Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Reds trade for Womack

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Re: ESPN: Reds trade for Womack

Womack brings a lot to the table in the "professionalism" side. Fans forget how many times he has been written off and continues to prove people wrong.

With Casey shipped off and a lot of young talent in the clubhouse this trade is the equivalent to the Reds bringing in Billy Hatcher. Eric Davis gives a tremendous amount of credit to Billy for making him play hard EVERY DAY and bringing the level of "professionalism" up in the clubhouse. We all know the results. Not that the Reds will win the WS this year but it will only improve the "team". Just what the Reds need.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    What depth does Woe-mack bring? He can't hit, can't take a walk, and plays mediocre defense. He is an extremely unnecessary pickup. It doesn't matter what we traded for him. He is an unneeded player at this point.
    i think he is needed at the top of the lineup, and i think the people who dont like this trade are basing their opinions on his season last year, where he was in and out of the lineup. i think he can be close to his '04 form in st. louis w/ an opportunity to play everyday again.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Womack brings a lot to the table in the "professionalism" side. Fans forget how many times he has been written off and continues to prove people wrong.
    I really, really don't want to be disrespectful, but you can't possibly be serious that this is the reason why the Reds should acquire guys like Womack.

The whole "with Casey shipped off" argument implies that this "professionalism" somehow helps them win. They had the best guy on the planet for this stuff and they still lost 89 games.

And how did he prove anyone wrong last year?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

'04 was the best year he ever had, at the age of 34. Why on earth would we believe he can repeat that two years later, coming off a terrible season? The man has a career .316 OBP. I doubt he'll outperform that next year.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    What did he do last year? He's 36 years old.
    True he is getting older. Has his game slipped. What 36 year old is the same as he was at 26? For the Reds this is an excellent pick up! With runners on 1st and 2nd one out and the Reds hitting in the 7th do you want Bergolla at the plate or Womack? I've seen Tony play for a long time. I'll pick Womack. Those runners WILL advance. Bergolla would strike out. When Freel goes down again, and he will, how screwed are the Reds? Pretty screwed. Now womack can fill in. Can't hit huh? Considering he played 6 weeks with a Broken wrist I'd say he did pretty well. Why don't you check his number before the injury? He was hitting VERY well. Do you want Aurillia disrupting the clubhouse every day or do you want Womack showing the young guys how to be winners? This an excellent pick up.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I think people are basing their dislike of this trade on the fact that Womack has a career OBP of .316, no pop, and isn't a very good fielder.

If the Reds make him their leadoff hitter and give him 600 AB's they will be a worse team next year. The only valid justification I can make for this trade is that it is an attempt to get Aurilia to not accept arbitration.

If Womack is used as a BU 2B and the Reds don't keep RA, then it isn't as foolish, but if they plan to start him......
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by tbball10
    i think he is needed at the top of the lineup, and i think the people who dont like this trade are basing their opinions on his season last year, where he was in and out of the lineup. i think he can be close to his '04 form in st. louis w/ an opportunity to play everyday again.
    In his best season, he produced a .349 OBP. That is NOT a top of the order hitter. The year before and the year after that "career year" he had OBP's of .251 and .276, respectively. That's HORRID. He's also not at an age where you could expect ANY improvement.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

With runners on 1st and 2nd one out and the Reds hitting in the 7th do you want Bergolla at the plate or Womack? I've
    Neither! And I'm sorry to sound rude, but if briging up a certain game situation and then saying Womack will advance runners to go along with "professionalism" is the best you can do as far as convincing someone that he's a "great" pickup, then maybe it's not such a good addition. Tony has NEVER been a good hitter, injury or not.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

his CAREER on base percentage is .316.

its not that low due to drastic performance swings. He has exactly 2 years of above .330 OBPs -- .332 in '99, and .349 in '04. I know we all think the Reds need to cut down on the runs next year, but when I say that I mean Runs allowed, not runs scored.

I really, really don't want to be disrespectful, but you can't possibly be serious that this is the reason why the Reds should acquire guys like Womack.

The whole "with Casey shipped off" argument implies that this "professionalism" somehow helps them win. They had the best guy on the planet for this stuff and they still lost 89 games.

And how did he prove anyone wrong last year?
    I had not seen your reply yet. Please read my other response. Debate is what makes Baseball so great.

Casey was a great guy in the clubhouse and a good leader. "Professionalism" is a huge ingredient. Look at the difference Narron made.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Neither! And I'm sorry to sound rude, but if briging up a certain game situation and then saying Womack will advance runners to go along with "professionalism" is the best you can do as far as convincing someone that he's a "great" pickup, then maybe it's not such a good addition. Tony has NEVER been a good hitter, injury or not.
    Just so we're clear. I don't think Tony Womack walks on water. And I respect the "NEITHER" comment because I hear what you are saying. BUT!!!!!! this is what the Reds HAVE!!!! This is the best they are going to be able to do. I would love for the Reds to have picked up a Mark Loretta or even Rob Mackowiak but their farm system is not deep enough and their payroll is limited. So, this is what we have. Tony Womack fits the bill.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    I'm tellin ya - Aurilia is going to be the new first basemen.
    I had the same thought last night, why bring Rich back? to play 1st of course.

Good grief.
    Go Gators!

Just so we're clear. I don't think Tony Womack walks on water. And I respect the "NEITHER" comment because I hear what you are saying. BUT!!!!!! this is what the Reds HAVE!!!! This is the best they are going to be able to do. I would love for the Reds to have picked up a Mark Loretta or even Rob Mackowiak but their farm system is not deep enough and their payroll is limited. So, this is what we have. Tony Womack fits the bill.
    Howard would likely have been able to do as well, or better than Womack at league minimum.

That's not a defense of Tony Womack. It's an indictment of an incredibly inept front office; one that continues to value "professionalism" and "depth" over tangible benefits like "performance".

You may as well have said, "Tony Womack sucks, but he's a gamer and the Reds can't do any better than to find players who suck so he's a GREAT signing." That makes no sense whatsoever.

Tony Womack is a poor performer. Has been for the vast majority of his career. Poor performers are not helpful pieces to a franchise. They're destructive.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I kind of like the move. Womack is one year removed from an all-star season and one of the best seasons in his career. Then, he went to New York last year, which isn't the easiest place ot play to begin with, and he was moved around between 2B and OF all year long. Not really a good chance to do well in that situation. He is in a contract year, and if he doesn't preform well his career could be over. He is going to work his butt of this year. Now, if we bring RA back, my thoughts will do a complete 180 on this trade. If we sepnd Casey's freed up money on Womack and RA I will be pissed!

We could have done much worse then Womack. Playing in Cincy will do his stats wonders.

Turn Off Ads?