Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Which one would you take?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • OJ Mayo

11 50.00%
  • Greg Oden

11 50.00%

Thread: OJ Mayo or Greg Oden

OJ Mayo or Greg Oden

If you were a NBA GM and these two declared at the same time, who would you take?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: OJ Mayo or Greg Oden

It's hard to say. Different positions. You could build a franchise around either one of them, but the NBA seems to be a guard driven game these days. But what do I know. I usually just watch the college games.

Depends on what my team already has. If i'm the GM of my favorite team (Pacers), I'm picking Oden.

I picked Oden, because the game demands big men with excellent skills. While ORH is right that the NBA is more guard oriented(Kobe, Wade, LeBron), its the big men that set teams apart and win championships(Tim Duncan and Shaquille ONeal).
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

You build dynasties around GREAT Centers. For all the Shaq hating that has gone on over the years, his teams have either won, or been runners up for the title what 6 or 7 years? Tim Duncan, Kareem, Wilt, etc The list goes on.

Guards can only do so much on defense. A great Center is also a tremendous rebounder and shot blocker.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I love good big men but I think I'd take Mayo over Oden. The game doesn't necessarily revolve around the big man any more. Kareem only won world championships when he had great guards (Oscar and Magic). Look how many titles Jordan won without a great center. I don't think big men are as projectible as guards are anymore. You might have some 7 footer who dominates in high school and college but when he gets to the NBA, he's just another stiff. Look at what LeBron is doing in the NBA. Pretty much what everyone expected him to do when he got there. He hasn't won any championships yet and I don't know if he will but that's not because he's failed to live up to expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I love good big men
    Do we have an out of context winner?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    Do we have an out of context winner?

Seriously, I would take Oden. But I would always evaluate each decsion independently based on the people involved. If the big guy didn't possess the mix of attributes Oden seems to have (maturity, athleticism, mobility etc to go along with the obvious - size) then I would re-consider.
    Last edited by bucksfan; 12-09-2005 at 07:54 PM.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I take Oden every time. Asides from Jordan, every team that has won an NBA championship has had a dominant big man. Sure, it's more of a guard-driven league now, but that's just b/c skilled big men are at such a premium. Look at all the truly elite teams; most of them are driven by big men.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    I take Oden every time. Asides from Jordan, every team that has won an NBA championship has had a dominant big man. Sure, it's more of a guard-driven league now, but that's just b/c skilled big men are at such a premium. Look at all the truly elite teams; most of them are driven by big men.
    Exactly.

I view big men in the NBA like I view pitching in baseball. Sometimes it might not work out, but its something you have to take a risk on.

And its not like I havent heard of Mayo either. I've seen him play several times in Kentucky and am going tomorrow night to the game in Huntington.

Turn Off Ads?