Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Reds trade for Womack

Re: ESPN: Reds trade for Womack

Womak is so bad that honestly...I'd rather have Aurilia back than have Womak on our roster.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Lance is saying Womack at $1.1 million is a steal!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just going to comment on that. Jeesh. Steal, yea, that's the word I would use.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    Womak is so bad that honestly...I'd rather have Aurilia back than have Womak on our roster.
    I'd rather give the 2B job to Freel, Olmedo or Bergolla than have either of them on the roster.

Ok, I feel the strange need to play devil's advocate for a moment for Womack. I don't dislike Tony Womack and I don't think he's a bad player. If, say, the Astros could fritter him away in a similar trade, it might not be a bad deal. But he is in no way a fit for this team. There's no reason to get him for offense, because the Reds don't need it that badly, and anyway he can't hit so well anymore. There's no reason to get him for speed, because this isn't currently a team built on speed (and if they start revamping the team based on Tony Womack, well, color me confused; if they want to do that, they should do it with young players like Freel). There's no reason to get him for defense; he's kind of lost his touch here, and there are a couple of viable young Reds here who need to be developing it at this time (I actually like Bergolla). He doesn't inherently suck like Cristian Guzman or David Bell. He just doesn't make any sense for the current Reds, not even in a potential-money-saving way or anything like that. THIS is what drives me crazy about the current management. It's not just that so many of their moves are bad. It's that so many of their moves are so damaging to this particular team. Which is kind of detrimental to management.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I feel badly for Freel, Olmedo and Bergolla. As I said in a different thread, they can play incredibly well next spring training and it won't matter. Womack has been penciled in as a starter. Like Danny Graves before him as closer, Womack will have to fail spectacularly before getting replaced.

I would rather watch Bergolla learn on the job than see a washed-up veteran on the downside of his career. Steal indeed.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Excellent pick up. I would like to have seen the Reds retain Howard. Womack will be a very good addition. Combined with Freel this gives the Reds some well needed depth. This more than likely means Aurillia is out or may sign and be traded. Which, despite having decent numbers is a good thing because of his negative influence. Glad to see Cruz will be in camp as well.
    Last edited by Team Clark; 12-08-2005 at 04:12 PM.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Has Tony Womack been a horrible player his whole career ? Far as I can tell 1.1 million buys you not much these days. He fits that vet bat experience thingy you can swap to a contender later in season so call me crazy, but this isn't a bad deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Excellent pick up. I would like to have seen the Reds retain Howard. Womack will be a very good addition. Combined with Freel this gives the Reds some well needed depth. This more than likely means Aurillia is out or may sign and be traded. Which, despite having decent numbers is a good thing because of his negative influence. Glad to see Cruz will be in camp as well.

TC thanks for adding a Proffesionals opinion. Now I dont feel so silly thinkin this was ok.

some of u guys act like howard was aguarenteed mvp in the next 5 yrs on this thread, when all ive read on others was that we hoped he could contribute off the bench in a few years. settle down, howard was nothing special and himes, eventhough had a great year last year, he was old for his league and we are already stocked in the outfield. i think if womack plays full time he will be productive, and will provide the speed we need at the top of the lineup. it will also allow felo to bat 2nd where he is more suited.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbball10
    some of u guys act like howard was aguarenteed mvp in the next 5 yrs on this thread, when all ive read on others was that we hoped he could contribute off the bench in a few years. settle down, howard was nothing special and himes, eventhough had a great year last year, he was old for his league and we are already stocked in the outfield. i think if womack plays full time he will be productive, and will provide the speed we need at the top of the lineup. it will also allow felo to bat 2nd where he is more suited.
    Agreed. Howard was certainly not a "can't miss". However, he was good enough to ge this deal done. Hey at least Dan O didn't give away Claussen. Now would be a good time to shop Paul Wilson for a AA prospect. Paul wilson will be Jimmy Haynes II in April.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Womack for St louis in 2004 batted .307 and stole 27 bases and only committed 15 errors all year at second base. Not a bad pick up at all and honestly we are pretty slow overall in the team speed dept.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Womack will be a very good addition.
    What part of Tony Womack's game is good? I can understand not minding the pickup, but I can't in any way fathom how someone would think he's a good addition, especially someone claiming to have a future in baseball. Help us lay people understand. i'm being serious here. But you have to do better than "he gives us depth."
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

What depth does Woe-mack bring? He can't hit, can't take a walk, and plays mediocre defense. He is an extremely unnecessary pickup. It doesn't matter what we traded for him. He is an unneeded player at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5
    Womack for St louis in 2004 batted .307 and stole 27 bases and only committed 15 errors all year at second base. Not a bad pick up at all and honestly we are pretty slow overall in the team speed dept.
    What did he do last year? He's 36 years old.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

On the brink of disaster

Here we go with another one year veteran "Rent-a-player' to temporarily fill a gap. When are we going to give a young guy a chance to show what they have. To me Bergolla, and Olmedo have proven all they can in the minors, it's time to let them lose every day at the major league level and see if they have what it takes. At worst, you have very little production from your 2nd baseman, and have to find another answer, but at least you know that Olmedo or Bergolla either do or don't have what it takes and you can move on.

Turn Off Ads?