote Originally Posted by michst
    At worst he sucks and Bergolla or Freel get to start.
    Nope ... at worst he sucks and still gets 100+ starts on the season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

By RFS62: "I have the same sinking feeling about how the Reds see Womack as I did last year with Aurillia. When he was signed, I thought it was fine, a veteran backup. I never dreamed we'd plug him in there everyday at Lopez expense. This sounds like more of the same to me."
    True. And I had the same feelings about Aurillia. The major difference is that we don't currently have a possible breakout player in the organization at 2nd base.

It's clear that the Reds are looking at Womack as the starter at 2nd. That's a move that I truly dislike----Tony was a 'bad' player even when he was 'good' and he's no longer 'good'. But the '06 version of the Reds is not going to win the division nor is it likely to even contend for the WC. Womack will serve out his year and then be paroled into retirement. Hopefully by then, Bergolla will have gotten more seasoning and grown into a MLB level player.

I liked the Casey trade, I dislike the Womack trade. Just my opinion.

Rem

I'll betcha Cashman is laughing his arse off right now.

I guess having three guys in the lineup with plus speed (Freel, Lopez, Encarnacion) wasn't enough.

That, or DanO thinks they get on base too much.

Gotta even that stuff out.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by michst
    Isn't this really a who cares trade? 1.1 M and the prospects really isn't that much to lose in the grand scheme of things. At worst he sucks and Bergolla or Freel get to start. At best he plays decent and we turn him around for better prospects than we gave up.

I know 1.1M is a lot, but thats pretty much the going rate for a veteran utility infielder. He's not breaking the bank and the players he may be taking time away also have issues. I doubt this 1.1M will stop us from getting Roger Clemens (joke). He had a good season 1 year ago, had a bad wrist and now lets hope hes healthy and has a decent year.

Its sort of like the Aurilla thing. People complain so much about him, but fact was he was an asset to the Reds. He would have been on almost every teams 25 man roster. He didn't make that much money. Sure I wish he was better, but he was better than what we got. Womach/Aurillia are the least of our worries.

Regardless of the money, pursuing a player like Womack and giving up anything for him just shows how flawed DanO's evaluation process is. Womack is the kind of guy you sign to a minimum deal after the Yankees cut him, not give up two prospects for, even if they're suspects. Why give up anything for a player that is likely to be available this spring with no line of other teams for his services? And if for some unknown reason the Yankees kept him, so what? This is like trying to figure out why a 7 footer can't even make a layup. The stupidity that O'Brien is exhibiting is beyond comprehension.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Problem is he will keep his job if he hits .270 with an OBP of .290. In fact O'Brien and (apparently) Narron will problaby believe he is an asset as a lead off hitter.

Steel, you are wasting your time educating everyone about how bad Woe-mack's 2005 season was. It appears the supporters of the trade are banking on a return to his 2004 form, his career year.

I guess we can reasonably expect Dunn and Griffey's RBI numbers to drop with Woe-mack hitting in front of them all year.

And the scariest part is that DanO thinks he has helped the Reds get better in the winter meetings. Even John Fay doesn't think that after this week of "wheeling and dealing."

This is as frustrating as every Bengals' offseason B.M., when all you could do was sit back and watch the train wreck of decision making year after year, wondering why the folks making the decisions ever got into position to make the decisions.

Funny how in both examples the answer is nepotism, the worst business succession plan known to man.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Me, I like Dooley Womack. If it doesn't work out we can trade him to the Pilots for Jim Bouton.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    And the scariest part is that DanO thinks he has helped the Reds get better in the winter meetings. Even John Fay doesn't think that after this week of "wheeling and dealing."

This is as frustrating as every Bengals' offseason B.M., when all you could do was sit back and watch the train wreck of decision making year after year, wondering why the folks making the decisions ever got into position to make the decisions.
    ... and the patience is amazing. People who have no clue how to do there job are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to run an organization into the ground and then they get paid even more to just go away.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    I'll betcha Cashman is laughing his arse off right now.
    ... first time he's actually dumped salary on somebody else. Probably never realized how good it feels to stick another team with a bad baseball player while getting them to pick up the majority of the tab.

There's simply no excuse or satisfactory explanation which can be offered for the Reds acquiring Womack.

None.

And, you know, if O'brien and the Reds had a history of drafting wisely and making solid free agent pickups during the offseason, I don't think much would have been said about this deal--a collective yaawwnnnn is what I would guess. But, beyond the fact that Womack is among THE worst players in the league, and was in fact so bad the Yankees, of all teams, wanted to purge themselves of his salary, lies the idea that this move is simply another indication that the Reds FO doesn't have a clue what they're doing. It's the sympton of a much larger issue. And that, I believe, is what is largely responsible for drawing the vitriolic reactions we have seen on this board.

It's the thought that "DanO thinks this is a good move that will help the team" that has everyone filling their posts with symbols.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Well being the diehard Reds fan I am and beings that this idiot GM we have has already made the deal, I hope like hell TeamClarks scouting perspective is correct and DanO has a vision none of the rest of us do..

However, I would love to see OB's crystal ball. My guess it is foggy as hell in there.

Cmon Tony!!!!!!! We are pullin for ya!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotrod
    DanO has a vision none of the rest of us do.
    there is ample evidence DanO has lot of visions that no one else has.

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    There's simply no excuse or satisfactory explanation which can be offered for the Reds acquiring Womack.

None.
    Let me try to pick DanO's twisted mind...so please stay with me here. I believe DanO trading for Womack was history repeating itself. Last year, Aurilia was acquired and slated as the Reds starting shortstop. This lit a fire under Lopez and the result, Lopez had an all-star year.

I believe DanO wants the same to happen with the Womack trade. Although, this trade can serve two purposes. First, it should light a fire under Bergolla and give him the drive to show he is much better than Womack ever was. As mentioned by another poster, I believe Bergolla will be the starting 2nd baseman by the All-Star break.

Secondly, the signing of Womack will really upset Aurilia...he will not accept arbitration and the Reds will receive a draft pick. If he does sign with the Reds, they will have a serviceable bat on the bench.

Of course, all of this will blow up in DanO's face and he will look like the usual Putz he is...

Again, this doesn't make any sense at all.

We've just traded our future 2nd baseman (Howard) for an old guy who is going to be our leadoff hitter with a .280 OBP. Awesome!!

Why can this team not accept Freel as our 2nd baseman and leadoff hitter? Why not? What has he done wrong?

Why oh Why?

Turn Off Ads?